Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 2:03:46 PM EDT
I recently purchased a Mauser 98k, but the cleaning rod was broken off inside; I was able to retrieve the piece at the range (it popped out enough to reach, due to recoil I guess) but forgot it and left it there.

My question is, what length cleaning rod do I order from Numrich (or wherever) that is correct for this rifle?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The barrel is bnz 41 marked, while the stock is a laminate, which IIRC means it is late war.

BTW, how common is it to find Mausers that are parts guns? Not a lot matches on mine, though the Waffenamt markings are all intact. I understand Garands are commonly arsenal re-works, but what about for example, RC Mausers, or Yugo M98/48's assuming one had no interest in markings?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The likelihood of finding an RC Mauser that is all matching (that hasn't been force-matched) is about one in a trillion I'd say. The vast majority were just put together by the Russians into working combinations, force-matching any parts necessary, and then packing them in grease. Most if not all of the K98s we see will be mis-matched, but that still doesn't detract from them in my mind. I like my K98; I just need to get home and shoot it soon. As for Yugos, I don't know how many came in as reworks, and how many were all matching. I'm pretty sure there's at least some of each.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
ok, so trying to keep this on top, thanks for answering my non cleaning rod related questions....

Anybody? Bueller?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My K98 was made in 1938 and has a 10-inch cleaning rod.  Later models take a 12-inch IIRC.  Try Surplusrifle.com for info.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
ok, I applied to be a member of the surplusrifle.com message boards, but a quick look at the Mauser board did not reveal anything that specific, nor can I immediately make a new topic.

Does no one know the answer to this question?

ETA: So FYI, the barrel of my rifle is early war, while the stock is a laminate, and presumably late war. I have not done a complete disassembly--am I correct to guess the hole for the cleaning rod is in the stock? Can anybody take a measurement of their cleaning rod in that kind of stock?

I would do it myself but I am at school (guns in dorms = bad juju)!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top