Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 7:39:18 PM EDT
how long does it take after sending the C&R paperwork out to get your license (turnaround time)?

also when do you start getting fliers from distributors selling their C&R eligable firearms?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I filled out & mailed the application in October.  My card was charged in November and I received my license at the end of January 2006.  Hope you don't have to wait that long.

Sent a copy to several distributors and catalogs are just beginning to show up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I filled out & mailed the application in October.  My card was charged in November and I received my license at the end of January 2006.  Hope you don't have to wait that long.

Sent a copy to several distributors and catalogs are just beginning to show up.

sounds slow and lengthy...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
sounds slow and lengthy...

It can be.  From my understanding, applications are grouped by state and a person at the BATF is assigned to process the applications from certain states (ie LA, FL, AR).  If that person happens to work slow, take vacation, out sick, etc., your application may take longer.

A phone call may help but you have to get pass the operator and speak to the person actually processing the application....and be very nice.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The state you are from is directly linked to how long it will take. My buddy in Kentuck got his in 3 weeks. My buddy in Massachucetts got his in 15 weeks. I live in Maryland,it's been 4 weeks and counting.
You wont get the fliers until you contact those companies and request them. Basically you mail a copy of you C&R to all the people you could potentially order from. This will start the onslaught of catalogues. It also kicks in the dealer discount with people like midway,Brownells etc.

Bill

PS You guys elected Hillary Clinton- yours could take years!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The state you are from is directly linked to how long it will take. My buddy in Kentuck got his in 3 weeks. My buddy in Massachucetts got his in 15 weeks. I live in Maryland,it's been 4 weeks and counting.
You wont get the fliers until you contact those companies and request them. Basically you mail a copy of you C&R to all the people you could potentially order from. This will start the onslaught of catalogues. It also kicks in the dealer discount with people like midway,Brownells etc.

Bill

PS You guys elected Hillary Clinton- yours could take years!!

great..
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Isn't there something in the C&R law that says the gubment must respond either yeah or nay within a certain amount of time. I think I read somewhere that there is a procedure you go through to light a fire under their collective butts . . .

Ah, here it is:

§ 178.47 Issuance of license . . .

(c) The Chief, National Licensing Center, shall approve or the Director of Industry Operations shall deny an application for license within the 60-day period beginning on the date the properly executed application was received: Provided, That when an applicant for license renewal is a person who is, pursuant to the provisions of § 178.78, § 178.143, or § 178.144, conducting business or collecting activity under a previously issued license, action regarding the application will be held in abeyance pending the completion of the proceedings against applicant's existing license or license application, final determination of the applicant's criminal case, or final action by the Director on an application for relief submitted pursuant to § 178.144, as the case may be.

(d) When the Director of Industry Operations or the Chief, National Licensing Center fails to act on an application for license within the 60-day period prescribed by paragraph (c) of this section, the applicant may file an action under section 1361 of title 28, United States Code, to compel ATF to act upon the application.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Isn't there something in the C&R law that says the gubment must respond either yeah or nay within a certain amount of time. I think I read somewhere that there is a procedure you go through to light a fire under their collective butts . . .

Ah, here it is:

§ 178.47 Issuance of license . . .

(c) The Chief, National Licensing Center, shall approve or the Director of Industry Operations shall deny an application for license within the 60-day period beginning on the date the properly executed application was received: Provided, That when an applicant for license renewal is a person who is, pursuant to the provisions of § 178.78, § 178.143, or § 178.144, conducting business or collecting activity under a previously issued license, action regarding the application will be held in abeyance pending the completion of the proceedings against applicant's existing license or license application, final determination of the applicant's criminal case, or final action by the Director on an application for relief submitted pursuant to § 178.144, as the case may be.

(d) When the Director of Industry Operations or the Chief, National Licensing Center fails to act on an application for license within the 60-day period prescribed by paragraph (c) of this section, the applicant may file an action under section 1361 of title 28, United States Code, to compel ATF to act upon the application.

ohh, good deal, ill keep this on hand, in case they slow my application process down to a crawl.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
For me it has been approximately two weeks for them to charge my CC, it has been a week since then and I haven't got my license yet. I will post when it gets here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
My credit card got charged 2 days after I mailed my app. That was 4 weeks ago ... still waiting
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
my app will be shipped the day I turn 21...I want to get my C&R so bad...

I dont want to miss out on the current surplus rifle bargins
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
4 months for me. Now that I have it the wait was worth it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I received mine five weeks after mailing it off.  I received the certificate first, and in a two week period, I've received 9 of the same packets.  I had to apologize to my mail carrier.  One will fit in the mail box, but when there were two, she would place them at the door.  I was lucky she didn't put one of those 'package too large, pickup at the post office note' in the mail box.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine took a little over 4 months because the ATF lost my app.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

they "lost"  it
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they "lost"  it

That's what they said.

I mailed my application in late September, they charged my bank account 3 days later. Sometime in late October/early November I called them to check the status and they told me I was pending... Mid December still no license, so I called again to check the status of my app. This time they couldn't find me in the system by name, Social Security#, DOB, etc. However they did find the $30 charge that they had made to my bank account, but couldn't find anything else associated with it. So after a few more phone calls I wound up faxing Daisy (who was very helpful) the photocopies I made of my original paperwork and received my license about 3 weeks later.

Our tax dollars hard at work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they "lost"  it

That's what they said.

I mailed my application in late September, they charged my bank account 3 days later. Sometime in late October/early November I called them to check the status and they told me I was pending... Mid December still no license, so I called again to check the status of my app. This time they couldn't find me in the system by name, Social Security#, DOB, etc. However they did find the $30 charge that they had made to my bank account, but couldn't find anything else associated with it. So after a few more phone calls I wound up faxing Daisy (who was very helpful) the photocopies I made of my original paperwork and received my license about 3 weeks later.

Our tax dollars hardly at work.

fixed it for you
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I requested an application from their website last week. How long does it usually take to get those out?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I requested an application from their website last week. How long does it usually take to get those out?

i got mine in like 2 days, no lie...it was FAST
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:28:40 AM EDT
[#19]
The wait begins.. my CC was charged the 19th of Feb...  Ahh.. prepairing for the poor house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top