Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 1:50:34 PM EDT
This weekend I finally got to shoot, so I fired my enfield4mk1 using surpluss ammo that my dealer said was good.

The ammo came in 32 round boxes marked CAI 303 POR manufactured. I am assuming Century Arms, Portugal manufacturing. Good price bad ammo that I will be returning and complaining about next weekend.

Gun would go click 1..2..bang Out of 10 rounds 1 dud,4 hang fires 5 good rounds quit using ammo.

Shoots good if you acted like you were firing a flintlock. Watch out for this surplus, live and learn.

Update: Ya know not to many dealers would do this- replaced the ammo with new production pmc(60 rounds) and gave me back 3 bucks for the difference in price between the cost of box vs box.
So 2 boxes of new plus on box free to match number of rounds and 3 bucks..... I think it was a good deal for the my troubles to get reloadable brass.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That's Pakistani, not Portuguese. Yeah, most of the "good" surplus .303 has disappeared. The Pakistani has been known for hangfires and all kinds of weird stuff. If they'll take it back, go ahead.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Pakistani .303 is good for demonstrating a flinch, but little else.

It's crapola.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought 4 or 5 crates a couple of years ago from Sportmansguide before I knew better. That batch hasn't been as bad as everyone says, but it was still seal in the interior can. The hangfire seems to be more pronouced when the ammo is cool. When it gets hot outside the pak stuff tend to shoot better. So I just shoot the paki stuff when it's hotter than hell outside and have had better luck than most it seems. I still get missfires and hangfires but the frequency goes way down.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#4]
At least you know what's going on.  I can imagine how some of the folks at the public range would behave with this stuff.

That long hangfire and misfire stuff scares the hell out of me.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I bought 4 or 5 crates a couple of years ago from Sportmansguide before I knew better. That batch hasn't been as bad as everyone says, but it was still seal in the interior can. The hangfire seems to be more pronouced when the ammo is cool. When it gets hot outside the pak stuff tend to shoot better. So I just shoot the paki stuff when it's hotter than hell outside and have had better luck than most it seems. I still get missfires and hangfires but the frequency goes way down.

YMMV

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
At least you know what's going on.  I can imagine how some of the folks at the public range would behave with this stuff.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

YMMV

Lordy, that's why you tell anyone who you invite to shoot it to keep the action CLOSED and muzzle DOWNRANGE everytime the rifle goes click. You can never tell with surplus ammo if it is going to wait a few seconds before getting the message. You don't want the cartridge to seeing the light of day when it does go off.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't shoot click-boom stuff and I'd just as soon not be near others who shoot it.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

YMMV

Lordy, that's why you tell anyone who you invite to shoot it to keep the action CLOSED and muzzle DOWNRANGE everytime the rifle goes click. You can never tell with surplus ammo if it is going to wait a few seconds before getting the message. You don't want the cartridge to seeing the light of day when it does go off.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The last good surplus 303 that was available was the Greek and South African stuff a few years ago. Nearly all the POF, Iraqi and British WW2 / 1950's ammo is mostly Click - Bang stuff too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:40:05 AM EDT
[#8]
yeah paki ammo,, i got some  was all happy thatit cost me  4-5$ fer  the 30 rnds,,  hit the range wanting to see how well my cleaned up  1916 bsa would do,,  click,,,,,,, BANG! WTF 3 rnds later i dumped the ammo!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I had an enfield once and had some click boom stuff.  Didn't shoot much of it.  Maybe one magazine full.  Sold it and the rest of the ammo to a buddy who was dying to have it.  He still has the rifle 15 years later.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Best use for that POF stuff in the cardboard boxes is to demil it and use the empty cartridges in a display.

There must have been a mountain of it imported, as it's been around for sale for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you post an image of the stamp at the base of the bullet or post back what is stamped there so I can check it with the lot I just received.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunatly I do not have any brass to photogragh.

Jt, the ammo came in a lite grey 32 round boxes with a paper ban around the box. The ban was stamped Cai 303 and underneath this is POF manuf. The brass I think was stamped POF and 303 on the head. The brass had a pinkish hue with brass colored primers with red sealant and the whole round looked to be coated with a laquar finish to seal the round. JUST BE CAREFULL when you fire your ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top