Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 12:14:08 PM EDT
I've requested the application for C&R but I have a question. I have in my mind from somewhere that if you purchase a surplus military arm under a C&R license you can't modify it -- you have to keep it original. Is this true or did I make this up? If it is true, what constitutes modifying it? Would scoping be forbidden? Restocking?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've requested the application for C&R but I have a question. I have in my mind from somewhere that if you purchase a surplus military arm under a C&R license you can't modify it -- you have to keep it original. Is this true or did I make this up? If it is true, what constitutes modifying it? Would scoping be forbidden? Restocking?

Nope , modify it all you want, nothing says you cannot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Modify all you want.  Only after all those modifications it may not qualify as a curio and relic anymore.  No problems at all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You can do anything you want to it.  It might not qualify as a C&R for future sales though.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Modifyit all you want, but note any major change. I am currently building a 7mm mauser from a turk(I know friends don't let friends sportarize) for my mothers first custom rifle. I just have to note the rifle(receiver) was rechambered to 7mm. I am currently waiting on the stock to come in and the fun begins.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It still has to be 922c (number of USA vs foreign parts) compliant - correct?  I was under the impression if you get an otherwise non importable arm, (that has been imported as an entire C&R arm, ex - a 59/66 SKS), and change the configuration, you may then be in violation of 922c, and need to get the count of USA parts to meet the 922c requirement, OR remove enough 'evil features' to not be affected by 922c.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#7]
It is fine to modify it, as other have stated it may no longer qualify as a C&R if modified and less than 50 years old for resale unless returned to the original configuration.  So go ahead and do whatever you want.

Although, if you bubba a C&R gun, we will find you and beat the crap out of you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I understand that the correct interpretation of the modification issue is that the receiver cannot be modified if less than 50 years old or it will lose its' C&R status.  The only part of the rifle that matters is the receiver (and of course the barrel length, and that's not a strictly C&R issue).

As long as the receiver hasn't been drilled and tapped, etc, it remains a C&R even if it has been sporterized.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top