Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 2:03:46 PM EDT
I recently purchased a Mauser 98k, but the cleaning rod was broken off inside; I was able to retrieve the piece at the range (it popped out enough to reach, due to recoil I guess) but forgot it and left it there.

My question is, what length cleaning rod do I order from Numrich (or wherever) that is correct for this rifle?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:05:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:18:55 PM EDT
The barrel is bnz 41 marked, while the stock is a laminate, which IIRC means it is late war.

BTW, how common is it to find Mausers that are parts guns? Not a lot matches on mine, though the Waffenamt markings are all intact. I understand Garands are commonly arsenal re-works, but what about for example, RC Mausers, or Yugo M98/48's assuming one had no interest in markings?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:37:51 PM EDT
The likelihood of finding an RC Mauser that is all matching (that hasn't been force-matched) is about one in a trillion I'd say. The vast majority were just put together by the Russians into working combinations, force-matching any parts necessary, and then packing them in grease. Most if not all of the K98s we see will be mis-matched, but that still doesn't detract from them in my mind. I like my K98; I just need to get home and shoot it soon. As for Yugos, I don't know how many came in as reworks, and how many were all matching. I'm pretty sure there's at least some of each.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:41:01 PM EDT
ok, so trying to keep this on top, thanks for answering my non cleaning rod related questions....

Anybody? Bueller?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:48:33 PM EDT
My K98 was made in 1938 and has a 10-inch cleaning rod. Later models take a 12-inch IIRC. Try Surplusrifle.com for info.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:22:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 6:27:12 PM EDT by GTLandser]
ok, I applied to be a member of the surplusrifle.com message boards, but a quick look at the Mauser board did not reveal anything that specific, nor can I immediately make a new topic.

Does no one know the answer to this question?

ETA: So FYI, the barrel of my rifle is early war, while the stock is a laminate, and presumably late war. I have not done a complete disassembly--am I correct to guess the hole for the cleaning rod is in the stock? Can anybody take a measurement of their cleaning rod in that kind of stock?

I would do it myself but I am at school (guns in dorms = bad juju)!
Top Top