Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell them you only sent them a copy per ATF's request (its a courtesy) and they can file it or shed it as it doesn't matter.

You may need to reiterate to them it is simply a license to COLLECT C&R firearms and not one to deal firearms.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Well if you do meet with him be sure to use the following words OFTEN during the conversation:

"antiques" and "collector".  Maybe "relic" will also help get the point across.  Mentioning "World War I" a lot can't hurt either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe he wants to offer you first dibs at the department's surplus transferable C&R Thompsons, M3 Grease Guns and BARs?

While you can't be compelled to meet with him, and while he's obviously misunderstanding what's going on - surely you can spare a few minutes to clear up any confusion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You do not need his approval.

With that in mind, it was in poor taste to skip out on a meeting without at least calling to cancel. Odds are, he'll remember it, and when it's time for something that DOES require his approval, he won't be so accomodating.

This.  You didn't do yourself any favors there.  He just might remember that when you call to complain about the neighbors across the street deciding to practice drums at 2AM on a weeknight.

At least call and offer profuse apologies.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well if you do meet with him be sure to use the following words OFTEN during the conversation:

"antiques" and "collector".  Maybe "relic" will also help get the point across.  Mentioning "World War I" a lot can't hurt either.

I took my form to the high Sheriff when I was applying just to let him know who I was and what my intent was in getting the license . He was pleasant and didn't really have much to say about it .
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:03:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I just sent my letter to the Chief in my town like ATF said to do. Not a peep from them. I'm in a pretty gun friendly county here so I didn't think it would be an issue. I still believe the Sheriff in the OP, or at least someone on his staff is confused as to what he was really applying for.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Weird.  I never heard a peep out of the local Sheriff's office when I initially applied for my FFL 03, years ago.

When I had to renew last fall, I faxed it in to the Sheriff.  I spoke with a woman at the Sheriff's office briefly, and got the impression that they pretty much file away such copies & never look at them again.  Which is more or less the proper attitude.  The whole "furnish copy to CLEO" thing is a waste of time at best.  Actually, that applies to just about anything the ATF requires, come to think of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#8]
it was IMO, very bad form to skip a meeting w/ the CLEO. It couldnt have hurt

that being said try and make it right by explaining whats up, if hes still an ass after that, fuck 'em, you'll get the C n R anyway
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

that being said try and make it right by explaining whats up, if hes still an ass after that, fuck 'em, you'll get the C n R anyway

Good advice.  It was bad form to skip the meeting.  Going to meet them in person to clear things up could prevent future issues.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#10]
You are no more busy than anyone else. You just think you are.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you saying the local CLO cannot deny a C&R license issuance ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Just stopped by my local High Shire Reeve's office and asked about the letter that goes along with the app. She said the app comes in triplicate and they get one that is "filed away"
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct , no way he can deny it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct , no way he can deny it.

But he can make them aware of any PENDING case you might be involved in, ones that don't show on a FBI background check..........I think that is the original purpose of the notice to CLEO.

I was ready, willing and able to talk to my COP when I dropped mine off.........one day they may wamt to get rid of the Garands and M1 Carbines some of the force still carry in their trunks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#15]
*NEW UPDATE*

Decided to call the ATF today about the status of my C&R application. They said it has been approved and mailed out on the 1st of this month I should receive it in 7-10 days (assuming the Police don't put a blockade on my mailbox). Strange the day I was supposed to go to that meeting it was approved.

Can't wait to start collecting always loved the older guns.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, thats what im saying. C&R is not like an MG or Can, it does not require their permission, just your notification(which is BS, but anyway)
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I had to meet with the local ATF guy. If I remember correctly he came up from NYC
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to meet with the local ATF guy. If I remember correctly he came up from NYC

To get your C&R license, you had to meet with an ATF agent?!  Is that a NY thing?

I don't know if it is required but I did meet with the guy. He just wanted to make sure I knew what the rules were for have a C&R license. He was very pleasant, non-confrontational. Meeting lasted maybe 30 minutes. I think he just wanted to take a ride upstate to see fall foliage. On the downside it took 6 months to get my permit. On top of that I had to call the ATF acouple of times to boost them up a bit.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#20]
They're concerned about semi-autos like 1911s, cz-52s, cz-82s, Makarovs, Tokarevs, et al. New York is a very anti-handgun state. They are also worried about someone buying a metric shit-ton of SKS's. ATF asks all the time if a C&R holder orders a bunch of the same weapons at once. Buying 3 guns to pick the best one, have one for parts and maybe sell the other fine. Buy a dozen tokarevs and sell off 8 in a couple month period, to a non-licensee holder, you're not casually selling your property, you're an unlicensed dealer.

As for Texas, remember according to the A-holes in Washington, most of the Mexican drug cartel's weapons are coming from the US. I wouldn't be surprised if Uncle Sugar was throwing money (grant money) at the local constabulary for increased "weapons trafficking" investigations/ arrest.  Some of best toys are paid for with grant money or seized assets.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top