Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 5:47:16 AM EDT
Is the silver tip a "special" type of ammo?

Went shooting the other day and had 2 very thick books taped together.

Shot it with differt pistol and rifle ammo to see how far they travel in the book.

All the ammo torn into (but not through) the book and each did internal damage except the Siilver tip  ammo. It actually came out the back end with an exit hole the same size as the entry hole.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but I found this on another forum.

"The 7.62x54R Czech is a steel cored,hollow nosed .30 cal bullet running at about 2850FPS from my long rifles, 2600FPS from my M38 and M44..

It will penetrate three 1/4 inch thick disc plow blades, (tempered full hard) and still have enough energy left to penetrate a 13 inch thick beech tree behind the discs.

On impact the jacket strips,fragments violently, while the .20 caliber or so steel core continues point forward untill it runs out of energy.
No noticible yaw from the core that I have seen."

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Most often the silver tip indicates "light ball" ammo, ie: 148-150 grain bullet.

No hollow tip, but steel core (steel is cheaper than lead)

Go over to www.7.62X54r.net for some really GREAT info  ! !

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top