Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 6:35:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool, but I like the photo of Churchill with a Brit Thompson, had the drum mag in place better. The Nazis got the picture and turned it into a propoganda leaflet, claiming Churchill was a gangster. It's pretty funny.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Ike looks like the only one using a good shooting technique.    Be interesting to know who shot the best out of that group.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20060402/capt.sge.fjs53.020406204549.photo00.photo.default-380x292.jpg
This April 1944 file photo shows then British Prime Minister Winston Churchill (C), US General Dwight Eisenhower (C) and US Lieutenant General Omar Bradley (R) firing US Army Winchester carbines during an inspection tour in England. The famous Winchester rifle glorified in American Westerns may have fired its last shot as a plant where it had been manufactured since 1866 closed its doors last week.(AFP/File)

Wow! I gotta' really start looking for an 1866 M1 Carbine now. Hopefully it'll be one used by an Indian with the brass beads and feathers and leather straps tied around it. How cool would that be?!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]

"WE WILL FIGHT, UNTIL HITLER AND HIS NAZI GANGSTERS SUFFER TOTAL, OVERWHELMING AND COMPLETE DEFEAT"

(Can you guess where this quote comes from?)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wow! I gotta' really start looking for an 1866 M1 Carbine now. Hopefully it'll be one used by an Indian with the brass beads and feathers and leather straps tied around it. How cool would that be?!

Don't forget the rawhide reinforcement on the stock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Not only does the picture include Churchill but the shooter in the front is Omar Bradley the shooter in the back appears to be Ike. Good picture if you don't mind I'm going to save it for future use.

Alvin
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.impactguns.com/store/media/uberti/uberti_1866_yellowboy_short.jpg

Don't forget the rawhide reinforcement on the stock.

Yeah! That too!

What a stupid, ignorant reporter*. Makes it sound like the Carbine was "the gun that won the West" and had been in production since 1866.

* - redundant, I know.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cool, but I like the photo of Churchill with a Brit Thompson, had the drum mag in place better. The Nazis got the picture and turned it into a propoganda leaflet, claiming Churchill was a gangster. It's pretty funny.

Couldn't agree more.  British gangsters...lol.  Churchill was pimp.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife's grandfather had a good buddy I got to chat with when we went back to visit last November.  For reference, my wife's approx. 1/4 Menominee, and Grandpa Jack was full-blooded and damn proud of it.  His friend was as well, I think.

Anyway, his friend's deer rifle was his father's deer rifle before it was his, and his father's father's... (you know the story).  Absolutely immaculate Winchester Model 1866.  Gorgeous wood, beautiful patina on the metal, razor-sharp rifling and a bore so shiny you could shave with it.  That was the deer rifle.

In the back of the case was his grandfather's war rifle--another 1866 that was dressed with beaded leather, a small string of bear claws (since they're part of the Bear Clan), and some carvings he wouldn't explain and I didn't press the issue.

Originally I thought the buttplate was fully checkered, even down onto the sides.  Then I noticed the edges were actually covered in a ring of tiny notches.  He told me the long notches were Army soldiers and the short ones were civilian land grabbers.

I guess his grandpa didn't quite agree with the tribe's policy of playing Switzerland and staying out of everything, and did quite a lot of travelling to fight the forced displacement of the tribes as it rolled West.  I couldn't tell you for sure how much he slowed it down, but there were a hell of a lot of notches on that rifle.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top