Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 10:18:48 AM EDT
I REALLY don't want to pay this much, but I've been looking for a 3rd Mauser, to add to my 2 beaters, that is in better condition. That little thing has me going back and looknig again and again. It'd got me hyp-no-tized with it's daintyness.
However, the idea of that much punch in such a small package really interests me. Kind of like the dinky 30-30's. A great brush gun.
But 495 plus shipping and transfer and all that crap has me holding off. Has anyone ever dealt with the quality of their guns? Is it just better to look the other way and saw off a Yugo Mauser?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The Mitchell carbine can be found on the Zastava web page.  I have no reason to believe that it now or ever has had any connection to tanks or any other armored vehicles.

As with all Mitchell products, it is overhyped and over priced.  If you simply can not control your desire for one of these, well it is your money.

However, this carbine has no more historical provenance than a new set of toenail clippers from WalMart.

If you want a kick ass carbine, get a Mosin-Nagant.  They are estremely durable and easy to find for under $100.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
yep they did an article on these in guns magazine and they are indeed new production rifles. pretty nice little piece though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
i like them(not the mitchell's pricethough).  they remind me of the german G33/40 mtn carbine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
They look pretty cute in the pictures but I wonder about the recoil and blast from a short Mauser carbine.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I REALLY don't want to pay this much, but I've been looking for a 3rd Mauser, to add to my 2 beaters, that is in better condition. That little thing has me going back and looknig again and again. It'd got me hyp-no-tized with it's daintyness.
However, the idea of that much punch in such a small package really interests me. Kind of like the dinky 30-30's. A great brush gun.
But 495 plus shipping and transfer and all that crap has me holding off. Has anyone ever dealt with the quality of their guns? Is it just better to look the other way and saw off a Yugo Mauser?

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want a Mauser short carbine, at least get a real one. Though they will cost a bit more.

Iranian M49 in 8mm (photo courtesy of Empire Arms - sold for $750

Venezuelan FN 24/30 short carbine in 7mm (mine)

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
yep they did an article on these in guns magazine and they are indeed new production rifles. pretty nice little piece though.

That's my understanding. It's not about historical accuracy for me. It's just the idea of a carbine that is a new production model.
Plus, I wouldn't think that the kick would be any different than a 30-30, or even the .270 break open carbine that I shot last week that is even smaller than this gun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
THEY SHOOT REAL HIGH...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure an 8x57 carbine will NOT kick more than a 30-30 if you are.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my understanding. It's not about historical accuracy for me. It's just the idea of a carbine that is a new production model.
Plus, I wouldn't think that the kick would be any different than a 30-30, or even the .270 break open carbine that I shot last week that is even smaller than this gun.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe Sarco Inc, had some of these but they were called a Dutch Police Carbine. They were $495 and the barrel was just over 17in. I saw these while I was in the Army in Germany. They were a darker stained stock and shorter than the G33/40.  This was in 1997 and alot of mausers were coming out of Russian than and hitting the surplus market in Europe. I saw quite afew refurbed G33/40 and even 3 in mint condition but they were sold by the time I made it to Frankonia Jagd, the German hunting store. I did buy one of these Dutch Police Carbines in 8x57 and they do have a nice kick, especially with Turk ammo. I had a hell of a time gettin it and my 2 Swede's back in the US. If you get a chance to visit Germany, check out a Frankonia Jadg and don't forget the Cuban cigars at the Frankfort Airport
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top