Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 11:09:00 AM EDT
Title says it all. I just picked up a nice Yugo M48A. While I'm sure the surplus stuff is okay, I'm not real keen on messing with corrosive ammo.

I've seen the obvious softpoint hunting loads from Winchester and Federal, but I'm more of a paper-punching guy.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:47:31 PM EDT
Your screwed unless you pay $1.00 a round. Just buy surplus ammo, and some windex. After you finish shooting, spray windex down the barrel and on the bolt. Run a couple patches down one wet with windex and the other dry and you'll be fine. Only takes five minutes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:24:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:48:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By medicmandan:
I agree with WaMag. It only takes a few extra minutes to clean after shooting corrosive ammo. The cost savings is well worth it. I've got thousands of rounds of 8mm in the basement that I paid about .05 per round on strippers. Can't beat that.

Okay. We'll try that. I'm just now getting into the C&R stuff. Mosin M38, Yugo M48 Mauser are already here. A German (hopefully) Mauser and K31 soon.

Definitely need strippers for that Mosin though. Such a pain to load by hand with those rimmed cartridges.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:00:31 PM EDT
Is the FNM stuff still around? It is non-corrosive and the new production is reloadable. Sellier and Bellot makes some too. You need to look around.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By NoAim:
Title says it all. I just picked up a nice Yugo M48A. While I'm sure the surplus stuff is okay, I'm not real keen on messing with corrosive ammo.

I've seen the obvious softpoint hunting loads from Winchester and Federal, but I'm more of a paper-punching guy.

Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:25:28 PM EDT
Prvi Partisan is the only one I've seen new production that isn't $1 a round. It's about .50 cents a round though, reloadable.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:28:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By djenkins:
Is the FNM stuff still around? It is non-corrosive and the new production is reloadable. Sellier and Bellot makes some too. You need to look around.

Dennis Jenkins

Any suggestions?

Sportsmansguide has it in stock. They have it for the same price I paid for it 15 years ago. While expensive by todays standards, you get what you pay for. Samco has soem Hirtenberger tha is non-corrosive but is also expensive, again, you get what you pay for.

Winchester, Federal, PMC, Remington, & Igman are all junk.

Prvi Partisan is great ammo. Surplus is still the way to go. Clean for corrosive and you are fine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:04:29 PM EDT
I've got several cans of the Romanian. It's not super accurate but at least it doesn't stick my bolt.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By 8mm:

Originally Posted By djenkins:

Dennis Jenkins

Any suggestions?

Sportsmansguide has it in stock. They have it for the same price I paid for it 15 years ago. While expensive by todays standards, you get what you pay for. Samco has soem Hirtenberger tha is non-corrosive but is also expensive, again, you get what you pay for.

Winchester, Federal, PMC, Remington, & Igman are all junk.

Prvi Partisan is great ammo. Surplus is still the way to go. Clean for corrosive and you are fine.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:51:54 PM EDT
I think you can just use some boiling water as an alternative to windex. The only thing the ammonia does is cut the copper. I have on occasion just poured boiling water out of a kettle down my barrel using a funnel and soaked the bolt parts in boiling water for a few min. I usually use windex but this works fine if you run out. Water disolves the salts an will carry them away. I could be wrong but it has worked fine for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:51:06 AM EDT
Always buy the heaviest loads you can find. 190 grains plus...ammo made by FN (Browning) is non corrosive and what my Yugo's like the best.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:20:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SIG_220:
I think you can just use some boiling water as an alternative to windex. The only thing the ammonia does is cut the copper. I have on occasion just poured boiling water out of a kettle down my barrel using a funnel and soaked the bolt parts in boiling water for a few min. I usually use windex but this works fine if you run out. Water disolves the salts an will carry them away. I could be wrong but it has worked fine for me.

Have to agree with this. Warm water works just fine. Never had a problem in years. Never has Windex touched my rifles and I have never had any corrosion.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:00:30 AM EDT
What about a liberal amount of Hoppes powder solvent? that stuff strips finish off of metal, I would think it would remove the corrosive salts, but I'm not sure.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:11:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MauserMark:
What about a liberal amount of Hoppes powder solvent? that stuff strips finish off of metal, I would think it would remove the corrosive salts, but I'm not sure.

-mark

No, not made for corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:15:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:54:54 PM EDT
Ammoman has 1950's and 1970's Yugo on sale. Anyone shoot any of it ?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:41:44 AM EDT
both are good. The 70's is supposed to be better, I say supposed to be because I've shot very little 1950's so don't have much to compare it with, but the 70's yugo is my fav 8mm.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:20:15 AM EDT
I've been handloading for my 48BO, but I should pick up some surplus stuff for blasting for the Turk I just ordered.........Essex
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:18:03 PM EDT
OK so cheqap ammo is cleanable but I want to shoot my Gew 43 and I am not putting corrosive into that rifle so any cheap alternatives??
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 1:50:08 PM EDT by MauserMark]

Originally Posted By SD307:
OK so cheqap ammo is cleanable but I want to shoot my Gew 43 and I am not putting corrosive into that rifle so any cheap alternatives??

Prvi Partisan, or new Wolf Gold (which is Prvi Partisan)

Someone mentioned what sportsmansguide has:

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=212985

it's 27.97 for 80 rounds, with shipping that comes out to about the same, .50 cents a round.

they also offer it in 400, and 800 rounds, which is cheaper the higher you go.

btw, show us your G43.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:47:54 PM EDT
That FNM headstamp means it's either Mexican (most likely) or Portugese ammo from SG. I haven't heard anything really bad about it. I would just stay away from INDIAN manufactured ammo, It has the worst reputation for damaged/split necks, hard primers, and squibs.

I personally only shoot ultra-cheap Yugo 8mm corrosive in my Mausers. The 50's is just as good as the 70's stuff IMHO, as long as your chamber is clean and smooth, and your bolt is TOTALLY free of cosmoline. The 50's stuff sometimes has hard primers, but as long as you have cleaned and oiled correctly it shoots all day long at 2-3 MOA.

I spent 2 hours TODAY shooting my M48, M24/47, and Turk M38 with mostly 50's Yugo. (About 120 rounds!) with only one misfire. I just re-racked and it went BOOM like the rest.

Yes, my shoulder hurts a little bit!

Don't be scared of corrosive, even on an expensive rifle. Just clean it like your'e supposed to and it will never rust.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:31:23 AM EDT
btw, show us your G43.

Love to but I'm not sure how to post photos
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:53:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Nefarius:
That FNM headstamp means it's either Mexican (most likely) or Portugese ammo from SG. I haven't heard anything really bad about it. I would just stay away from INDIAN manufactured ammo, It has the worst reputation for damaged/split necks, hard primers, and squibs.

I personally only shoot ultra-cheap Yugo 8mm corrosive in my Mausers. The 50's is just as good as the 70's stuff IMHO, as long as your chamber is clean and smooth, and your bolt is TOTALLY free of cosmoline. The 50's stuff sometimes has hard primers, but as long as you have cleaned and oiled correctly it shoots all day long at 2-3 MOA.

I spent 2 hours TODAY shooting my M48, M24/47, and Turk M38 with mostly 50's Yugo. (About 120 rounds!) with only one misfire. I just re-racked and it went BOOM like the rest.

Yes, my shoulder hurts a little bit!

Don't be scared of corrosive, even on an expensive rifle. Just clean it like your'e supposed to and it will never rust.

My 98k is the only rifle I have ever fired that left my shoulder purple.

I have some FNM ammo, it is Portuguese, and it is full-power, not like the American (Winchester or Remington)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:50:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MauserMark:

Originally Posted By SD307:

Prvi Partisan, or new Wolf Gold (which is Prvi Partisan)

Someone mentioned what sportsmansguide has:

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=212985

it's 27.97 for 80 rounds, with shipping that comes out to about the same, .50 cents a round.

they also offer it in 400, and 800 rounds, which is cheaper the higher you go.

btw, show us your G43.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:58:45 AM EDT
There is nothing special about cleaning you rifle after shooting ammo with corrosive primers. Just pour a some hot water down the barrel from the breech. Then clean as normal. You don't need Windex or anthing special. I have been using hot water and regular Hoppe's No. 9 and I have had no problems. After cleaning, I always spray something like Rem Oil or EEZOX doen the barrel and that's it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:48:42 PM EDT
I have used hoppes #9 for years on about 10 of my surps and have no problems.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:55:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ktrout01:
Ammoman has 1950's and 1970's Yugo on sale. Anyone shoot any of it ?

Order the 1950's, got it in, made 11 of 1955. Nice and clean looking. Shoot it yesterday at the nra range (no steel in ammo ). Had about 2 out of evey 15 round box not go off on 1st pull. After counting for 60 sec. would work bolt and try round again. Went off the 2nd time on evey one. I check the rifle and the pimers after shooting. All hits where deap, so put it up to 60 year old ammo. Did have one case that split open half way down on the side.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:17:56 AM EDT
You can try 'Sweets 7.62' It is what I use to clean all my rifles with. It has a very strong ammonia smell to it and is easy to use. Make sure you clean all of it out of the bore and give a good coat of oil after using it.
Top Top