Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 8:25:09 AM EDT
I have a beat to heck M44 that I would like to remove the bayonet on.   I have the blade off already but would like to remove the holder on the barrel? I know I can buy an M38 but would like to make this a "truck scout gun".

Thanks
Steve 'Cityrepo61'
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It's tough to get that mount off.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I have a beat to heck M44 that I would like to remove the bayonet on.   I have the blade off already but would like to remove the holder on the barrel? I know I can buy an M38 but would like to make this a "truck scout gun".

Thanks
Steve 'Cityrepo61'

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#2]
it's possible, just requires a lot of patience, and the right tools.

www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/oddsandends3/index.asp
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#3]
djenkins is right. If I remember correctly, the mount for the bayonet is integral to the front sight assembly. This means you have to drift out pin(s) that have been in place for 60+ years, then chop off the bayonet mount, then reattach the front sight. I don't remember the author, but there's a great book out there called The Poor Man's Scout Rifle and he details with illustrations what he had to do in order to remove the bayonet assembly. Good luck to you. It can be done, but isn't the easiest thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
no flame m8,, but why is the bayonet a bad thing on a truck gun?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

werd.

just keep it on there.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I left the mount on my M44 scout/truck gun,dosnt seem it will get in the way of anything.I do have a bipod coming for it,if it seems to get in the way I will cut it off.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Reduced weight.

With the bayonet off the rifle is noticeably lighter when shouldered.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Usually your accuracy will diminish unless you readjust the sight when you remove the bayonet and mount. Heat it up with some mapp gas after you drive out the pins and it should come off, some times there is a bit of solder under them. I'll sell you a Bubbaized Hungarian M44 that they butchered a FAL FH and beat on it. its a little crooked but it works. They even removed the rear sight leaf. Everything except the stock (didn't have one) and the bolt (didn't have one) for what I paid, $50+ actual shipping to 03 or 01 FFL.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if that lighter weight will result in more felt recoil?<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reduced weight.

With the bayonet off the rifle is noticeably lighter when shouldered.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
yes it does, thats the difference in weight between an M38 and M44, about 2 pounds. The 91/30 and M44 are right about the same in recoil and weight from what I feel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top