Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 9:01:53 PM EDT
Talked to the manager at my local Big 5 the other day. He is a good guy and always lets me rummage through his stock for interesting Mosins and will sell me any of them for $75 even if they aren't on sale that week.

As usual, I was checking out the current offering of 91/30s and got pretty excited when I pulled out 2 hex Tula guns. The excitement waned quickly when I saw that they were forced matched junk. I got real bummed when I saw that EVERY one (all 7) were forced matched. He said that it had been weeks since he had gotten any matching 91/30s.

This really makes me wonder. Big 5 must be one of the larger Century milsurp buyers and I would suspect they get some fairly good stock but it looks like all Century is shipping them is this crap. It's hard to fathom Mosin supplies running low but this makes me think. Anyone heard any "buzz"?

They did have a pretty nice all matching 1941 M38 izzy with the correct stock. I almost picked it up but I already have 2. The safe is getting crowded.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#1]
seems as though m38's may be of shorter supply than in the past, i dont see every tom dick and harry supplier with them for $59.99 anymore.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:38:49 AM EDT
[#2]
they're still plenty out there. i just bought 2 from AIM that are matching and one from MGS. M38s are $69-$89 now but theres still plenty to go round for quite a few more years....I remember when fins were only $59 too......
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind, I am only commenting on 91/30s.

I only bring this up because a company like Big 5 sporting goods may be a better barometer for any supply problems from Century.  Companies like AIM probably only get a few shipments a year from Century where Big 5 gets shipments every week.  Any glitches in supply would likely take several months to be seen with smaller sellers.

I too would find it hard to believe that supplies of guns like Mosins would be drying up but it does make sense the first sign of such a problem would be more marginal (non-matching) rifles being seen.  Afterall, the supply will dry up eventually.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
The 91/30 I purchased last week from AIM was forced matched.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
they're still plenty out there. i just bought 2 from AIM that are matching and one from MGS. M38s are $69-$89 now but theres still plenty to go round for quite a few more years....I remember when fins were only $59 too......

do they have the century arms billboard on the receiver?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Keep in mind, I am only commenting on 91/30s.

I only bring this up because a company like Big 5 sporting goods may be a better barometer for any supply problems from Century.  Companies like AIM probably only get a few shipments a year from Century where Big 5 gets shipments every week.  Any glitches in supply would likely take several months to be seen with smaller sellers.

I too would find it hard to believe that supplies of guns like Mosins would be drying up but it does make sense the first sign of such a problem would be more marginal (non-matching) rifles being seen.  Afterall, the supply will dry up eventually.

I doubt you'll have to worry about it for quite some years now.

I read on another board that there were literally millions of Mosins made and recent imports shouldn't have made much of a dent in the stockpile of Mosins worldwide.

The Finns and other more rare veriants are getting harder to find, but there were far fewer of them to be had in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't worry about it to much.  I've been reading ads for "the last of the 98 Mausers ever" for about thirty five years now.  And more always seem to crop up..............
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

do they have the century arms billboard on the receiver?

Some do some don't. Some come in from Tenn. Gun, some from PW, and as a "personal importer" LeRoy’s Big Valley Gunworks if you buy from overseas and Form 6 (I think) it with the ATF(I know some people that have bought from Karl-Heinz Wrobel from Germany this way)....Century isn't the only importer, but probably the biggest.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:22:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Considering the soviet army had, I'm not sure, maybe 40-50 million personnel, I would think MN's arent going to run out in my dog's lifetime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top