Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:05:47 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but Ive been looking into getting a relatively inexpensive bolt action that shoots cheap, but effective ammo for medium, long-range hunting (Deer, elk, etc.) (3-400yrds).

I know 8mm is not as ubiquitous as the .308, but what do you guys think of the 8mm Mausers? ive heard the action is sweet, and the ammo is cheap as dirt. im thinking of buying one for around $2-300, and getting like 3k of ammo just because. Should I do it or not?

What I want to know is:
How does 8mm holdup trajectory wise, like whats the drop at say 300yrds out of a 24 in barrel?
Whats the best mauser to get, should I settle on a Yugo or go for a German, whats the deal on these rifles?

thanks

Tac
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:48:40 PM EDT
If you want a like new, good shooter, get a Yugo, if you want a more collectible rifle then go for a German K98.

I just shot my M48 an hour ago.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:09:53 AM EDT
In Europe, 8x57 Mauser is like .30-06 is here...pretty much ubiquitous.

Here in America, commercial 8x57 is often downloaded, due to the presense of many older Mausers, which can't handle higher pressures. Ammo from European manufacturers is usually full power stuff.

There's plenty of milsurp ammo available, from many different countries-Yugoslavia, Romania, Ecuador, Austria, among many. It's all FMJ, not for hunting. If you have a collet bullet puller, you can remove the FMJs and substitute the hunting bullet of your choice. Also, most of the milsurp ammo is corrosive.

If you're planning on sporterizing the rifle in any way that would permanently alter it, I'd go for the Yugo, simply because the German rifles, even the RC ones, are considered more collectible.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:14:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:52:43 AM EDT
I've heard full power loads in 8mm are the cats ass for about anything, but I have no personal experience with it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:13:55 AM EDT
400 yards? You are very optomistic. You'll need a better trigger, Some better optics and some good quality handloads to get you there. That said, it's probably more cost efective to buy a Savage or a Howa..........At present I have five Mauser 8X57's and I love them dearly, but they do have their limitations. Good luck and have fun! I've got a couple that I've poured big bucks into, but I don't regret it, Sincerely..............Essex County
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:25:40 AM EDT
You can not (hardly ) go wrong w/ a 98 Mauser .

The only thing is for what ever reason I've had two bad experiences w/ YUGOs 48/24 .

I ordered the "Collectors model Yugo" supposed unissed w/ bayo , sling , ammo pouch .

Samco Global is the company , they sent me a decent rifle . Unfortunatly the #'s didnt match on the floor plate . THEN I discovered the front sight wiggled about an 1/8 side to side .

I sent it back and got another decent rifle But with both same problems . ....

They finally said "we dont think we'll be able to satisfy you . We would just like to refund your $$$ " ($198)

I talked to the OWNER and every one under him ........... They are all Pakisanes (sp) . I never seemed to get across to them the faults that shouldnt be on an "unissed" rifle ....they refunded my $ .

In all fairness I've come to believe that they may have been "unissed" as Yugo 48's , but they do seem to use old floorplates , restampes , #'s lined out . In our local "big 5" store they are the same floorplate . The front sights are tight .

IF you want a cheaper rifle with matching #'s it's easier w/ a Mosine Nagent , the short 38's balance very nice .

Both 8 mm and 7.54R AMMO is very cheap and plentiful .

I still plan to pick up a Mauser but "in person only" a local black shop has mismatched ones for $100 bucks probably great "shooters" so for $500 bucks you could get arifle and a mountian of ammo .

The only folks I'd go sight unseen is "Michalles Mausers"(sp) but they are pricey .

Those are my thoughton the ?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:44:34 AM EDT

I've owned and shot Mausers since 1972 and Nagents since 78'

IMHO Either one is deally at 400yds and far beyond , providing a decent bore BTW many guns w/ dark bores shoot just dandy .

At 400 yds being a good shot you should very happy w/either rifle/rds

I'm talking cheap crappy milsurp FMJ ammo as well .

I am not talking deer hunting at 400 yds with open sights , but in a milatary role .

just my opinion
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:05:11 AM EDT
Get a Yugo M48 Mauser. I shoot mine alot, and love it.

I can shoot 3" groups at 100 yards with mine using Yugo ammo made in 1949!

I also have fired some of the new Federal fusion soft point ammo for hunting, and my groups
were even better with it.

If I had to make one shot to save my life, I'd honestly grab my Mauser over my FAL or AK.
That 198 grain bullet packs a wollup.

Top Top