BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 7:40:20 PM EDT

before

after:

K31

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know whether to hate you, love you, or knock you unconcious and steal from you.

Either way both look beautiful. The Yugo looks surprisingly clean on the metal. Was it refinished at all? Home job or pro? As for the K-31, you able to sight it in yet? You going to let it shoot left a bit, or are you going to compensate?

I only ask because a k98 and a K-31 are two of the very nexy C&R projects I want to do (right after that M1 Carbine).

ETA: wait a minute, that's not the St Marrie mount, is it? It looks like it's on the wrong side of the rifle....
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Either way both look beautiful. The Yugo looks surprisingly clean on the metal. Was it refinished at all? Home job or pro? As for the K-31, you able to sight it in yet? You going to let it shoot left a bit, or are you going to compensate?

Didn't touch the metal other then baking and boiling off all the cosmo, more than I've EVER seen on any yugo rifle I picked up, it's was pretty bad but is the reason it came out nice afterwards.  Boiled all the metal parts minus the barrel/receiver to cook the cosmo off, then just polished with oil.  Cleaned out the barrel/receiver with heavy duty degreaser and then some baths in very hot water with soap, and just wiped down with oil.  

The stock was a completely different story.  It had never ending amounts of cosmo absorbed.  Spent about 2 weeks, maybe a few hours a day baking out the cosmo with a heat cylinder I made out of air duct tubes from Home Depot and a small ceramic heater.  Then cleaned it down with stripper, denatured alcohol, buffed with steal wool then started applying Boiled Linseed oil.  About 3 layers of it hand rubbed.

The K31 mount does as you would guess make it shoot left after you get past the distance of where it's zeroed.  This can always be compensated, I just haven't had the time to sit down at distances farther than 100 yards yet to write down how many clicks of windage per 100 yards or so after 100 yards.  Would be a fun day though to get all of that worked out.  Any excuse to hit the range is always a good excuse, "uh yeah baby, I need to head to the range saturday I haven't got the yardages calculated yet for this thing."

ETA: wait a minute, that's not the St Marrie mount, is it? It looks like it's on the wrong side of the rifle....

Nope, it's correct, it's the clamp on mount.  You might be thinking of the drill and tap version they sell that goes on the left side.  The clamp on is rock solid, everyone raves about them and they are solid and hold zero just fine.  It is not that far off the center as some other mounts are.  Didn't take long to zero and I was punching out the bullseye.  Man these rifles are superbly accurate!

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]
VOMZ PO 4x32, german post recticule.

I've decided to sell the whole package (K31), it's in the EE.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
VOMZ PO 4x32, german post recticule. hr
Any suggestions on a good p[lace to pick up a similar scope and mount?
Paul
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
VOMZ PO 4x32, german post recticule.

Paul

from me.

or new from

brownells.com has the mount, and kalinkaoptics.com has the scope.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]

MauserMark

Did you reblue the Yugo 98??? If so what'd you use?

I reblued a K31 I bought a couple weeks ago using Blue Wonder even though I burned my self a couple times after heating up the metal it turned out beautiful.  Would highly reccomend it to any C&R person.  Probably gonna redo my Two M44's sometime soon and sell off one of them.

BTW, what process did you use for the stock, I've gotten good with blue, but I'm lacking in my stock skills.

K
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
nope, didn't touch the metal this time.

only worked on the stock.  The metal has a nice battlefield pick up to it, I kind of like it.

just strip the stock with whatever you like to use.  They're usually coated in shellac.  Then buff down with steel wool, use steam to get out the dents, then coat in Boiled Linseed Oil.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
VOMZ PO 4x32, german post recticule. hr
Paul

from me. has

-mark

Since I haven't gotten my C&R yet, I think I'll wait until I have the rifle before I buy a scope and mount for it. Just wanted to know where to look for one when I DO need it.
THANKS!!
Paul
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the Yugo one of those M48s? It's beautiful BTW.

If you zero the K-31 further out, the offset of the scope matters less. What I mean is that if it's an inch to the right, you can zero at 400 and then at 100 you'd only be ¾" off, at 200 ½" off, and at 300 ¼" off. If you zero it at 100 however, you're 1" off at 200, 2" off at 300, and 3" off at 400.

This of course assumes that you like to shoot at or around 400 yards.

You could also zero the rifle a given amount to the right of POI. Then
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is the Yugo one of those M48s? It's beautiful BTW.

If you zero the K-31 further out, the offset of the scope matters less. What I mean is that if it's an inch to the right, you can zero at 400 and then at 100 you'd only be ¾" off, at 200 ½" off, and at 300 ¼" off. If you zero it at 100 however, you're 1" off at 200, 2" off at 300, and 3" off at 400.

This of course assumes that you like to shoot at or around 400 yards.

You could also zero the rifle a given amount to the right of POI. Then

thanks for the feedback, no it's a German Captured K98 that they re-work.  They removed all German codes except for the "mod. 98" on the side of the receiver and stamp their markings where the German codes were.

Yeah I've wanted to zero the K31 at farther distances haven't had a chance to get out to the longer ranges, that's all.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#12]
where did the k98 come from? im thinking of picking up another from samco
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe the cat licked all the cosmoline from the stock!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
where did the k98 come from? im thinking of picking up another from samco

from a dealer at a Gun Show.  It's a CAI import.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice, well done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top