Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 7:12:37 AM EDT
Hi, all.

All I handled & had are M16's & AR15's. I just got a Finnish M39, which is my first bolt action rifle. I found it is quite hard to turn the bolt lever to cock the firing pin. Do all bolt action rifles hard to cock the firing pin like this? I wonder if this brutal spring strengh is required to hit the primers?

Is there an aftermarking firing pin softer spring? I doubt there would be any?

Also, the bolt & receiver's camming surfaces seem to scrub each other too much? You know bolt's camming surface is shaving the receiver's camming surface material a little by little?

Thanks,

Matt
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:31:49 PM EDT
Welcome to Mosins....they cock on opening and make it a little harder to open the bolt. the head spacing could be too tight. Polish it up some and oil it a little, it sounds normal to me.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:02:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:38:57 AM EDT
Well, thanks for the comments!

While I was running some Google seaches, I found someone mentioned about "Mosin-Nagant muscle".
Now I understand the term and I believe I have developed my M-N muscle after practicing cycling bolt for a week.

My M39 was very clean from the beginning and there wasn't anything to clean. The importer cleaned the whole rifle pretty much.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:46:07 AM EDT
There's a shorten the firing pin spring mod on the surplusrifle site. If you get too carried away you might have to buy a spring.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By SecretKeeper:
Hi, all.

All I handled & had are M16's & AR15's. I just got a Finnish M39, which is my first bolt action rifle. I found it is quite hard to turn the bolt lever to cock the firing pin. Do all bolt action rifles hard to cock the firing pin like this? I wonder if this brutal spring strengh is required to hit the primers?

Is there an aftermarking firing pin softer spring? I doubt there would be any?

Also, the bolt & receiver's camming surfaces seem to scrub each other too much? You know bolt's camming surface is shaving the receiver's camming surface material a little by little?

Thanks,

Matt

Top Top