Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 12:40:26 PM EDT
Does any one of you guys know if a bubbad c@R rifle like a yugo sks that has had its bayonet lug removed reagain status as C@R if it the lug has been welded back on and the area refinished to bring it back to orginal configuration. Or is it once bubbad alaways bubbad any help or atf tech branch letters would be appreciated thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If they are non perenemt mods, its still a C&R. With the bayonet removed and its lug ground off, it would still be a C&R......look at the California mods on the same rifle.......
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression a C&R only stays a C&R if it is in factory configuration. If a rifle is damaged, broken, had parts removed, etc and is 'rearsenaled' into factory configuration, then it is back to C&R status. I'm not sure if that only applies to C&Rs that are not C&Rs by age, because it would see that even if you modified a rifle, then the new configuration would still be on a receiver that is 50 years old and would still be a C&R.

As for the California mod, I believe that falls into adding to the configuration, like putting a scope on it. If the rifle was modified in any way, which since it was bubbaized I am assuming it is, it's kind of hard to take off the added feature, especially if that added feature is a shortened barrel, removal of wood, etc.

Of course I don't know the laws very well either, so I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The grenade launcher and sight  must be removed for Ca. sales and replaced with a muzzle brake or by being cut off to make inoperable. An M44 with no bayonet is still a C&R. Century sells 'u fixems' to C&R holders, missing parts-modified parts.......there is grey area, but in this case (above) its still a C&R.

And no, there are mods you can do that will viod the C&R status, even if the receiver is unmodified.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Once the receiver is 50 years old, it is always a C&R, regardless of changes.

Any C&R less than 50 enters a twilight zone.  I have seen the contention that the only modification that the ATF recognizes on a C&R is a modification to the receiver.  You can do anything you want to the rest of the firearm, but the receiver must be its original configuration.

This may be incorrect, but it does seem consistent with the "only the receiver is a firearm" dictum.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
+1
it will remain C&R if it is 50 yrs or older.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top