Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really want one of those French open-bolt semi autos.
View Quote

I collect Gevarms ...... and other open bolt .22's (Marlin 50's / Ranger 34A's) ....

Been looking for an Argentine Venturini (Gevarm copy) for 20 years .... Have also been looking for a mag for my A2 in .22 short forever .....maybe one of these days.

Gevarm E1 and A3:

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the mossbergs, 144's a model 35 and a 43 are my favorite ones but have a couple more.
I always thought the Savage 1903 was an odd one, cresent butt, octagonal barrel and magazine fed..
I have 2 decent ones and a couple of parts guns.
I'm always on the lookout for large and small frame martinis also, have a few bsa's and a Greener and a Bonehill large frame conversion.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Whitney Wolverine Nickel (original circa 1950)

I got to play with a new copy a few years back - complete POS

Red
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3c/8e/fa/3c8efa20ee03d6b9d843c05371c42fab.jpg

Whitney Wolverine Nickel (original circa 1950)

I got to play with a new copy a few years back - complete POS

Red
View Quote

Supposedly the first batch of reproductions came with bad magazines.  No idea how true that is but the one I fired did not malfunction.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I enjoy the old 22's, Remington Rollingblock #4, Savage Model 1914, Winchester Model 62 (pre-WWII) and a couple 62A's. More modern include a Romanian trainer, Mohawk Brown version of Nylon 66, Marlin 39A. Looking for  Browning SA and/or 10/22 now along with a Winchester 9422 and hope to get a Martini eventually.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 2:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  I enjoy the old 22's, Remington Rollingblock #4, Savage Model 1914, Winchester Model 62 (pre-WWII) and a couple 62A's. More modern include a Romanian trainer, Mohawk Brown version of Nylon 66, Marlin 39A. Looking for  Browning SA and/or 10/22 now along with a Winchester 9422 and hope to get a Martini eventually.
View Quote

I guess the early 10/22s are C&R now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a T/C Classic .22 which I really enjoy. I wish I bought more magazines when they were still in production, though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a T/C Classic .22 which I really enjoy. I wish I bought more magazines when they were still in production, though.
View Quote

Doesn't it take 10/22 mags?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#9]
No, you may be thinking of the T/C TCR22, which is a clone of a 10/22. The T/C Classic was a unique T/C rifle, it took 5 round flush fit and 10 round extended mags. I have one of each, NIB mags go for stupid money on Ebay or Gunbroker these days. Great little rifle, though.

Not my pic, shamelessly stolen from the Interweb. I think they offered these in one of the .17 caliber rimfire calibers, as well.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Savage Model 6
Stevens Model 87 & 87K
Springfield Model 76

All of these rifles will fire .22 long rifle ammunition in semi auto mode but can also fire cartridges as a manual straight pull, locked breech bolt action by using the bolt handle. The manual capability allows the use of .22 long and .22 short cartridges.
Gary
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Savage Model 6
Stevens Model 87 & 87K
Springfield Model 76

All of these rifles will fire .22 long rifle ammunition in semi auto mode but can also fire cartridges as a manual straight pull, locked breech bolt action by using the bolt handle. The manual capability allows the use of .22 long and .22 short cartridges.
Gary

Quoted:

The fact that the bolt doesn't close until you release the trigger.

Ok, I guess that's right. I have an 87a and an 87d. Maybe one more, I'd have to check.  I have an assortment of old .22s I bought cheap and fixed up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I’m shocked no one has mentioned the S&W 41.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have been focused on expanding my 22lr collection for about a year.  I have always had my "gucci'd" 10/22.  The current one is setup for general plinking, being able to take it out to 100-200, and popping pests on the farm.  I have thought about building a dedicated plinker 10/22: lightweight, red dot, etc.

I did just buy a few Stevens single shots.  The Favorite, Little Scout, and Crackshot.  I have also been keeping my eyes on the Stevens single shot pistols.

Recently, I've found myself looking at stuff like this:  

https://doubleaction.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Stevens-Model-70.jpg

https://p1.gunbroker.com/pics/957237000/957237451/pix904846248.jpg

Are there any odd and unique pieces that would be worth looking for?  I'm not opposed to newer plastic pistols, if it has that "cool" factor.  The Mosquito, P22, M&P 22 are just too basic for me.  I do like some of the Ruger Mark and 22/45 stuff.  Browning Buckmarks CAN be OK.  I've even looked for S&W 22a and Beretta Neos pistols recently.
View Quote
Own over a dozen 22s of various flavors.  My favorite one is a savage 22aa. Never see one anywhere in the wild.  Possible the best trigger I have ever pulled on any gun. Prob my most accurate 22 also.

Eta: delayed double tap.
where'd the green arrow go

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Walther G22
View Quote

I have one.

Don't EVER disassemble it.  You need eight hands to control all the little parts that will attempt to scatter themselves when you try to reassemble it.

As for me, I've always wanted to add a Belgian Browning SA-22 to my collection:

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Old single shots are my jam these days.  This is a Stevens Tip Up in .22 lr.  Needs a full rebuild.  Gonna take a while.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Old single shots are my jam these days.  This is a Stevens Tip Up in .22 lr.  Needs a full rebuild.  Gonna take a while.
View Quote

I have an old, I mean old, Stevens Crackshot (I think) that needs serious work. Not a single good part on it. Every pin, hole, or screw is destroyed. Stock held together with duct tape. Probably hasn't been functional is several decades.  I have the tools and skills to fix. Just not the time to take it on yet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have an old, I mean old, Stevens Crackshot (I think) that needs serious work. Not a single good part on it. Every pin, hole, or screw is destroyed. Stock held together with duct tape. Probably hasn't been functional is several decades.  I have the tools and skills to fix. Just not the time to take it on yet.
View Quote
They are very satisfying projects.  Take some time to analyze it and make a list of what you need to do the the order you need to do it in. Make it a New Year project.  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I am kinda looking for a Stevens "Favorite" Single shot falling block. I saw one about 5 years back that evidently someone is reproducing them now (Third time from a third company if I remember). I am ok picking up a repo as it is going to be a safe queen that may get shot every so often when I am feeling nostalgistic.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I inherited a beat to shit Winchester 69.

The bluing under surface rust was surprisingly good with very minor pitting. 000 Steel Wool and some Hoppes did the trick, and it cleaned up very good.

The stock was disgusting though. The rifle itself was soaked with water during a house fire. The stock actually smelled from a mixture of the smoke, mouse shit, and just funk from being in a gun sock. I cleaned it up but it was also cracked/still stunk.

I found a Winchester 69A stock on ebay in great condition. However there were some difference. I swapped the appropriate parts out and was able to install the action in the new stock. I noticed some minor slop and that the barrel channel is actually bigger than the prior gen. So I simply bedded the action with some aluminum stock (A cut up heat shield from an AR tbh).

Also i stalled a reproduction hood/front sight ramp.

It's rock solid now, and the barrel is free floated. 22 Short out of a 26" barrel is pretty quiet btw. Honestly I think it will make a nice discreet pest gun.
I replaced the mangled looking buckhorn with a skinner rear sight. The peep surprisingly works that far forward.

Mags only hold 5 rounds however, the only extended mags are promag which is gross. I purchased 2x reproduction 22lr mags, and 1x 22 short mag.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The collectors value is shit. But it was my god father's, and it meant a lot to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are very satisfying projects.  Take some time to analyze it and make a list of what you need to do the the order you need to do it in. Make it a New Year project.  You won't regret it.
View Quote

It's got at least 3 or 4 other rifles ahead of it in varying stages of rebuilding and my shop time/tool access is virtually zero for the foreseeable future. Their spirits are kept high by the dozen or so already completed rifles keeping them company.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The 62SA is worth looking at. I have the Rossi made copy, and it feeds S,L,LR, and is silly fun to slam fire. Hearing safe with CB Shorts even without a can.

I also really like my only family heirloom, a Remington Model 24 chambered in 22S that my g-g-grandpa bought in 1928. It is a 1920s autoloader based on a browning design, and has the very unique trait of cycling in CB Shorts. I've considered getting a junk-grade one just to thread the barrel but it's a super back burner idea.

My example also has the bottom ejection deflector, which is a fairly sought after accessory. Cases tend to drop straight down your sleeve otherwise.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20220831_094844_jpg-2617742.JPG
View Quote

Oh, I missed a little Remington like that at a pawn shop in Arlington, VA back in 1977 or 78 by a week.  Paid off my M97 Winchester 12 ga. and walked down the aisle to grab that little .22 short firing Browning copy and someone else had already taken it.  Never have seen another one since.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked up a tired Stevens Favorite 1894 at my LGS for a song. The rifling was surprisingly crisp with no bore erosion. It had hardware bolts holding the action together and a fully split stock held together by black gaffer’s tape. It is making for a wonderful Winter project in between reloading sessions. The stock and forearm reformed nicely. They got a 10 coat hand rubbed linseed oil finish. It takes reading glasses to make out any of the repair. Rebluing is next and case hardening the receiver will come after that. Once done she’ll look a lot les/ than the 120 something years old that she is. I have a Remington Matchmaster waiting behind it but that will take more cleaning than anything. Old steel and walnut is one of my jams to be sure!
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's got at least 3 or 4 other rifles ahead of it in varying stages of rebuilding and my shop time/tool access is virtually zero for the foreseeable future. Their spirits are kept high by the dozen or so already completed rifles keeping them company.
View Quote
LOL. I am in the same boat.  My Rolling Block and my Walther PP are at the head of the line at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Should I leave it as is ?   Winchester model 57 Target

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Yes. The whole package is a neat throw-back to a time long gone.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes. The whole package is a neat throw-back to a time long gone.
View Quote

I took care of the crack in front of the receiver sight with some acraglass, and found an original mag.....aside from the cloudy optics in the Lyman 422 scope, it's a great shooter.....someone loved it 70-80 years ago

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I had one of the Browning take-downs, nickel (I think) receiver, polished walnut stock.  Sexy little gun.  Sold it when I was young and stupid and in a bind.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I am on the lookout for a clean Browning BL22 to send off to get threaded for a silencer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23042/Tip_Up_JPG-2637718.jpg

View Quote

I have a Stevens visible loader and I believe a Flobert parlor rifle
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I look for USGI .22's and older factory 1911 based ones. [and not those cheap ass newer ones]
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not so much odd as unusual and versatile.  Most .22LR semi-autos are designed to shoot .22LR and either can't shoot shorts or longs or struggles to do so.

This Remington 552 Speedmaster doesn't care.  Mix and match.  As long as it has enough power to cycle the action it keeps on humming.  They are getting a but pricey.

https://i.postimg.cc/1zwwBx7q/D24-BDEFA-7-A18-4196-90-BF-68-FD998-CCE62.jpg
View Quote

I have a couple and they are very accurate.

LC
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#31]
For the Winchester rifles, Wisners make reproduction Winchester magazines in 10 round capacity that have a very good reputation.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  For the Winchester rifles, Wisners make reproduction Winchester magazines in 10 round capacity that have a very good reputation.
View Quote

Thanks for that - bookmarked.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#33]
There’s so many to choose from.

I happened across a few volley guns in .22LR. Possibly the strangest.

Or those Erma M1 Carbine copies in .22WMR which have a piston (?) gas system.

Quoted:
I really want one of those French open-bolt semi autos.
View Quote

Superb quality and design. There’s just so little to go wrong. And far more reliable and low maintenance than any other semi auto rimfire I’ve encountered.

Apparently the factory select-fire version was intended as a ‘fun novelty’.

A product of a very different era and place.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was always interested in the Savage/Stevens/Springfield "gill guns" with the odd "clack-clack" action. I've yet to acquire one for my collection of .22 rifles so the hunt continues.
Gary
View Quote

Found one here, they're neat, especially the semi/bolt function.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I freakin' love all .22s.

On my list....
Marlin 39A
Another Remington 121
Beretta 70S
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#36]
US Property ones...........

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Think I've had almost every type of 22 over the years I've been trading. Love the savage 24 series of.combination guns.  Recently traded into a CZ453 heavy barrel (set trigger version of the CZ452) to go with my 29" and 16" 452s.  Have several NAAs in LR and MAG as well ad beretta 21a and a walther tph, both small 22lrs.  All are fun to play with, as well as some abused S&W pinned barrel revolvers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The fact that the bolt doesn't close until you release the trigger.
View Quote

This, and gill guns like my Savage/Stevens 87B can lock their bolts by pushing the charge knob in. Load the magazine tube with subsonic long rifle or CB shorts, cycle to load, push button to lock, fire, unlock, repeat. With the bolt closed it's as quiet as a bolt action.

I also have a Stevens Marksman and Favorite, fun guns too. Small, like a Crickett rifle. Good triggers. One's a drop block and the other is a break action.

One of my other old oddballs rimfires is a Marlin 88 semiauto with a feed tube in the buttstock.

Mossberg M-42b is a training rifle, and many are lend-lease rifles (check for proofs on the barrel to see if it spent time overseas). Just a mag fed bolt action but with a Mannlicher stock and if you're lucky it'll have both the original rear notch and the original swing away peeps. Early ones also had a trap door in the butt for mag storage. New production mags are available, and you can get an adaptor for .22shorts too.

Any Marlin model ending in DL came from the factory with peep sights, while a lot if em were removed and sold as they're worth as much as the rifle, a good bore with the original peeps is a good shooter, both pre and post Micro Groove.

Honorable mention to the Calico and it's squirrley helical drum mag. Big fun til the main spring twists but worth it if you treat em right.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  This, and gill guns like my Savage/Stevens 87B can lock their bolts by pushing the charge knob in. Load the magazine tube with subsonic long rifle or CB shorts, cycle to load, push button to lock, fire, unlock, repeat. With the bolt closed it's as quiet as a bolt action.

I also have a Stevens Marksman and Favorite, fun guns too. Small, like a Crickett rifle. Good triggers. One's a drop block and the other is a break action.

One of my other old oddballs rimfires is a Marlin 88 semiauto with a feed tube in the buttstock.

Mossberg M-42b is a training rifle, and many are lend-lease rifles (check for proofs on the barrel to see if it spent time overseas). Just a mag fed bolt action but with a Mannlicher stock and if you're lucky it'll have both the original rear notch and the original swing away peeps. Early ones also had a trap door in the butt for mag storage. New production mags are available, and you can get an adaptor for .22shorts too.

Any Marlin model ending in DL came from the factory with peep sights, while a lot if em were removed and sold as they're worth as much as the rifle, a good bore with the original peeps is a good shooter, both pre and post Micro Groove.

Honorable mention to the Calico and it's squirrley helical drum mag. Big fun til the main spring twists but worth it if you treat em right.
View Quote

Back in production:

https://calicofirearms.com/product/22lr-m-100-carbine-rifle/
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe a nice .22 caliber PCP airgun?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not so much odd as unusual and versatile.  Most .22LR semi-autos are designed to shoot .22LR and either can't shoot shorts or longs or struggles to do so.

This Remington 552 Speedmaster doesn't care.  Mix and match.  As long as it has enough power to cycle the action it keeps on humming.  They are getting a but pricey.

https://i.postimg.cc/1zwwBx7q/D24-BDEFA-7-A18-4196-90-BF-68-FD998-CCE62.jpg
View Quote
I've thought about one of these, or a good condition Stevens Favorite, or a Martini Henry.

As I get older, I'm starting to appreciate more the guns that force me to slow down and enjoy the actions of shooting, rather than solely focusing on pulling the trigger.  

I've really enjoyed owning a 39A that I've lusted over for 20 years; it makes me giggle when I shoot 27 rounds of CB shorts or Super Colibri at the range, especially when the AR users are pausing to change magazines and I'm still shooting, making them wonder WTF  
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#43]
+1 on the 552 Speedmaster, my Dad bought a used 552 Speedmaster back in the late 80's and it's been in the family since.
Never been taken down for a detail cleaning and still runs great, cycles almost any rimfire around. And cycles the junkiest rimfire that most of my newer autoloaders choke on, Didn't appreciate just how accurate it is til I threw a scope on it but went back to the irons.
Have a few more vintage Remington rimfires including a 512 Sportmaster (bolt action tube fed).
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’m shocked no one has mentioned the S&W 41.
View Quote

Since you mention it.

The Smith 41, High Standard Victor and a Beretta 48.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Just to add to the party,

A High Standard “space gun” as they were called and a Colt 1911 Ace .22.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:  Since you mention it.

The Smith 41, High Standard Victor and a Beretta 48.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/2DDD34DC-DF1A-4E18-86F0-EFF519DD1F54-2686264.jpg
View Quote

Which do you shoot better?  And is there anything intrinsic about the High Standard that caused it to fall behind in the marketplace to the 41, or just bad company management?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have one.

Don't EVER disassemble it.  You need eight hands to control all the little parts that will attempt to scatter themselves when you try to reassemble it.

As for me, I've always wanted to add a Belgian Browning SA-22 to my collection:

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/attachments/i-bz5spw3-l-jpg.356177/
View Quote

Love that little Browning.  Wish I had one and a baby browning .25 pistol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Mo skeeto bore pump

Calico

Woodsman

Hammerli

Mark1

S&w K series

Bucmmark rifle

94-22,  22mag

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Which do you shoot better?  And is there anything intrinsic about the High Standard that caused it to fall behind in the marketplace to the 41, or just bad company management?
View Quote

The victors had issue with high velocity rounds and an area on the frame above the magazine where it would crack. Something to check on when buying used.

Small detractor and maybe to the brand but both good.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Latest from Tippmann

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top