Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 3:56:56 PM EDT
Picked up these two beauties this weekend and had a blast (afterward painful) time at the range on Sunday. Usery was especially crowded for some reason seeing how the Daytona was being run. The top is an M44 Mosin-Nagant and the bottom is an Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine.

I have been looking for a No. 5 forever and finally found a restored example at a great price. She was built in 1947 by BSA, matching serial (BDXXXX), correct markings, correct lightening cuts, awesome rifling in the barrel, the works; after about 5 hours of examination I am absolutely convinced that this is an original No 5. Mk. 1. The only gripe I have is the front sight blade; too small and the ears flimsy. I will be converting it into an M1A front sight (of course original muzzle/sight/bayo unit will be kept for originality sake if I ever wanted to convert back.)

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That TINY front sight is hard to pick up.

I've heard that stuff is difficult to remove.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Picked up these two beauties this weekend and had a blast (afterward painful) time at the range on Sunday. Usery was especially crowded for some reason seeing how the Daytona was being run. The top is an M44 Mosin-Nagant and the bottom is an Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine.

I have been looking for a No. 5 forever and finally found a restored example at a great price. She was built in 1947 by BSA, matching serial (BDXXXX), correct markings, correct lightening cuts, awesome rifling in the barrel, the works; after about 5 hours of examination I am absolutely convinced that this is an original No 5. Mk. 1. The only gripe I have is the front sight blade; too small and the ears flimsy. I will be converting it into an M1A front sight (of course original muzzle/sight/bayo unit will be kept for originality sake if I ever wanted to convert back.)

img164.imageshack.us/img164/6135/enfield8lt.jpg

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've heard that stuff is difficult to remove.

You're absolutely right. You'll ruin it if you're not VERY careful....and turn a $500 No5 into a $200 No5.

Why not get a new front blade for it? They're out there, or you could have one made for less fuss than trying to remove it and putting on an M1 sight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I am thinking more along the lines of machining the stock front sight into a dovetail for the M1 front sight post to mount on, not going to actually remove the entire front end. There seem to be more than enough metal there and the M1 front sight post should be tall enough .
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well I am thinking more along the lines of machining the stock front sight into a dovetail for the M1 front sight post to mount on, not going to actually remove the entire front end. There seem to be more than enough metal there and the M1 front sight post should be tall enough .

Machining it is irreversible, whereas using a beefed up No4 sight isn't. I can't recall the outfit that has the heavier front posts, but I think Brownells or Springfield Sporters carries them. Should be a heck of a lot easier and less permanent than cutting the front base.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
It's your gun, BUT DON'T DO IT !

Get yourself an already "Bubba-ized" one and do the M1A front sight.  Leave the N0 5 alone or just add the thicker sight like swingset says.

Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]
must concur with weptek911... much too nice to chop up. 'Tommy' had to put up with that sight you know.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's your gun, BUT DON'T DO IT !

Get yourself an already "Bubba-ized" one and do the M1A front sight.  Leave the N0 5 alone or just add the thicker sight like swingset says.

Do it for the children.

+1! I've got an original Mk V, 2/47 Fazakerley. Leave that baby alone! You get used to the sight, believe me.

And use only good ammo in it, not that *^&% click-bang POF surplus ammo. I use only S&B or HXP in mine. Mine had never been fired until I got it. Made sure I never used corrosive-primered ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top