Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/4/2006 8:16:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:26:29 PM EDT
You definately could not ship it by "mail" to a non-dealer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:38:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 8:39:15 PM EDT by medicmandan]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:08:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:29:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:39:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By medicmandan:
A rifle or shotgun can be shipped by mail to a resident of your state. A handgun must go by common carrier.

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

Whoa Nellie! That section (B9) is information for NON-LICENSIEES. If you have a C&R FFL, you are a LICENSEE.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:04:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:54:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MRW:
Okay, so as I read the ATF site linked above, I can transfer (sell) the rifle to an individual in my state through the mail or common carrier without the need to do an FFL transfer. It is the same as if we did a face to face deal.

*Unless* your state has laws to the contrary. You better check on Ohio's laws first.

I do know for a fact that here in TN it is legal to do this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:16:39 AM EDT

but not a dealer. What are the rules for a C&R licensee if different from the above rules?

From the Open Letter to all Recently Federally Licensed Collectors of Curio or Relic Firearms...

"A licensed collector has the same status under the Gun COntrol Act (GCA) as a non-licensee except for transactions in curio or relic firearms."

The section that come from deals with acquiring non-C&R firearms. However, I wouldn't trust the ATF to not apply it to all aspects of the 03 FFL. The typical ATF double standard. If it were not a C&R firearms, it would be perfectly fine to ship intrastate person-to-person. Since it is a C&R, the collector must ship to FFL holder or FTF with the purchaser. That's my take on how ATF would see it. It's nonsensical, but that's the ATF for ya.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:54:34 PM EDT
If you cannot varify that the recepient is old enough to own a gun, you could be in bad shape.

I'd only mail guns to licensees.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:32:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dracster:

but not a dealer. What are the rules for a C&R licensee if different from the above rules?

From the Open Letter to all Recently Federally Licensed Collectors of Curio or Relic Firearms...

"A licensed collector has the same status under the Gun COntrol Act (GCA) as a non-licensee except for transactions in curio or relic firearms."

The section that come from deals with acquiring non-C&R firearms. However, I wouldn't trust the ATF to not apply it to all aspects of the 03 FFL. The typical ATF double standard. If it were not a C&R firearms, it would be perfectly fine to ship intrastate person-to-person. Since it is a C&R, the collector must ship to FFL holder or FTF with the purchaser. That's my take on how ATF would see it. It's nonsensical, but that's the ATF for ya.

There is no requirement for an intrastate transfer from a C&R FFL to be face to face. Relying on the FAQ's to interpret the regulations will only get you in trouble. You have to go to the referenced sections of the regulations. The answers in the FAQs are sometimes incomplete and can be misleading.
Top Top