Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2003 11:12:01 AM EDT
How do you use Easy Off (In the yellow can) to remove cosmo from a M44 carbine? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't.

That stuff is just too caustic and I have to think it damages the wood (despite numerous claims otherwise).  A buddy of mine who restores antique furniture agrees.  I just use some of that citrus degreaser that you can find at Wal-Mart or the supermarket.  Does the trick and doesn't bleach or otherwise damage the wood.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#2]

What I've been doing is using that orange spray on cleaner to get off the major deposits so it can be handled without making a mess. Then I let it bake in the sun(at least during the summer months) for a few days wiping off what leaches out every few hours.
Works pretty well.

S-I
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
This is how I did it.

Wrap the wood real tight in paper towels and put it in a black plastic garbage bag.

Leave the bag on your dash board and change the paper towels a couple of times.  I hope this does less damage to the wood.

Wipe it off with mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool.

If you don't like they way it turns out, you didn't get this from me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Use your dishwasher.  As long as you take the stock out before the dry cycle starts you ought to be fine.  I was worried about using this method on my Garand stock afraid it would develope cracks and such.  I was extra careful by letting the stock dry in the refridgerator, which slows down the drying time considerably and helps prevent any damage to the stock.  Yes it takes a while but there was no manual labor involved.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
We don't have a dishwasher.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been using Easy Off for 10 years or so. First read about if in a Brownell's news letter. Remove all the metal possible(will also remove paint)spray liberally using the usual protection for skin and eyes. Let stand in a warm place forup to an hour( 30 min mininum)then wash in warm water using a soft bristle brush, be thorough in the inletting. Dry with rags or paper towels and set aside till thoroughly dry. If that doesn't get it all do it over again. I have had stocks that took 4 times. Let set a few days then you can start the refinishing. I start with a stain then use linseed oil
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't.

That stuff is just too caustic and I have to think it damages the wood (despite numerous claims otherwise).  A buddy of mine who restores antique furniture agrees.  I just use some of that citrus degreaser that you can find at Wal-Mart or the supermarket.  Does the trick and doesn't bleach or otherwise damage the wood.

Just my $0.02

Yup...Use a Citrus Cleaner and elbow grease.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used Easy Off with good results to pull the gunk out of an SKS stock before staining and refinishing. You might also want to call around to some furniture refinishing companies. They might have vats that they use to boil off old wood finishes and be willing to do it for a small fee.

I certainly wouldn't put any gun parts in the dishwasher. There will be traces of lead on them from priming compounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top