Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/27/2006 12:34:33 PM EDT
So what is your impression from first hand experience? I'm seriously thinking of getting one for my M48.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:51:16 PM EDT
let me know if you can get in contact with them, I haven't received a reply to my emails in months.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:46:15 AM EDT
Interesting. I wonder if the company priced itself out of existance. $97 shippped for a mount is simply asking too much.

I'll try and contact them to see what's going on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:28:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Shane333:
Interesting. I wonder if the company priced itself out of existance. $97 shippped for a mount is simply asking too much.

I'll try and contact them to see what's going on.

it's not that bad of a price. The clamp on K31 mounts were originally $100 and people were buying them, they only went down to $75 because the maker bought more affordable machines.

I'd be willing to pay $100 for the iron-elite mounts but like I said they never responded to my emails.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:26:41 AM EDT
I put one of their mounts on my unissued M48 about 2 years ago:

http://images4.fotki.com/v42/photos/4/47955/695062/M48_scope650-vi.jpg

I've put perhaps ~700 rounds through the rifle since mounting that rig and it's held it's zero just fine... the only adjustments I've ever had to make was when using different types of ammo. But even then, the adjustments are more due to the scope than the mount.

Pick up the phone and call them. They've always had a reputation for not responding to e-mails in a timely fashion (probably about as bad as SOG), but they're always usper helpful on the phone. I think the only reason they have an e-mail address is to say they have one. Meh.

http://www.iron-elite.com/
PDM Inc.
233 James Street
Bensenville, IL 60106
Phone: [630] 238-9866
Fax: [630] 238-9867
E-Mail sales@iron-elite.com

I have several other photos of this mount on my M48 showing a bit more detail. You can check them out here if you'd like:

http://public.fotki.com/ptrthgr8/mausers/yugo_m48/

All in all, it was a great deal... and I didn't need to bubba the rifle in order to use the mount. heers,
~ Greg ~
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:43:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ptrthgr8:
I put one of their mounts on my unissued M48 about 2 years ago:

images4.fotki.com/v42/photos/4/47955/695062/M48_scope650-vi.jpg

I've put perhaps ~700 rounds through the rifle since mounting that rig and it's held it's zero just fine... the only adjustments I've ever had to make was when using different types of ammo. But even then, the adjustments are more due to the scope than the mount.

Pick up the phone and call them. They've always had a reputation for not responding to e-mails in a timely fashion (probably about as bad as SOG), but they're always usper helpful on the phone. I think the only reason they have an e-mail address is to say they have one. Meh.

http://www.iron-elite.com/
PDM Inc.
233 James Street
Bensenville, IL 60106
Phone: [630] 238-9866
Fax: [630] 238-9867
E-Mail sales@iron-elite.com

I have several other photos of this mount on my M48 showing a bit more detail. You can check them out here if you'd like:

http://public.fotki.com/ptrthgr8/mausers/yugo_m48/

All in all, it was a great deal... and I didn't need to bubba the rifle in order to use the mount.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Thank you so much. Lots of good info and the pictures are wonderful.

Does the cheek-weld work for you, with the scope slightly off-center to the left?

Also, using a scope I'm curious what the effective range of the M48 has been for you? Do you prefer to shoot the yugo surplus ammo or do any other kinds of surplus work well for you?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:25:13 AM EDT
The off-set design doesn't really make a noticeable difference in the cheek weld... not for me anyhow. The height of the scope makes the biggest difference, though. A cheek piece of some sort would definitely make it more comfortable, but it's never been bad enough to make me go out and get one. (It's one of those things you think about while shooting it, but quickly forget about it afterwards.)

I've never shot this scoped rifle more than 200 yards... and at the time I was using gallon sized jugs of water for targets. So, I'm not certain what the groups would have been, but those jugs were definitely getting blasted pretty good. hough,
The only surplus ammo I've used with this rifle is the Yugo and Turk fodder. I bought some Sierra bullets and Lapua brass for handloading, but have yet to get around to it. I prefer the Yugo ammo since it seems to group better (on paper at 100 yards I'm probably averaging around 2" - 2 1/2" groups or so... which isn't bad, considering this is a standard/non-accurized M48). But that was while using sandbags, etc. from a bench... I imagine the groups would open up considerably from the off hand position, etc.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:08:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ptrthgr8:
The off-set design doesn't really make a noticeable difference in the cheek weld... not for me anyhow. The height of the scope makes the biggest difference, though. A cheek piece of some sort would definitely make it more comfortable, but it's never been bad enough to make me go out and get one. (It's one of those things you think about while shooting it, but quickly forget about it afterwards.)

I've never shot this scoped rifle more than 200 yards... and at the time I was using gallon sized jugs of water for targets. So, I'm not certain what the groups would have been, but those jugs were definitely getting blasted pretty good. I would imagine, though, that the effective range of the 8mm Mauser round would extend quite a bit further... I'm sure there are folks out there hitting their targets from 400-500 yards. Probably not getting bullseyes all the time, but the 8mm Mauser round is a great round.

The only surplus ammo I've used with this rifle is the Yugo and Turk fodder. I bought some Sierra bullets and Lapua brass for handloading, but have yet to get around to it. I prefer the Yugo ammo since it seems to group better (on paper at 100 yards I'm probably averaging around 2" - 2 1/2" groups or so... which isn't bad, considering this is a standard/non-accurized M48). But that was while using sandbags, etc. from a bench... I imagine the groups would open up considerably from the off hand position, etc.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Thanks again, Greg.

2" - 2 1/2" is fine from a milsurp shooting milsurp ammo. I've decided that I'm going to save up for one of these mounts.
Top Top