Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 1:22:44 PM EDT
When comparing a K-31 to a  Mosin Nagant which is more accurate for out to 200 yards?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How accurate are the carbine versions? are the full length rifle more accurate? which would you suggest I purchase? I was also thinking about the K-31. how hard is it to find good ammo and is it really that much more accurate than the Nagant or any other rifles of that age?

Thanks

The full length rifles are considered more accurate due primarily to their increased sight radius with the original iron sights.  Were you to put a scope on one, discounting any other differences such as ammo, you would be hard pressed to tell any accuracy difference (velocity is another matter though).

Gennerally the K31 will be more accurate than the Mosin.  The K31 is a much more refined weapon than the Mosin.  The workmanship is typical Swiss with lots of stainless bolt parts and much tighter tolerances.  Surplus K31 ammo is considered to be match grade ammo and runs about $0.40 a round which is very inexpensive when compared to modern match grade ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I would put the K31 ahead of your run of the mill Nagant. Now the finnish M39 is a different story. I would rank them very close in potential accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]
With my better 91/30 and Wolf ammo, I can get 1.5 MOA, Ive shot my friends K-31 and I was shooting the same.

So I have to say the K-31, simply because Ive been shooting the 91/30 alot, so for me to just pick up a K-31 and get the same accuracy means I can probably get better accuracy out of it given time to familarize myself with it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Selected at random from stock rifles, using gen. issue ammo, it will be the K-31 everytime.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
With my better 91/30 and Wolf ammo, I can get 1.5 MOA, Ive shot my friends K-31 and I was shooting the same.

So I have to say the K-31, simply because Ive been shooting the 91/30 alot, so for me to just pick up a K-31 and get the same accuracy means I can probably get better accuracy out of it given time to familarize myself with it.

this is much more varying on the quality and condition of the mosin's bore.  I've rarely come across a K31 that didn't have an excellent bore.  MOST of the mosins I've seen have dark bores, and a few will have excellent/pristine bores.  Those are the ones that will probably come close, but honestly I'd be surprised if there was ever one that could beat a perfect condition K31 shooting GP11.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The quality of the ammo and it's matching with the rifle has something to do with it too.  The run of the mill swiss surplus is incredible ammo!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I had my K31 out last weekend for the first time. Using the iron sights, standard SR highpower target, and GP11 ammo at 200 yds, I was shooting 3.5" five shot groups. I can't wait to see what this thing will do if I put a scope on it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
My best K31 and my best M39 are equally accurate out to 500 meters. But if I had to really depend on one in a "must hit" situation I would go with the K31. The trigger (on all 6 of mine) is light years ahead of my best M39 trigger. Which allows ME to be more consistently accurate.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Let's see, varying Russian quality of manufacture of a rifle built for conscripts verses Swiss craftsmanship of the main-arm of a citizen soldier whose claim to fame was being a great rifleman?

Hmmmm.....

I'll go out on a limb and say the K-31 is the more accurate gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top