Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 10:15:52 PM EDT
I got my $89 SKS in today.   Outside it looked very good, inside looked like it was rode hard and put up wet.   It had tons of powder residue in it and doesnt really have a barrel, more like a rusty hole that bullets once went through.     It's nasty dirty inside and I guess the Yugo army didnt inspect weapons before they were put away.  

I'll put some elbow grease into the bore and see what happens.   I dont expect that it will ever be a tack driver but hopefully it will useable as a trunk gun.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is beyond repair, give AIM a call. They should own up to it and take it back and make it right.

However, i would say give it a good scrubbin. I got a  Yugo Mauser from them that looked pretty bad. A couple days later and a little work it turned out very nice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I've spent about 20 minutes on it so far, got a ton of rusty goo out of it but a light down the barrel shows it's got a long way to go.   I've got it soaking with M Pro right now.   I'll go work on it some more in awhile.    Any suggestions on removing heavy rust from the bore?   I've gone through hoppes, some lead remover, some sweets and now trying the M Pro 7.     I dont care if it's not a tack driver, hell it's an SKS I just want it useable.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Typical for the shooter grade $ 89 specials from any of the distributers. You might be surprised how well they can shoot even with dark bores.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
take it shooting, put a houndred rds through it, get it hot, then start working on the bore at the range while it hot, that how Ohio ordnance did there best work on rusty SKS bores.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can find some of those copper pot scrubbers, the fine ones work pretty good at scrubbing rust.  JB Bore paste or even a bore brush, Comet cleanser and lots of hot water.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I got two of the 'excellent' grade Yugos from AIM.  They specifically stated that they couldn't guarantee the bore on them.  One had rust in the proximal half of the bore and I got most of it out with a brass brush and elbow grease.  Interestingly, the stock on that rifle was pristine.  The other rifle had a perfect bore but the stock was a little beat up.  

If you have a chance, I'd like to hear a range report once you get it cleaned up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
So far the best results are from sweets 7.62 and a stainless .40cal bore brush.   I've been pulling alot of rusty mud out with the combo.   It will be fired a bit Saturday morning at the arfcom shoot so I guess I'll see soon how it does.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I got two of the 'excellent' grade Yugos from AIM.  They specifically stated that they couldn't guarantee the bore on them.  One had rust in the proximal half of the bore and I got most of it out with a brass brush and elbow grease.  Interestingly, the stock on that rifle was pristine.  The other rifle had a perfect bore but the stock was a little beat up.  

If you have a chance, I'd like to hear a range report once you get it cleaned up.

My excellent grade from AIM had quite a few dinfs, but the bore is in beautiful shape.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Shot it today, damnit anyhow it ran perfectly.    We only fired about 60 rounds but all fired without a hiccup and to point of aim out to about 50 or so yds.    I would think with a small scope tagging clays would be very easy.   Firing the rifle cleaned up the bore better than all of the scrubbing I did up to that point.   The gas system cutoff also started operating, it was frozen in place prior to firing the gun.   It seemed that it just wanted to be shot a bit.   I've decided I'm definitely up for another one next time AIM lists the $89 SKS.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Shot it today, damnit anyhow it ran perfectly.    We only fired about 60 rounds but all fired without a hiccup and to point of aim out to about 50 or so yds.    I would think with a small scope tagging clays would be very easy.   Firing the rifle cleaned up the bore better than all of the scrubbing I did up to that point.   The gas system cutoff also started operating, it was frozen in place prior to firing the gun.   It seemed that it just wanted to be shot a bit.   I've decided I'm definitely up for another one next time AIM lists the $89 SKS.  

And another one bites the dust...  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, now I gotta get one, I've yet to pick an SKS and the $90 special sounds like it's just fo rme.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Okay, now I gotta get one, I've yet to pick an SKS and the $90 special sounds like it's just fo rme.

Mine ran $103 with shipping.    Be ready for a shock when you look at the bore    I never would have thought the rifle would do as well as it did after looking at it when it came.    I literally could not see rifling when I first got it.   Dont even try to shoot it without scrubbing the hell out of it first, it aint gonna happen.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top