Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/9/2006 5:53:03 AM EDT
The old bolt guns just beg for something more than paper target or coke cans.
What do you use?

I have an almost unlimited supply of 1/4" thick steel, in the form of a square tube. An 8" long section of that, with some chain welded on it, hung by an S hook is a great reactive target. They can usually take 100 hits before they are too shredded for any more good use.
The pieces of steel that go under railroad ties also work well. Finding them along the tracks, where they've been tossed aside after a repair is a hit and miss proposition though. However, when you do find them, they work great. The already have holes in them for the spikes to go through, so hanging them is very easy. Some of them last forever, and others take 10 hits and then break.

Afriend of mine once scored a manhole cover that took TONS of hits before falling apart. It seems that repeated mag dumps from an AK, coupled with about 10 hits from a S&W .500 finally did it in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:39:56 AM EDT
Well lets see, mufflers, water pumps, bell housings video tapes computers iron weights blocks of marble fruit watermelons cans cd's moniters lawn mowers tires rims mechanical paper folders and baby seals just kidding about the baby seals everthing else killed it. rusty bell housing's are fun to shoot at night lots of sparks. Oh yea I also shot a water fountain that was cool to. The church that I am a youth pastor at, gives me stuff to shoot when it breaks. Just a little job benifiet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:47:10 AM EDT
There is a guy from OR that has come to some of our shows in WA recently that sells 6" and 12" round 3/8" AR500 targets with ears/holes for hanging. Picked up one of each.

A bunch of us spent several hours shooting at them from about 80 yds with .223, .308 and various pistol calibers. Took all the paint off of them but just left very very shallow pockmarks on the targets. Made a nice clang when struck.

I believe they were somewhere around $35 or $40 each (a little more for the larger, a little less for the smaller). I'm going to pick up a couple more next time I see him.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:20:18 AM EDT
I fill up empty soda or water jugs with food coloring and a little dish detergent. Soft points blow the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:52:41 AM EDT
I like to shoot Nazi's.

Gotta keep things realistic, ya know?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:42:45 PM EDT
5/8" and 3/4" mild grade steel plates about 6x6 in size hanging from chains. Works great @ 100yds. The group I usually go shooting with blasts them with everything from 8mm and smaller. They usually take 6-700 rounds each before they are hammered enough that they get hardened and are brittle enough to start cracking.

Once you shoot steel... Paper is just for sighting in...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:21:23 AM EDT
The range I shoot at is pretty strict so just paper, clays and zombies. Amazing how many zombie heads an AP 30-06 can go through.
Top Top