Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/19/2006 12:34:07 PM EDT
Springfield 1903 Restoration

I have a WWI era 03. it is in need of a re arsenal job. At some point in its life it was sporterized by Bubba. In its current condition it is near worthless.

Does anyone know were I might be able send this rifle for a complete restoration or a professional sporterization. I have thought about doing it myself. But I can not find a reliable source for parts. And would like a professional job. Your help would be appreciated.

thebrain
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:41:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 12:41:42 PM EDT by BerlinVet]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:23:25 PM EDT
Thanks for the quick reply.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:25:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thebrain:
Thanks for the quick reply.

No problem - Dean's work is outstanding...

Enjoy
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:21:14 PM EDT
No matter what you do, it will still be a $300 max rifle. Do you really want to spend more on it than it will ever be worth? Also, WW1-era encompasses the Low serial # rifles that are considered unsafe to shoot. If the serial # is <800K for Springfield or 285,506 or below for Rock Island, it falls into this category and is worth even less. Your money, your decision...enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:38:41 AM EDT
It is a Rock Island with a 340,000 serial. From what I have read it is safe to shoot, and in fact I have shoot it.

My grandfather bought it after WWII (1950's). Since then it has been used to teach eight of his children and 17 of his grand children to shoot and deer hunt. It has bounced around the family quite a bit and I finally got a hold of it.

Its sentimental value is much more than I could ever hope sell it for. But I would like to restore it so it can continue to be passed along in good repair. I figure if I don't fix it no one will.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:01:29 PM EDT
How much restoration are you looking to do?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:42:21 AM EDT
Well it depends. If I go the sporterized route it would need a new barrel, stock and bolt. If I go total restoration route it will need every thing minuse the reciver. All the small parts for the stock, complete rear sight and its base. The finish is worn and will need to be redone either route.

I was kind of leaning in the sporter route, since it will not be a government reasenal. But my brother thinks I should get it back to original or as close as possible. I really dont know what I should do. But I have to do somthing
Top Top