Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 1:56:10 AM EDT
The K31 I picked up recently, like I said, has some small rust spots--mostly on the sight, barrel bands, and a few on the underside of the barrel.

Should I touch these up, or leave them? Will the rust continue to keep eating through? I could almost leave the ones on the barrel alone, since they're only visible when the barrel and action are removed from the stock, unless the rust will continue to eat into the barrel. The barrel bands are pretty rusty, but it's all surface rust.

What's the recommended method for getting the rust off and refinishing? I've got some liquid blue and a nice collection of different abrasives (plus a Dremel), but the less drastic the better. I'm not looking to preserve this as a full-fledge collector's piece; all the serials match (including the stock and handguard), but I plan on shooting it, not just drooling on it.

Tips, hits, warnings...?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:10:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 2:10:52 AM EDT by mr_wilson]
FLITZ, get it at your local gun shop.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:47:15 AM EDT
Not familiar with it... fill me in?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:01:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 3:03:22 AM EDT by mr_wilson]
www.flitz.com/

Mike

ETA - I have been using this product for decades now on my own firearms, it's good stuff and will prevent your minor rust issues from returning.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:01:30 AM EDT
Rub with some fine steel wool and oil. Then reblue with Brownells Oxphoblu. Oxphoblu is a great product.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:41:40 PM EDT
Couldn't find any Flitz around here, but I did find some Naval Jelly that worked beautifully. Slathered that on, left for the afternoon, washed it off when I got back, and went to work with some superfine-grade steel wool in a dremel. Looking goooood.

Any idea how to get the retaining spring leaf for the rear barrel band out of the stock? It's rusted pretty bad and I'd like to either clean it or replace it, without marring the wood (which is in really nice shape).
Top Top