Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/2/2003 7:27:54 AM EDT
I just got my C&R license and I'm looking to buy my first gun with it in about 2 weeks. Question is, what to buy? Here are my choices: Yugo SKS, M44, CZ52. The M44 is the cheapest at 70-80 from AIM Surplus. I can get the SKS for around $140 and the CZ52 for $110. What would be the best to start with? These are going to be shooters. I have read the SKS is a very nice rifle to shoot but since it's the most expensive on the list, I would like to wait on it and get the M44 first but I thought I would check with those who know more about this before I made the plunge.
Second, AIM has a "wrapped" M44 for $69.95. Are these good rifles? I am brand new to all this so I don't want to buy something and get a nasty suprise like it needs alot of work (cleaning, ect.) before it's good to go. Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:41:41 AM EDT
Most surplus C&Rs require a good bit of cleaning before you are ready to go. Usally they are caked in cosmoline , but that is part of the charm of cruffling. Personally I would get the SKS out of that list (cause I already have a CZ52 and M44 )
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:45:43 PM EDT
CZ52, the ability to mail order a handgun over the phone is so kewl. That and the gun itself is a real hoot to shoot and a heck of an attention getter. The Yugos are interesting too but also consider rifles like the M48/M48a, The Swiss K31 and the Enfields. All are inexpensive and fun.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:58:50 PM EDT
well, if you have easy access to a rifle range, i'd say go w/ the sks. common cartridge (share w/ an ak), semi-auto, 10 round fixed mag (20 w/ the chinese replacement). the m44 is a bit hinkier - not so much for the faint of heart.

if you don't have access to a rifle range - cz52 all the way; cause you're going to *have* to shoot it as soon as you get it, and waiting around is a killer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:02:31 PM EDT
I vote CZ-52, I have one and it's a great shooter...

I also got the SOG flyer today, and they're about $109 IIRC.. pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:03:42 PM EDT
Have you ever looked at the CZ50?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:56:33 PM EDT
Sounds like you have some good choices for starters. My first was a CZ52 and I was extremely happy with it. I got mine through SOG. It was a black re-arsenal gun. My brother ordered one through AIM and it was a grey one that does not appear to have been re-arsenaled. We both agree that the black finish looks better on a CZ, your milage may vary.

I read on another C&R board that the wrapped M44s from AIM were well worth the money and a good deal. I have no personal experience with them though. I did order a M38 from Aztec and was extremely happy with what I got. They were running a special on what they call their rack pull guns, rifle and accessories for $79 + $10 shipping. Mine was a rack pulled rifle. It is in very good condition and had very little cosmo for me to clean up. Bore was great and is not counter bored. I bought mine more as a shooter than a collector but it is still a nice rifle. Here is a link to their pricing page www.aztecguns.com/Pricing.htm

Eventually I want one of the SKSs that everybody and their brother seems to be selling right now. I am gambling that the price will drop a bit on these though, so I am willing to wait. Good luck with whatever you choose and be sure to let us know how you make out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:24:42 AM EDT

If you can find one, don't forget the Sistema Modelo 1927...this is a Colt 1911, 45 caliber, that was manufactured in Argentina...all parts are interchangeable with the Colt 1911...great gun...cost about $295 for arsenal refinished.
Top Top