Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 1:49:52 PM EDT
Just ordered my first C&R piece, a Yugo 24/47 and in turn ordered 380 rounds of 8mm from sportsmansguide.

Is this ammo corrosive, they say no but that doesn't mean much.

Thanks for any response.

MDP
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just ordered my first C&R piece, a Yugo 24/47 and in turn ordered 380 rounds of 8mm from sportsmansguide.

Is this ammo corrosive, they say no but that doesn't mean much.

Thanks for any response.

MDP

Unless it's modern, commercial ammo I would always treat it as corrosive.  The only difference between corrosive and noncorrosive is about five minutes added cleaning time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Treat all Eastern bloc milsurp ammo as corrosive.  It's not a big deal cleaning a bolt gun after shooting corrosive ammo.  Just run a couple of patches wet with something containing water through the bore (Windex works fine because it's mostly water), a dry patch or two, then clean and oil as with noncorrosive ammo.  Also wipe off the bolt face with the Windex patch.

Enjoy your new Mauser, it should be a good shooter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Treat all Eastern bloc milsurp ammo as corrosive.  It's not a big deal cleaning a bolt gun after shooting corrosive ammo.  Just run a couple of patches wet with something containing water through the bore (Windex works fine because it's mostly water), a dry patch or two, then clean and oil as with noncorrosive ammo.  Also wipe off the bolt face with the Windex patch.

Enjoy your new Mauser, it should be a good shooter.

The ammonia in Windex also helps to neutralize the corrosive salts in the primers. That is what causes the damage. It is very hygroscopic- it attracts water.
Just take a spray bottle with Windex, or just water with ammonis in it, to the range and spray some down the bore after shooting. Do not get any ammonia on the stock- it will remove the finish.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses, am shooting it today as soon as UPS comes.   Will give a range report later today, the rifle came from Classic Arms.

Seems nice enough, matching bolt, reciever and floorplate numbers, althouth not sure they are the original numbers or the re-do numbers...

MDP
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses, am shooting it today as soon as UPS comes.   Will give a range report later today, the rifle came from Classic Arms.

Seems nice enough, matching bolt, reciever and floorplate numbers, althouth not sure they are the original numbers or the re-do numbers...

MDP

you might have to clean it real good first.  I'm guessing it will be caked in cosmoline, which might take you a few days to clean and bake out of the stock.  just a suggestion.  you'll know what I'm talking about when it comes.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MDP

you might have to clean it real good first.  I'm guessing it will be caked in cosmoline, which might take you a few days to clean and bake out of the stock.  just a suggestion.  you'll know what I'm talking about when it comes.

-mark

It could most definately take a few days.  I took my stock, wrapped it in paper towels, put it in a black plastic back, and let it sit in the hot sun for a few hours to bleed out the cosmo.  That cosmoline was still bleeding out after the third treatment.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MDP

-mark

It could most definately take a few days.  I took my stock, wrapped it in paper towels, put it in a black plastic back, and let it sit in the hot sun for a few hours to bleed out the cosmo.  That cosmoline was still bleeding out after the third treatment.

theoretically it will never stop.

I put mine in the heating cylinder I made with aluminum air duct pipes and a heater, a few hours a day for about 4 days.

it worked though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple SKS's also and all I did about the cosmoline was use sturdy paper towels and rub.

After a evening and the next morning the stock was not tacky to the touch and seems ok, still has the wet look but not greasy, did both my sks's and did the same to the mauser yesterday and today, seems to work well enough.

Anyway UPS arrived with the Romanian, shot about 3 to 4 inch groups at a 100 yards and about a soccer ball at 200.   Was a total blast to shoot and my 13 year old loved it, must have shot about 30 rounds himself.  

Well, were hooked now....I thought black rifle disease was bad.....

MDP
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
MADDOGPATRIOT

i did that on my first one, and got an interesting surprise ozzing out of the stock the first time i took it out shooting on a sunny 75 degree day.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
MADDOGPATRIOT

i did that on my first one, and got an interesting surprise ozzing out of the stock the first time i took it out shooting on a sunny 75 degree day.

Good point....

MDP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top