Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/8/2006 7:39:05 AM EDT
Does anyone regret getting a C&R? Jack booted thugs at your door? Gubment intrusion, paperwork hassles, that sort of thing? In other words is there a downside? Speak fast, I've got stamps on the envelopes as a type . . .
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:45:40 AM EDT
Nope, no problems that I've ever had. Other than the constant depletion of my checking account that is only to be used for emergencies.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:28:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/8/2006 8:31:10 AM EDT by Pthfndr]
The only problem I've run into, which wasn't really a problem, is when buying a firearm from a private party who is not licensed. Since you are licensed you are supposed to enter their information in your bound book. I've had a couple balk at showing me I.D. Once I explain why I want / need it they furnish it. Never lost out on a purchase because of it.

Come to think of it, I even had that problem with a dealer once when buying a rifle at an out of state gunshow. He wanted to see a copy of MY license but wouldn't show me his
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:29:45 AM EDT
I'm kind of grumpy usually and I'm concerned about having some loser for a compliance inspector. Not really worried about compliance but my reaction to being inspected.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
Does anyone regret getting a C&R? Jack booted thugs at your door? Gubment intrusion, paperwork hassles, that sort of thing? In other words is there a downside? Speak fast, I've got stamps on the envelopes as a type . . .

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:34:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By djenkins:
I'm kind of grumpy usually and I'm concerned about having some loser for a compliance inspector. Not really worried about compliance but my reaction to being inspected.

Does BATF actually come to your home and inspect your collection and/or bound book? How often?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:16:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:13:28 PM EDT
It's happened. Not supposed to but you are NOT suppposed to get a loser like that either.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

Originally Posted By djenkins:

Does BATF actually come to your home and inspect your collection and/or bound book? How often?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:54:28 PM EDT
Other than the UPS man greeting you with long boxes and the depletion of your checking account, I cant think of any bad reasons.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:16:57 PM EDT
Well the application and CLEO copy went in the mail today . . .
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:57:43 AM EDT
Curious about the C&R license too. As a condition of getting the license, you agree to allow the BATF to come to your home and inspect your records (and collection)? That's why I got rid of my FFL back when X42 became president! I recognize that with the current president, there is a greater level of trust among gun owners with regard to the "regulatory zeal" of the BATF, but...what if Hallary were to become pres.? Yikes!

dvo
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:53:03 AM EDT
C&R ATF has to make a appointment and you decide were they do the inspection.
atleast thats what ive read. never heard of any one being inspectied on a C&R thu I wouldnt worry about it unless your regulary buying tons of guns and turning around and selling them at the gun show.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:59:43 AM EDT
BATFE doesn't use their BEST agents to do compliance inspections. Things do NOT always work like they are supposed to.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By cyrax777:
C&R ATF has to make a appointment and you decide were they do the inspection.
atleast thats what ive read. never heard of any one being inspectied on a C&R thu I wouldnt worry about it unless your regulary buying tons of guns and turning around and selling them at the gun show.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:02:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 1:05:02 PM EDT by jeffk03]
Can't transfer any handgun to someone under 21 because you now have a FFL. In TX, you can do private transfers of handguns to >18 but <21. Not a big deal, but if you are planning to sell/give a handgun to someone <21 (ie family member etc), now that you are a FFL you can't do that.

ETA when you move, and update your address, if you are leasing, you have to include a copy of your lease agreement in the paperwork to update your address. You are also supposed to update your address 30 days before you move. I'm not sure what happen if you find out you need to move, and will be moving within 30 days, making it impossible to give the correct notice. I'm guessing your license will simply be invalid, but I do kinda wonder what would happen if ATF found you had moved w/o permisson and wanted to push the issue.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:13:05 PM EDT
everyone wants you to order them something and you have to politly tell them that you really can't
but thats not a real downside its worth it especially when your wife agrees that I should have more k31's cause its cheaper now that I have the license. Oh yea and you can shop for guns while eating breakfast ot waching a movie or something.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:46:53 PM EDT
FWIW, I decided to mail in the application for the following reasons (pretty much in order):

1.) The dealer discount at Midway and Brownell's
2.) The ease of ordering CMP rifles (I'm a member of a qualified club, just not a competitor)
3.) The ability to buy an occassional musty old military rifle without paying half again as much at the local dealer
4.) Should I ever decide I want a SBR or a machine gun, state law makes provisions for C&R holders
5.) Given the way the state statutes are written it sort of makes my switchblade collection a bit more acceptable (though not really -- it seems legit as it is)

I've actually got a fairly good feel for the paperwork since I had an 01 FFL a number of years ago (I wonder how they score question 11 on the form?). I really can't imagine the authorities bother with 03 licensee holders much — especially out here in the boonies – unless they get wind of some remarkable trading activity. Heck, they don't even want you to send in your records when you quit. It seems like they issue the license and then forget about you.

My only concern is buying C&R items from a dealer and having to get all the information from them. It really shouldn't be an issue, though, since most of them will give you a copy of their license to mail to someone to facilitate a transfer. Also, I can't see why I would buy a C&R from a local dealer when I could get it at cost from a wholesaler.

Besides, I don't really see myself buying that many old guns. Famous last words, right? Let's see: Persian M48, Swiss K31, M1 Garand, 1903 Springfield . . .
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:29:49 PM EDT
Well I finally have a reason not to get the C&R. The AFT sends you about a dozen of those damn welcome/info packages in the mail until your trash can is overflowing with government wasted paperwork and postage!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:31:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Usafwolfe:
Well I finally have a reason not to get the C&R. The AFT sends you about a dozen of those damn welcome/info packages in the mail until your trash can is overflowing with government wasted paperwork and postage!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah but that can be compensated by the overwhelming rifles that are being sent to you.
Top Top