Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2003 3:09:37 PM EDT
I was recently given a type 99 Arisaka as a gift from a friend. It belonged to her grandpa. I noticed the bolt was missing, and she said her grandpa had to throw it overboard so that he could keep it as a war trophy. The rifle is obviously a "last ditch" example. It has a non adjustable peep sight and some machining marks on the receiver. I was wondering if these are safe to shoot. I know where I can get a bolt and some ammo for it. If not, does the rifle have any collector's value? I think it might be best to just buy a bolt, sling, and bayonet for it and set it next to my unfired byf 45 Mauser. Then I could have last ditch bolt rifles from our two major enemies of WWII. Your thoughts please.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:38:31 PM EDT
Last ditch type 99 rifles are amoung the most collectable of the type. Despitetheir condition, they are built very strongly. They are after all, a Mauser bolt system.

I would have a good gunsmith check it out before firing, but I should be fine. If its condition is fairly decent (aside from its last ditch condition) I would personally not shoot it, but put it in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:12:14 PM EDT
I have two 99s, 1 original and 1 Sporterized. When you get the new bolt have a gun smith check it out.

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:23:19 AM EDT
Bought an M1 carbine and a Type 99 for $220 about 10 yrs ago. You can definitly tell it's a last ditch. However it appears to be unissued. Never fired it. One of these days I wiil get around to it.

Ammo won't be cheap.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:53:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2003 8:53:55 AM EDT by Jakezor]
I got one passed down from my Grandpa to my Uncle to me.

Mine seems to be in fairly good shape, not a last ditcher, but I can't remember what arsenal it came from and what year it was built.

The bayonet is quite vicious too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:59:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2003 11:01:50 AM EDT by GaryM]
You can make brass for the 7.7 Arisaka from 8mm mauser brass. Check some of the japanese collector boards for more details.

Forgot to add, check Numrich for a bolt, they have all sorts of hard to find items.
www.gunpartscorp.com/
Top Top