Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2003 3:16:06 PM EDT
I took my CZ52 to the range today, and was having to hit most of the rounds twice to fire.  Could this be the hard primers on the ammo (I only had one kind)?  Has anyone else had a problem like this?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of the milsurp 7.62x25 is notorious for hard primers.

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
DavidC is right, a lot of it is sub-gun ammo, and it takes a bit more to make it go bag.

Great pistol, very smooth shooting, eve with the hot ammo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a suggestion...

Make sure your slide is closing all the way. If it's not, that could be absorbing some of the hammer's energy the first try. And, it could be a warning sign for a very dangerous situation.

A CZ-52 I used to have would not close reliably on whatever ammo it was I bought a case of. I determined that this was due to the chamber neck being too tight. This may have been due to the primitive crimp the ammo had distorting the case neck, or it may have been that the chamber was actually cut too tight. The latter situation is very dangerous -- there needs to be enough clearance for the case neck to expand and release the bullet, or chamber pressures can skyrocket.

In my case, I recut the chamber neck area with a .30 Carbine chamber reamer I have, which made the pistol function perfectly and allowed my blood pressure to drop back to normal.

The ammo I was using had 3 or 4 "centerpunch marks" for a crimp.

While this pistol's locking system is ideal from an accuracy standpoint (the barrel's movement involves no rocking or tipping) I do not personally think it's as strong as most people seem to believe. I also hate the decocker, and feel the firing pin lock is poorly designed and not to be relied on. And my pistol also had too long a firing pin, allowing the firing pin tip to protrude from the breech face with the lock engaged.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:10:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I'd check the ammo.  Mine eats S&B without a hitch.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:26:45 AM EDT
[#5]
No, the CZ52 isn't as strong as they say.  But that is just what someone on here said.  They tested to destruction a lot of pistols by upping the charge weight when reloading.  CZ52 in 9mm failed at 15% over MAX when most Browning type 9mm pistols failed at 50-75% over MAX charge weight.  I think that the failure point was the where the roller locked into the slide, they bulged and cracked the slide out.  Of course, they didn't say what powder either, and 9mm is a much further cut into the barrel, leaving less meat.  The action design is definately strong.

I don't know.  Just what I have heard.  Kinda of a clunky looking pistol.  Interesting and accurate, but clunky.  And inexpensive.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No, the CZ52 isn't as strong as they say.  But that is just what someone on here said.  They tested to destruction a lot of pistols by upping the charge weight when reloading.  CZ52 in 9mm failed at 15% over MAX when most Browning type 9mm pistols failed at 50-75% over MAX charge weight.  I think that the failure point was the where the roller locked into the slide, they bulged and cracked the slide out.  Of course, they didn't say what powder either, and 9mm is a much further cut into the barrel, leaving less meat.  The action design is definately strong.

I don't know.  Just what I have heard.  Kinda of a clunky looking pistol.  Interesting and accurate, but clunky.  And inexpensive.  

I think the argument is that the CZ-52 is the strongest pistol you can buy in 7.62x25.  I haven't heard much about the 9mm variants.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure that it has been cleaned really well, particularly the firing pin channel.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about he has a well deserved reputation as a assclown troll on other gunboards.  He's been banned from at least 1 or 2 boards for his nonstop chicken little routine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about he has a well deserved reputation as a assclown troll on other gunboards.  He's been banned from at least 1 or 2 boards for his nonstop chicken little routine.

^Clarkmag....he also enjoys blowing up other fine guns for kicks.
The CZ52 is a fine gun, check the 2002 Accurate Arms reloading manual for some totally awesome reloads. (over 1600fps using a 90gr bullet, thats over 500FtLbs of energy!)
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't know what anybody else said, but here's my thinking on this strength thing:

The pistol is not locked shut by the engagement of square shoulders, but by round rollers going into rounded notches in the slide. Aside from any possible fragility of the rollers themselves (which I seem to recall are hollow -- correct me if I'm wrong) it's pretty obvious that there is going to be an outward camming action on the sides of the slide. This may be OK on the left side, which is fairly solid, but the right side is cut out for the ejection port right about where the roller engages. It seems to me that this area might spring out or break out if push comes to shove.

To be fair, the only pictures I've seen of one that did fail showed a completely different pattern of failure from what the above reasoning would forecast. I think the barrel burst first in that case, causing the slide to crack in some other area as a consequence rather than as an initial cause of the trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top