as they look like they could double as a flame thrower
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
also what is a short mauser?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
also what is a short mauser?

The low budget shorter mausers are the yugo M48's and 47's, they're an inch or two shorter I believe than the K98.

Both are good guns, the mausers will generally give you more accuracy, but you might not be able to notice it unless you're into precision shooting at longer distances.

The Mosin's to me are a little more ergonomical when it comes to the feel of shouldering and looking through the sites, but the safeties are non-existant.  Get one and you'll know what I mean, the mauser safety on the other hand is one of the best bolt gun safeties ever devised in my opinion.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#3]
As cheap as the MNs and Mausers are you really should get both.  I have both and I like both.  If you want a short MN get either the M44, Chinese type 53 or the M38.  If you want accuracy in a Mosin get the Finn M39.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks sir

what would you recomend???

i just want a pice of ww2 history of my own..

i like the look of the mauser "just personal pref"

but am open to either..
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want a nice Mauser I would have to agree with the Yugo Mausers.  They are built like tanks with an action as smooth as butter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
thanks sir

what would you recomend???

i just want a pice of ww2 history of my own..

but am open to either..

if you want a piece of WWII history get an M38, most likely it was made in the early to 40's to 1944-45, the M44's I've seen are all post WWII.

Now to get something with probably battle experience then get the M91/30, that's my favorite, but again you said you're looking for a carbine length rifle.

I too "like" the Mausers more, doesn't mean I shoot them more or they're more fun to shoot with, I just prefer the look of the K98's over anything else.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In true arfcom spirit, may I recommend both?

+87
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+87

no doubt, these things are so cheap right now.

yugo mausers around $100, M44's and M38's less than $100.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]
say i got a mauser in "GOOD"condition..

is that shootable or just intact?

i see all thease discriptions but not sure how to read them?

thanks for all the replies so far guys
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+87

I've been looking for a good price on a Mauser... Where are they selling for $100?  I can only find ~$150.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#13]
One difference between the mauser and the mosin is the feel of the bolt, the mauser is smooth, the mosin can be a bit rough. I have a Mosin and my step-dad has a Mauser. The Mosin fits me much better and it is mine so I tend to favor it, but his Mauser is a beautiful weapon, it looks great, shoot great, but is alittle too small for me. Get Both
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Mauser! It's the best bolt action rifle design ever made. It is a work of perfection.

I once tried to purchase a Mosin. I was reading the book "Enemy at the Gates" (the movie only covered about 5% of the book).  I'm used to seeing tool marks on Mausers.  But this thing had file or grinder or who knows what marks.  I just couldn't do it. I walked out with a M-24.

The "short" Mausers have an action that is about .1 inches shorter than the regular ones. They are really intermediate length actions not short actions.  If you're going to leave it stock this is not an issue. If you want to sporterize it, then you will have less choice in stocks and switching to a .308 length cartridge is a better idea than 30-06 length.  Yugo M-24, Yugo M-48 and Turk 1903 are all intermediate length.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#15]
He's my guide to NRA conditions
Excellent = Excellent
Very good = Pretty good
Good = A bit beat up but defiantly usable.
Fair = Crap
Poor = I think that's a gun under all that rust.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+87

I've been looking for a good price on a Mauser... Where are they selling for $100?  I can only find ~$150.

what condition are you looking for?  Aim has the yugo 47's for $120 I believe in Exc. condition.  A few on here have shown off these after receiving them from AIM and they were in great condition.  classicarms.us has M48's with dark bores for $85 I think.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
from an engineering standpoint, the mauser is an excellent, refined design.  The Mosin is a crude and rudimentary design.  They both launch a small rock pretty fast, but for aesthetics and sophistication, the mauser wins hands down.  In my opinion, the Mausers are higher quality as well in terms of manufacture.

I'd buy a mauser first.

no doubt, the mechanics of the Mauser are unbeatable.  Which is why everyone including us and the British copied the design.  With the Arisaka's bolt and action being even an improvement in my opinion.

but the Mosin's are fun none the less, just require a little more strength to open the bolt usually.  From battle films I've seen of the Russians, almost all literally slam up on the bolt handle to get it open, on the Mausers this isn't really required.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want a nice smooth WWII era bolt rifle, try the Springfield 1903.  I recently acquired one and it has a very smooth solid action.

ETA  The Enfields are another work of art if you can find one cheap enough.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Vast majority of the M44s are WWII production.  The Mosins are the least expensive WWII arms available right now.  I suggest you get a 91/30 and an M44.  The M38 is neat, but it was not an infantry weapon, per se.  The M44s saw a great deal of action starting in 1943.  50,000 were made in '43 for tests at the front.  In '44 and '45, the Soviets cranked them out in huge numbers.  Probably only the 91/30 was more widely used.

As for a WWII Mauser, I suggest either a Russian capture K98 or a Yugo rebuilt K98, aka MOD 98 on the left receiver rail.  The Yugo 24/47 and 24/52 are postwar rebuilds of Mausers that most likely saw use in WWII.  The 24/47 is an intermediate length FN action while the 24/52 is a standard length Czech 98 action.

I was looking at a post war M44 the other day.  The bore was fantastic and the action as smooth as any bolt action rifle I have ever used.  The war time rifles tend to be rougher, but they work just fine.  The Mosin is as strong as the Mauser...in fact it is stronger, not that it matters.

Then of course you will need to get a No4 Mk1 Enfield.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a 1942 M91/30 that saying it has tool marks on the receiver would be kind.  I think something else had the Russians attention right then.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Mauser! It's the best bolt action rifle design ever made. It is a work of perfection.

I once tried to purchase a Mosin. I was reading the book "Enemy at the Gates" (the movie only covered about 5% of the book).  I'm used to seeing tool marks on Mausers.  But this thing had file or grinder or who knows what marks.  I just couldn't do it. I walked out with a M-24.

The "short" Mausers have an action that is about .1 inches shorter than the regular ones. They are really intermediate length actions not short actions.  If you're going to leave it stock this is not an issue. If you want to sporterize it, then you will have less choice in stocks and switching to a .308 length cartridge is a better idea than 30-06 length.  Yugo M-24, Yugo M-48 and Turk 1903 are all intermediate length.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 8 Mausers and 13 Mosin Nagants.  Mausers generally have better finsihes and smoother actions.  Mosin Nagants are sturdy well built rifles too.  Those made after the German invasion were made in a hurry with not time for pretty finsihes, hence the tool marks.  those made before WWII have pretty good finsihes.  Both are good shooters.  The Finnish variations/reworks of Mosins are my most accurate milsurps.  

Mauser sights are harder to use and for older eyes, the MN sights are great.  With my older eyes the MN sights are much easier and faster to use.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There's your answer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:09:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Both Mausers and M38/44's are cheap as dirt.  The ammo for both can be had for a pittance.  

Get one of each.  My M48 is a sleek, well made, for military, gun. My M44 is a little more coarse, but has beter, in my opinion, sights.  Both are cool and cheap.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I would prefer the mauser unless the Mosin was a Finnish M39.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#26]
The current SOG flier has Turkish model 38 Mausers for $59.95, Yugo M24/47 for $109.95, Yugo M48 for $99.95, and model 1903/38 for $89.95.  Lee Enfields for $105-$179, Schmidt-Rubin K-31 for $89.95, and Mosins for $65 $100.

Lots of choices in the sub $200 range.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Those prices are for FFL's and C&R lincense holders correct?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Those prices are for FFL's and C&R lincense holders correct?

Correct.  But my local FFL will order most anything I want for between $20 and $50.  More reason to get your C&R.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top