Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:46:34 AM EDT
Hey guys I am fairly new to the C&R world. I have a beutiful 41AX (Very rare code) German 98K with all original markings intact. I am considering putting a scope on her. Don't worry it would be a clamp on so that I do not have to drill and tap into her. In researching the best setup to use it seems like I need the answers to 2 questions. Being new- I don;t know the answers. Can you tell me how I tell the following.

1) DO I have a Bent bolt or straight bolt rifle?

2) DO I have a large ring or short ring mauser?

Thanx for helping-
Bill
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The bolt handle is either bent down or sticking straight out when closed, it's easy to tell.

It's not "short ring" but "small ring" You can tell a large ring by the fact that the reciever ring is LARGER in diameter than the middle of the reciever. If it is a true 98K, you have a long action, large ring bent bolt handle rifle.

I would STRONGLY advise against scoping this rifle in ANY way, you'd be better served by buying a cheapo M48 mauser and scoping that, and leaving the rarer rifle in original condition with the original sights. Too many have been modified/butchered already.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with rabid on leaving it alone, but if you are dead set on a scope mount here is a decent one.  It alows you to use a normal rifle scope, although I heard some people had to file a little material off their handguard to get this to sit when using on an m48 (the m48 version of this mount), but on a 98k it should be fine.  This would be a good option for something other than a scout mount.  

As far as bent bolt, that basically just refers to the handle.  If the handle sticks straight out from the side of the bolt body, and does not bend, then it is straight.  If it comes out and is turned down, then it is a bent bolt.  

oops, forgot the linkwww.iron-elite.com/
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The only reason I am leaning towards putting a scope on it is that I want to take a deer with it. Stating next hunting season I want to try to take a deer with my 98K, K31, and M38. I have to take it to the range. If the iron sites are on and i have enough confidence with it to hunt as is I will. I just want to make sure to put an ethical shot on a whitetail.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only reason I am leaning towards putting a scope on it is that I want to take a deer with it. Stating next hunting season I want to try to take a deer with my 98K, K31, and M38. I have to take it to the range. If the iron sites are on and i have enough confidence with it to hunt as is I will. I just want to make sure to put an ethical shot on a whitetail.

You can take a deer with iron sights.  The krauts took more than a deer with those iron sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top