Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2003 5:07:51 PM EDT
How does one remove the rear sight slider on an M48A.  I have a scout mount that fits there but can't figure our how to get the sight off?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have that pin out there is nothing else actually holding it.  You just need to manuever it out of there.

Most people can't get the pin out. <G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
How does one remove the rear sight slider on an M48A.  I have a scout mount that fits there but can't figure our how to get the sight off?

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Once the pin is out, lift it to the vertical position and lightly tap it at the base towards the rear of the rifle.  It will pop right out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll try it.  Getting the pin out seems to be the problem.  I shot it this morning with fantastic results.  I just hate the sites.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Post some pics when you get it installed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
How the hell do you get the pin out?

...and don't say you use a punch because I have already bent two of them on it and it hasn't budged at all. What am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there some trick to it? Some miricle solvent?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have removed literally dozens and have never had the slightest problem.  The pin is little more than a cheap hinge. Not trying to be stupid here, but have you tried hitting the pin from the oter side?

If all else fails, try more foul language.  I have found that when inanimate objects do not cooperate, foul language is usually the answer.  Once they feel threatened enough they will do exactly what you want. [:D}
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have removed literally dozens and have never had the slightest problem.  The pin is little more than a cheap hinge. Not trying to be stupid here, but have you tried hitting the pin from the oter side?

If all else fails, try more foul language.  I have found that when inanimate objects do not cooperate, foul language is usually the answer.  Once they feel threatened enough they will do exactly what you want. [:D}

Yep, I have beaten the living piss out of one side--the pin is flattening out so going that way is no longer an option. The other side is going no better.

Would heating the sight leaf help? WD-40? Other solvent?

I really don't want to have to take a drill press to the thing, but it seems that I may have no other option.

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
FUCK!

I need help. I just broke the upper part of the furniture and the barrel started to unscrew from the reciever. Can it even fucking do that?!? All this bullshit for a simple fucking scout mount. DAMNIT!

anybody know what the fuck I should do now? sporter stock? Do I have to take it to a smith to fix the barrel?

Oh yeah, I also manage to smash my thumb up real nice too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, you must have the Mauser from hell.  Honest, it should be a 1 minute project.

I would take it to a gunsmith to have the barrel tightened and have the headspace rechecked. Mausers are the most basic rifle a gunsmith will ever do. It will be a quick job for him. See if he can get the pin out while he is at it.

The wood is easy to replace. Check out gun parts. They should have a new piece.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#11]
God DAMNIT! Now the fucking rear barrel band won't come off! The furniture is getting scratched to hell, there is now a nice big gouge in the barrel's finish(from removing the front barrel band) and I got fucking splinter in my thumb!

This is the first gun that I have ever wanted to shoot. I mean, I really would like to shoot it into little, tiny pieces. Just completely  blow the shit of of it. I would then take the tiny pieces of wood furniture and burn them until even their ashes have burned into nothingness, then melt down the barrel, the action, the bolt, and especially that little piece of shit retaining pin and turn it into a god damn toilet seat so it can kiss my ass every day for the rest of my life!

Anybody want some 8mm ammo? I'll sell it real cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top