Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/1/2006 11:25:47 AM EDT
I looked at a rifle at a flea market yesterday. The owner told me it was an Argentine Mauser. I know very little about Mausers, what kind of price range do these usually bring? It was in pretty good condition, about what you'd expect of a rifle that old. Just wondering what is average price range? Thanks, Jdman
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:39:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 11:42:33 AM EDT by dfariswheel]
Depends on WHICH Argentine Mauser
There was the Model 1891 and the later 1909.

Then there are the Argentine 1909 Mauser's that were made in Argentina which are worth less than the models made in Germany by DWM.

The Model 1891 has the magazine exposed below the receiver, and is a weaker, older design.
It was made in a 29" straight bolt handle rifle, and a very handy little Cavalry carbine with a bent bolt handle and stocked to the muzzle.
These 1891 models were made in Germany, by either Ludwig Loewe or DWM.

The Model 1909 is a strong 1898 design, and the DWM made versions are quite possible the finest quality military bolt rifles ever built.
These DWM rifles are the favorites of custom rifle builders, because it's the only military Mauser ever made with full commercial features like the hinged floor plate, the pear-shaped bolt knob, and a polished and blued finish that was better UNDER the wood, than most modern firearms have outside.

The 1909 was available in a 29" barreled rifle with a straight bolt handle, a 22" cavalry carbine with a bent bolt handle and stocked to the muzzle, and a somewhat rare Mountain carbine that looked like a rifle with a short barrel.

Price depends entirely on WHICH model, whether is a Argentine made or German made, and mostly on the actual condition.
Rifles that have been altered are worth less.

Without more info on what you have, we can't give you any kind of price.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:00:04 PM EDT
I forgot to add, it is a model 1891, according to the owner. I apologize for the lack of details, I really know next to nothing about Mausers. I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure to make an offer. He didn't have an asking price, but told me to make him an offer on it. Just want to make sure I don't overprice myself. Are there any good sites with descriptions of the different models and such? Thanks, Jdman
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:06:55 PM EDT
i paid $275 engineer's carbine that was neutered into a cavalry carbine. it is in about 75%to 80% condition. it is a post 1898 argentine 1891. some are considered antiques some aren't, i'm not sure what the cut-off serial#'s are. what i paid was on the high side of average. most of the carbine's have their crest intact, so don't let someone try to jack the price up by saying it has the crest so give me more $. now if it is a 1891 rifle with a crest they are worth big $. the last rifle i saw with a crest in about 85% condition went for $750 IIRC. the rifles without the crest in nice shape i remember seeing for around $200.
Top Top