Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 7:27:54 AM EDT
I just got my C&R license and I'm looking to buy my first gun with it in about 2 weeks.  Question is, what to buy?  Here are my choices: Yugo SKS, M44, CZ52.  The M44 is the cheapest at 70-80 from AIM Surplus.  I can get the SKS for around $140 and the CZ52 for $110.  What would be the best to start with?  These are going to be shooters.  I have read the SKS is a very nice rifle to shoot but since it's the most expensive on the list, I would like to wait on it and get the M44 first but I thought I would check with those who know more about this before I made the plunge.
  Second, AIM has a "wrapped" M44 for $69.95.  Are these good rifles?  I am brand new to all this so I don't want to buy something and get a nasty suprise like it needs alot of work (cleaning, ect.) before it's good to go.  Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Most surplus C&Rs require a good bit of cleaning before you are ready to go. Usally they are caked in cosmoline , but that is part of the charm of cruffling. Personally I would get the SKS out of that list (cause I already have a CZ52 and M44 )
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
CZ52, the ability to mail order a handgun over the phone is so kewl. That and the gun itself is a real hoot to shoot and a heck of an attention getter. The Yugos are interesting too but also consider rifles like the M48/M48a, The Swiss K31 and the Enfields. All are inexpensive and fun.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
well, if you have easy access to a rifle range, i'd say go w/ the sks.  common cartridge (share w/ an ak), semi-auto, 10 round fixed mag (20 w/ the chinese replacement).  the m44 is a bit hinkier - not so much for the faint of heart.

if you don't have access to a rifle range - cz52 all the way; cause you're going to *have* to shoot it as soon as you get it, and waiting around is a killer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I vote CZ-52, I have one and it's a great shooter...

I also got the SOG flyer today, and they're about $109 IIRC..  pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you ever looked at the CZ50?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you have some good choices for starters. My first was a CZ52 and I was extremely happy with it. I got mine through SOG. It was a black re-arsenal gun. My brother ordered one through AIM and it was a grey one that does not appear to have been re-arsenaled. We both agree that the black finish looks better on a CZ, your milage may vary.

I read on another C&R board that the wrapped M44s from AIM were well worth the money and a good deal. I have no personal experience with them though. I did order a M38 from Aztec and was extremely happy with what I got. They were running a special on what they call their rack pull guns, rifle and accessories for $79 + $10 shipping. Mine was a rack pulled rifle. It is in very good condition and had very little cosmo for me to clean up. Bore was great and is not counter bored. I bought mine more as a shooter than a collector but it is still a nice rifle. Here is a link to their pricing page www.aztecguns.com/Pricing.htm

Eventually I want one of the SKSs that everybody and their brother seems to be selling right now. I am gambling that the price will drop a bit on these though, so I am willing to wait. Good luck with whatever you choose and be sure to let us know how you make out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:24:42 AM EDT
[#7]

If you can find one, don't forget the Sistema Modelo 1927...this is a Colt 1911, 45 caliber, that was manufactured in Argentina...all parts are interchangeable with the Colt 1911...great gun...cost about $295 for arsenal refinished.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top