Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 4:28:35 AM EDT
The History Channel had British firearms and the Enfield seemed pretty interesting.
One of the few bolt action rifles where the sight picture could be maintained while cycling the bolt.

So, what is the consensus on the Enfield?

Any model to stay away from?

Is there an endless supply of .303 available or is it only a limited surplus supply left?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag

I'm interested in the replys
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
There's some rifles still around but you will have to pay top dollar for nice ones.  GOOD surplus ammo is very hard to find.  There's still quite a bit of the click-bang stuff around.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
The History Channel had British firearms and the Enfield seemed pretty interesting.
One of the few bolt action rifles where the sight picture could be maintained while cycling the bolt.

So, what is the consensus on the Enfield?

Any model to stay away from?

Is there an endless supply of .303 available or is it only a limited surplus supply left?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#3]
They're all over gunbroker right now, right around $200 for most models.  That's the only thing that kept me from getting one, the low quantity of surplus available.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at Southern Ohio gun. They currently have Savage made Enfields for a pretty good price vs condition. I got mine from them and it is a very clean rifle and shoots great. The only thing it had was storage marks.
The only thing I did to the rifle besides cuss the cosmo as I cleaned was to add a micro meter site.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have all the models and enjoy shooting my SMLE's the most. Yes the #4 series has better sights, but that old model just has the nostalgia.

Ammo is just like Dennis said, new production and click bang stuff. I had some Paki stuff that was actually really good, but the next lot was not so good.
Now if you were like me you would have picked up a few k of the SA stuff when it was around. I also have one sealed can of the Greek left that will never be used. Well maybe someday.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have all the models ...

How many models are there?
I was hoping like the 1903s there were less than 4 different types.
It hurts my brain when certain rifles have 10 different model.

You would think they would get it right the first time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#8]
An Enfield is expensive to feed new ammo to, but is very easy to reload for.  The bolt is rotated 60 degrees rather than the 90 of a Mauser or whatnot, and yes.. The bolt stops about a quarter inch from your nose while cycling.  

There was some discussion recently about the Australian International Arms M10 rifles, a 16" new production Lee Enfield-type rifle that feeds from AK mags.  AIA also has a few models similar to 20" No. 4 rifles, but chambered in 7.62 NATO and feeding from M14 mags.  All are chrome bores, and the wood is pretty nice.  Triggers are two-stage mil setups.  

The M10 is my next rifle, availability permitting.  Tristar imports them into the US.

ETA- The WW2 No. 4 rifles are generally better rifles than the SMLE's, but I'm in love with the ugly blunt nosecap.  SMLE sights suck though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top