Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2003 6:28:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#1]
That ad mentions ammonia but doesn't say anything about corrosive ammo.

I would not trust the stuff because if you don't flush the corrosive salts out with WATER rust will form right underneath CLP.

It's WATER not ammonia that flushes out corrosive salts.

Just a patch wet with WATER will work in a bolt rifle and if water gets on the stock it won't wreck havoc like ammonia will.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Just call me lazy and looking for an "easier" way to deal with the corrosive salts in ammo. Does this work?

www.break-free.com/products/graphics/product_images/borefoam_cleaner.jpg

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the C&R boards have stated that it isn't good for corrosive ammo.

It won't "flush" out the salts.

Just call me lazy and looking for an "easier" way to deal with the corrosive salts in ammo.

Hot water down the barrel is hard? What are you, paraplegic?

Av.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
That MPro7 works great and MPro7 gel works even better.

I then use a few dry patches and finish up with a CLP patch for rust protection.

If you worry about the CLP dripping back into the action one more dry patch will leave enough CLP in the barrel.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Ouch, tough crowd today!

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:45:44 AM EDT
[#5]

I use windex first, then ED's Red after. What's so hard about that?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Before you leave the range, just run a couple of patches soaked in windex down the bore and wipe the bolt face. Then when you get home clean with Sweets. That seems to work okay.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I've heard in a couple of place good ol' Hoppe's #9 is great for corrosive ammo. After all, it was invented at the beginning of the smokless powder era. So it makes sense.

But you always hear of other things being used. So I've wondered how good it does. I mean, shoot, everybody has a bottle of Hoppe's #9 laying around.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the cheapest window cleaner with ammonia (windex type stuff) I can find. Soak a patch and run it down the barrel a few times.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
i just stick the nozzle of the windex (w/amonia) in the chamber and squirt away til it drips from the muzzle.  then i have a cup of warm h20 that i dip a couple patches in.  after that a few passes with #9 and i havn't had any rust, bore still shines.

i shoot romanian 8mm in my k98RC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top