Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2010 1:49:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The feedback from folks who have them and use them is outstanding. Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The feedback from folks who have them and use them is outstanding. Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I see that (I see that), but (but) - an $80 trigger on a $70 gun?

Pardon the DT
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I see that (I see that), but (but) - an $80 trigger on a $70 gun?

Pardon the DT

Yeah, kinda ruins the point of buying an inexpensive, surplus arm.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
For me it does.  Trigger or another M44 . . . .
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
So the rifle costs $80 and the ammo comes from a tin that was buried in a field somewhere in Romania since 1945 yet you are going to put an $80 trigger on it??? MMMM_kay....

_
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not understanding how replacing parts on an antique anything increases it's value unless it is maybe to bring it into working condition...
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not like you are doing something to the rifle that can't just as easily be undone.
Take the trigger out and sell it separately when liquidating. You can probably easily get $50 used for it when you unload it, so it's really a $30 trigger.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
A mosin is like any other surplus gun. If you take a gun you could sell for 80 dollars and add an 80 dollar part to it, you still only have a rifle you could sell for 80 dollars.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I understand what you guys are saying about this trigger on a run of the mill  MN, but what if that trigger was put on a Model 39 or a MN sniper?
I would love to have one on my 39!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#11]
That trigger to me would be pointless. If you want a better trigger buy a different firearm.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not understanding how replacing parts on an antique anything increases it's value unless it is maybe to bring it into working condition...

<Sarcasm>
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Today at a gun shop, I watched a guy pay $239 + tax for a not-even-that-nice Model 44.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:26:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

So the rifle costs $80 and the ammo comes from a tin that was buried in a field somewhere in Romania since 1945 yet you are going to put an $80 trigger on it??? MMMM_kay....

_

No shit.  Dumbest idea ever.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:43:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today at a gun shop, I watched a guy pay $239 + tax for a not-even-that-nice Model 44.

OMG - lot's to be said for a C&R I guess.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:35:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I understand what you guys are saying about this trigger on a run of the mill  MN, but what if that trigger was put on a Model 39 or a MN sniper?
I would love to have one on my 39!

The Finns modified the triggers for use on their rifles.  The triggers on my M39's are pretty good the way they are.  My 91/30 sniper that never underwent refurbishment has a the Soviet modified trigger on it and that trigger is pretty good too.  "Ex snipers" do have the run of the mill triggers on them as they were refurbished and no one really cared about leaving the original triggers in them.  There is a simple way to improve trigger pull on a MN, but the adjustment is touchy and a little too much will make it a dangerous rifle that can actually fire as you drive the bolt home.  If you are determined to improve trigger pull a Timney trigger may be just the thing you want.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:32:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but maybe it had a Timney trigger on it....

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Be honest - who takes their Mosin to the range and actually fires more than about 20-40 rounds before they give up and switch to a rifle that doesn't just kick the piss out of you?  

You'd have to be a real masochist to settle down with a Mosin for an extended range session where a good, learnable trigger would even be a benefit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#19]
$80 rifle + $80 trigger= $75 used rifle in the end
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#20]
If the mosin action was a decent action for a custom rifle, then, maybe, this would be a valuable item...  Heck, I'm sure there are plenty of Mosin actions out there with shot out barrels or no stock, etc.

But the fact is that it is a sucky action, so all bets are off.

- AG
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#21]
i could see using it on a sniper varient. 450+80 triger
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#22]
An M39 shouldn't need another trigger.  All others do.  

Think about it guys do all this stuff to a Mosin and we have a hunting rifle we can still buy $10.00/bx hunting ammo for.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Be honest - who takes their Mosin to the range and actually fires more than about 20-40 rounds before they give up and switch to a rifle that doesn't just kick the piss out of you?  

You'd have to be a real masochist to settle down with a Mosin for an extended range session where a good, learnable trigger would even be a benefit.

I guess I'm just sick n the head, or a glutton for punishment. I'll sit and shoot mine all afternoon. Usually 100 or so rounds in a session. Most of them 174 grn handloads that kick the crap out of me. It's still easier on the shoulder than my brother's Remy 700 in .30-06. 20 rounds thru it and I'm done for the day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't think that the Mosin is that bad for recoil.  My Yugo Mauser with 198gr Yugo surplus is a kicker.  To each his own.

I can't see buying the Huber trigger.  If you are clever enough to install it, then you should be clever enough to clean and/or stone the trigger that you have to start with.  I have only handled 3 Mosins and all three were very gritty.  

Does it change the sear engagement?  Does the bolt body still move up with the Huber?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
An M39 shouldn't need another trigger.  All others do.  

Think about it guys do all this stuff to a Mosin and we have a hunting rifle we can still buy $10.00/bx hunting ammo for.  

Not for me.... to damn heavy!!  and kicks like a mule....ok for the younger guys, maybe
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#27]
It is your Mosin, do to it what you want The "Collectors" on this forum may have a few things to say about it I have seen one at the local gunshow that someone took a torch to the wood and made "tiger stripes" It turned out looking pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It is your Mosin, do to it what you want The "Collectors" on this forum may have a few things to say about it I have seen one at the local gunshow that someone took a torch to the wood and made "tiger stripes" It turned out looking pretty good.

Exactly do what you want every generation has it's fudd converters that think there is an unlimited supply of cheap "surplus" rifles.

They come so cheap and are in such an endless supply why worry about the history...

There will never be a time when these cheap rifles will be a scarce example of dissapearing history....

So Fudd away and don't worry about tomorrow...

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I haven't worked my way through my 91/30's yet, But for a 38 that I have I could see this being a big plus. It is one sweet shooting rifle.

Thanks for the heads up

Steve
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#30]
It's not just about dollars and cents for some people. While some of you guys are scoffing at the "sucky" Mosin some of us are having fun shooting them and getting very good results. A timney trigger will only improve it. In the meantime y'all can spend $160 on a flashlight mount for your "zombie" rifle...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It's not just about dollars and cents for some people. While some of you guys are scoffing at the "sucky" Mosin some of us are having fun shooting them and getting very good results. A timney trigger will only improve it. In the meantime y'all can spend $160 on a flashlight mount for your "zombie" rifle...

I really like my "sucky" Mosins, especially my M38.  

That doesn't mean I'm willing to spend the cost of the rifle on a match trigger, for a rifle which was never intended to be match worthy.  A Mosin was made to be abused, and keep working.  It's something you might have to take a boot heel to, to jack open the action at some point.  It's a rifle you'd buttstroke someone with; or drop in the mud, and barely wipe off.  It's not something I'd shoot for groups with.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Good for the people who can, I guess, but I just cannot modify history. I was born without that gene
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good for the people who can, I guess, but I just cannot modify history. I was born without that gene

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's a drop-in trigger that doesn't modify the host rifle....
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That doesn't mean I'm willing to spend the cost of the rifle on a match trigger, for a rifle which was never intended to be match worthy.  A Mosin was made to be abused, and keep working.  It's something you might have to take a boot heel to, to jack open the action at some point.  It's a rifle you'd buttstroke someone with; or drop in the mud, and barely wipe off.  It's not something I'd shoot for groups with.

There are far better MNs out there than the M38, many of which could be shot for groups.

This trigger might help said groups, in the right rifle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There are far better MNs out there than the M38, many of which could be shot for groups.

I realize that.

The Finnish Mosins can be quite accurate.  I still wouldn't put an $80 trigger in a surplus rifle.

Just my opinion...It's worth what you paid for it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Suit yourself. But it's far from the "dumbest idea ever" to do so. Why the price of a rifle relates its potential for improvement I'm not sure. If you can't or don't care to make your Mosin shoot, too bad. But some can and do, and a good aftermarket trigger is a cool idea.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#39]
the trigger on my m44 is absolutely horrible. Ill probably pick one up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize that.
The Finnish Mosins can be quite accurate.  I still wouldn't put an $80 trigger in a surplus rifle.

Just my opinion...It's worth what you paid for it.

Granted.

Of course, the real trick is finding a MN that is worthy of a trigger upgrade that doesn't already have a pretty good trigger.

Of mine, the only one I can really think of is an original Russian M91 in really good shape that has a really heavy trigger. If she proves she'll shoot, I might invest on one to improve it's shooting characteristics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top