Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 3:43:08 PM EDT
I have several K31s. One with the St Marie Diopter setup, most just as is.

But on this one I installed a Darrell's Scout Mount and Leupold FX IER 2.5x28 Scout scope for shooting in the open class of our clubs Milsurp Silhouette matches. And boy does it SHOOT!

After some practice on the silhouette range today (nailed 18 chickens in a row at 200 meters and 10 rams at 500 meters) I took it over to the 100 yard range to let some interested parties shoot it to see how they liked the scout scope. Bear in mind I had already shot over 100 rounds through it today already.

With only a front sandbag under the front, on the bench, I put 3 rounds down range while waiting for the others to come over. This rifle has consistently shot sub MOA 10 shot groups. But after these 3 rounds I stopped before I spoiled a thing of beauty. After subtracting the calliber, .308 - .125"group.

My load:
165 sierra GameKing SPBT
Graf brass TTL 2.175
Reloader 15 43.5 gr.
GM210M primer

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I do love the accuracy of the K31. My favorite has produced this with a St. Marie clamp on mount, a full clip with 4 in the same hole. The other two were definately my fault, not the rifle. GP11 is pretty darn good surplus.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
sweet!  I've got 2 K31's and haven't shot either of them yet
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't have the pics anymore, but I have a 10 shot group from a '34 K-31 that measured .687" center to center, shooting handloads.

Not shabby.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#4]
John, we need to meet up at ASC with the swiss rifles.  I have the clamp on mount coming any day now, and a russian scope that should be here by next week, I'm pretty anxious to see what it can do.

-mark
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#5]
another question.

How were they able to get these things so accurate with chrome-lined bores?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
another question.

I haven't seen anything that says they are (chrome lined).
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Mark,

My folks and I are heading to El Paso on Friday to do Xmas with my sister and her kids. I also have a AK build to dive into sometime soon. If we get weather like today after I get back then it definately will be range time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
sounds good, why don't you come to the Houston Crew full auto shoot on New Years Eve?  A lot of cool toys will be there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
another question.

well I didn't guess they were either, but I read somewhere, might have been swissrifles.com or somewhere on here where they are.  Do they not looked chrome-lined to you?  If they're not chromed, the bore and the chamber shine like stainless steel...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Years ago my buddy got $25 from a pawn shop for one of those. I didnt know that mounts are available. Isnt ammo expensive?  Are components available to reload? I always heard that those were accurate guns. SWEET GROUP.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Years ago my buddy got $25 from a pawn shop for one of those. I didnt know that mounts are available. Isnt ammo expensive?  Are components available to reload? I always heard that those were accurate guns. SWEET GROUP.

Mounts are available from Brownells.

The ammo is pricey, but not insanely so. GP11 Surplus, which is really quite superb match ammo, is available from SOG, AIM, etc. Wolf, Hornady and PRVI make commercial 7.5 swiss now, and the Wolf is around $8.50 per 20, with boxer primed brass.

The components are available. The brass from commercial stuff can be used, or Grafs sells 7.5 swiss. RUAG and NORMA are out there too, but more expensive. And, you can resize .284Winchester to 7.5 with a full length die. The bullets are standard .308 bullets, so they are widely available.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
where did you purchase your rifles? Aimsurplus?or is there a better source?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought mine all from AIM over the last year and a half. I am up to 8 so far and here are the first 6 I received.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#14]
what kind of conditon was your last purchase from aim in?and about how long ago? hand pick?hy.gif
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Noice!!  I like the scope setup on that rifle.  I have two myself (rifles, not mounts) and I have not shot either of them.  I want to try to pick up about 200 rounds of the Wolf ammo, and use it for the brass to reload.  I'll have to make note of your recipe and try it!  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one I got from Big 5, but have not shot it yet.  I too want to get the Wolf as it is reloadable.  The stock on mine was pretty beat up and I thought I would try steaming up the dents and sanding it some to get it to look a little better.  It didn't seem to help as the raised dents had some kind of black crap staining the wood pretty good.  I tried to sand the stuff off, but it seem to go pretty deep into the wood grain, so I left them.  I have started to coat it with tung oil and hope to get it all back together soon.  I still need to order some ammo though!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Sheldon,

One of mine is a later ('53) rifle with a blonde stock.  It was dirty and beat up like yours.  I used Easy Off to strip it pretty well, and then steamed as many of the dents as I could out of it.... that didn't improve it too much, so I said screw it and sanded it.  The stock crest is still very visible, as I was careful not to take too much wood off.  There is a little 'overhang' at the buttplate, but the wood looks 500% better.  It's a blonde beauty now.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Not to go too far off topic, but that is pretty clean!!  Here's mine.  I may try your method or use the TSP method if I get bored later, but for now I'm done!!  I'm working on a stock for a Winchester 52D right now.  I'm trying to wet sand it with tung oil and want to work up to 600 grit and see what it looks like.  It looks pretty good now, but I have some way to go yet.

Here's the Winchester one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Guys just to let you know, in case you haven't looked them up in a while, the St. Marie clamp on mounts are now $75 from brownells and I've heard $75 everywhere else they're sold.  I got mine last week, and have a temp scope mounted on it now, waiting to hit the range this weekend, should also get a russian scope in the mail sometime this week, will post pics and range report(s).

-mark
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
another question.

well I didn't guess they were either, but I read somewhere, might have been swissrifles.com or somewhere on here where they are.  Do they not looked chrome-lined to you?  If they're not chromed, the bore and the chamber shine like stainless steel...

I did some research on this some time ago and found that the bores are chrome-nickel steel.  The Swiss tried Chrome-moly steel one year but didn't like it and went right back to Chrome-nickel.

So they aren't "chromed" per se.  Still, they're close enough.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I did some research on this some time ago and found that the bores are chrome-nickel steel.  The Swiss tried Chrome-moly steel one year but didn't like it and went right back to Chrome-nickel.

So they aren't "chromed" per se.  Still, they're close enough.

Thanks, that's good to know.  That added with the fact that they were cleaning freaks and used non-corrosive primers has left us with some very impressive arms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top