Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 7:46:09 AM EDT
I just ordered a K31. It seems that with this gun's reputation for accuracy, it's crying out for either better sights or optics. I'd like to go the St. Marie diopter sight route but I'm not sure I want to spend the money.

In looking at scope mounts I've found two that look promising. Neither approach does any permanent damage to the gun.

The St. Marie clamp-on mount positions the scope in the normal location, right over the action. That seems like the most universal approach in terms of scope options. I've got several scopes lying around that I could put into service.

The S&K Insta Mount puts the scope forward in the "scout" position. That approach appeals to me since it seems more elegant and doesn't interfere with access to the action. I suppose the downside is the limited choice of scopes — also any decent scout scope is going to cost as much as the diopter sight.

Would those of you who have tried these two approaches care to share your experience? What's your opinion?

Are their other options?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the ST. Marie. 1 point though- it doesn't put the scope directly over the action. It is in the action area of the rifle, but actually set off to the shooters right. First time I saw it, I thought it would suck- but it's great. There has been much debate over on swissrifles.com about the scope mount being very effective even thought the scope is not centered over the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Effective enough for me.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
See that- the scope sits an inch to the right, and the rounds impact an inch to the right. Some (like me) are more than happy with that- others aim an inch to the left!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got the same set up as JohnRippert and I really like it.  The offset is a little weird at first, but I got used to it fairly quickly.  Actually used the setup to take a hog earlier this month.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the St Marie diopter setup on one K31, and a scout scope on another.

The diopter set is a quality piece. Sturdy and reliable, with repeatable 1/4 moa clicks. I've used it in silhouette matches, and in HP prone matches out to 800 yards. I very happy with it. The only problem with the dipoter set is the rear sight, depending on the load, may or may not have enough elevation to get you to 800 yards. If you are thinking of getting the diopter set, wait a month or so. St Marie is coming out with a new front iris assembly that is a bit lower. That will allow the rear sight to be zeroed at a lower setting and so have enough elevation adjustment to be able to shoot out to 1000 yards.

For the most flexibility, get the St Marie clamp on scope mount. A few shooters at my silhouette matches have them and have been happy with the performance. St Marie makes 2 rear diopters. One that clamps onto the rifle, and one that clamps onto the clamp on scope mount. They are otherwise identical. The one that mounts to the scope mount allows you to adjust the diopter fore/aft for eye relief. So you could get the clamp on scope mount, and then if you wanted get the diopter set later and use it with the scope mount.

On my scout scoped rifle I use  Darrell's scout mount. He doesn't have a website, you contact him directly [email protected]

I have a rifle with an S&K scout mount and I think Darrell's is a better piece of equipment. Though it may look in pictures like the Darrell's mount puts the scope too high, in reality it is no higher than an S&K or the one AIM sells. It offers more flexibility because it has more cross slots. I have 2 of his mounts with well over 500 rounds through the rifles since zeroing and niether has moved.

I have 2 Leupold M8 IER scout scopes and really like them. I've tried the NC Star scopes. They work, but are not in the same league. The Leupold can be had for around $200 new if you have a C&R license. I also recently aquired a Burris 2-3/4X pistol scope, used, at a gun show for just over $100. It compares quite well with the Leupold.

Here's a pic of my K31 scout scope rifle

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I may see if I can scrape together the money for a diopter to fit on my clamp on mount. I really do want one of them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have the St Marie diopter setup on one K31, and a scout scope on another. . . .

Great post. Much appreciated . . .
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:11:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Darrell has a good reputation.  He has engineered a number of quality scope mounts for milsurps.  He has developed quite a following on www.gunboards.com where debuted various Mosin scout mounts.  His M39 scout mount is very good.

I loath drill and tap mounts on milsurps.  Scout mounts are IMHO the only way to go unless yoou simply want to ruin a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:I loath drill and tap mounts on milsurps.  Scout mounts are IMHO the only way to go unless yoou simply want to ruin a rifle.

I agree but that's not what we're talking about. The Ste. Marie mount for the K31 is a clamp-on. No holes are sacrificed in the utilization of this mount . . . Is there some other reason you prefer the scoute mount?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#10]
After much thought I went with the St. Marie clamp on and a fixed 6X scope.  I couldn't be happier...Essex
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top