Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 8:38:45 AM EDT
This is from a gun collection, part of an estate with which I am helping a friend.  Basically, I am trying to establish a fair market value for each item.  That whole story is in another thread, if you are interested:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=216974&w=myTopicPop

This handgun is decribed by the owner's family as:

Remington, Model 95, Type III, Blue, Double Derringer, .41 Short, 3" Double Barrel, Manufactured between 1910 and 1935. "Remington Arms -- U.M.C.CO.ILION,N.Y." on top of barrel, Serial # L96XXX

I actually have one of these little .41 rimfire Remingtons - a family heirloom that was passed down to me years ago - so I am somewhat familiar with the firearms, if not their value (I never considered selling mine...).  

My most current copy of the Blue Book describes this as "OVER AND UNDER DERRINGER - Type Four."  (I believe the family was incorrect in calling it a "Type III")  It places the value at $500 for 80%, $425 for 70%, $375 for 60%, $325 for 50%, etc. As you can see from the pictures below this blued model is in fair condition with a good deal of finish wear.  It does not have a box or any papers.  I am no good at assessing percentages, so I would appreciate any advice on how to evaluate/price this firearm fairly. I would prefer to avoid the hassle and expense of having these firearms professionally appraised, but I would like to be in the right ballpark when I establish the values.

As it is, I am thinking $375.  Does that sound reasonable, or am I way off base?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top