Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 1:13:30 PM EDT
Has anyone used this stuff from Sportsmans Guide?

I've got 2 knockaround Mausers that I never bother cleaning. 1 is a Turkish that I got for 80 bucks. There was rust in the rifling and I just left it alone and started shooting. Almost a full case later of the 50's production Yugo, it's hitting 4 inch wide plates at 50 yards,so I'm happy with it.

However, I'm going to get a better quality Mauser, and want some ammo to stick away with it. The steel cased stuff is advertised as being non-corrosive, but I'll actually make sure to clean the "keeper" rifle regardless.
Hopefully it's decent stuff because I've got 1400 some odd round in transit.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Despite what it says, it is corrosive.

It's good stuff, will probably shoot a little high since it's a lighter grain 8mm bullet, something like 147gr(?).  

It's good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Despite what it says, it is corrosive.

It's good stuff, will probably shoot a little high since it's a lighter grain 8mm bullet, something like 147gr(?).  

It's good stuff.

I didn't notice that it was a light bullet until after I ordered. But for the price, which is comprable to the 50's yugo stuff, minue the need to double fire 20% of the rounds, I couldn't pass it up.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Good stuff.  A bit drity and corrosive, which is no big deal.  As an aside, I would get a new firing pin srping or two from Wolff.  Either 22 or 24 pounders.   Many people who complain about "bad" ammo actually have weak firing pin springs.  I had to replace the springs on both my Turks.  Turned frustration to fun for only a few minutes work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Good stuff.  A bit drity and corrosive, which is no big deal.  As an aside, I would get a new firing pin srping or two from Wolff.  Either 22 or 24 pounders.   Many people who complain about "bad" ammo actually have weak firing pin springs.  I hadto replace the springs on both my Turks.  Turned frustration to fun for only a few minutes work.

I've thought about that.
I've got a case of the 70's Yugo, which I've shot a few boxes of, and it's 100%. So I was figuring that the double-shot 50's stuff was just ammo related, but who knows. And extra spring couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=194003

Actually, on my other beater, which was dug up by my uncle in Viet Nam, the firing pin appears to be a bit nicked and short. but I harldy ever fire this one, due to it's sentimental value.
As an aside, it is stored in a canvas rifle case, with the TWA baggage check tag on it, from when he carried it home on the plane.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, on my other beater, which was dug up by my uncle in Viet Nam, the firing pin appears to be a bit nicked and short. but I harldy ever fire this one, due to it's sentimental value.
As an aside, it is stored in a canvas rifle case, with the TWA baggage check tag on it, from when he carried it home on the plane.

Cool story! I'd be interested in hearing more.....

X
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool story! I'd be interested in hearing more.....

X

My dad, who gave me the thing recently, was in the Navy in the blockade of Cuba. One of his brothers was an officer on the ground in Viet Nam. He's VERY successful and well to do now, but he doesn't talk much of the time over there.
This was one of a few items he sent home. Dug up in a cache' of various items, he knew my dad liked the Mausers, so he brought it home to him. It still had mud in it last year when I got it and cleaned it up. The wood is semi-rotted, and it actually started to split right behind the action the last time I fired it, so I'm leaving it as-is and resisting the urge to sporterize it.

Eh, my dad's stories of literally bumping into the soviet ships during the blockade are more fun. Or my step-dad, and his time as a tunnel rat in Nam. He's got some good stories there too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]
2 cases showed up at work today, along with a couple other calibers by the case. The sheer amount of ammo that I get delivered to my workplace raises many eyebrows.

I'll try a few boxes out on Friday and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]
About 100 rounds fired today.
This stuff is 100% reliable and damn accurate.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#11]
It's all I've ever shot from my M24/47.

It's corrosive but cleaning a bolt gun is no big deal. Corrosive is all I've shot through my Enfield, Mauser, and Mosin Nagant and it hasn't hurt them one bit, but I clean them.

It sure does seem to be good, accurate ammo. But you do have to aim a little low.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top