Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/23/2006 7:43:52 PM EDT
There's probably a simple answer to this, but how do I open sealed ammo tins? I have a sealed tin of 8mm mauser ammo that I bought at a gunshow last weekend, and it didn't occur to me to ask how to open it. I'm sure that I can get it open in a very destructive way, but is there a more straightforward way to open it?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:31:06 PM EDT
I usually beat them open with a hammer Or use one of these -

Usually the come with one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:47:23 PM EDT
if you didn't get an opener with the can, you can use K-Bar
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:38:58 PM EDT
If you have access to a handheld grinder you can grind the lip off the spam can and then just lift that center out. I've seen some really neat work on these.

I tried it with a dremel tool and it would take forever.

Hammer and a chisel works to make a hole big enough to get it out.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By pliftkl:
There's probably a simple answer to this, but how do I open sealed ammo tins? I have a sealed tin of 8mm mauser ammo that I bought at a gunshow last weekend, and it didn't occur to me to ask how to open it. I'm sure that I can get it open in a very destructive way, but is there a more straightforward way to open it?

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:53:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By djenkins:
Hammer and a chisel works to make a hole big enough to get it out.

+1.............works everytime
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:23:24 AM EDT
i use'd tin snip's and a pair of channel locks to roll back the lid a ways then poured the ammo out side sthat i got a tinof 762x54 that had the can opener,, and now i just use that!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 1:52:30 PM EDT by jrinfoley]
The can openers are a POS and hard to use. They work but don't be in a hurry. Maybe someone clever enough can build and sell a large heavy duty rotary opener!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:44:07 AM EDT
Blow torch works great ! !

NO ! ! NO ! ! NO ! ! ! !

Just joking ! ! ! !

If you PM me your mailing address I'll send you one of those "ammo spam can" can openers . . . .

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:17:36 PM EDT
One on the way . . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:45:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BankerBilly:
One on the way . . . . . . . .

Many, many thanks. It arrived today!

Top Top