Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2017 8:43:30 AM EDT
I currently have two 10/22's and one Model 60. One of the 10/22's is the basic carbine configuration, the other started life as a 10/22 carbine...but received a Target (heavy) barrel and walnut stock. The Model 60 is a late model rifle with a crappy looking synthetic stock that I painted about 10 years ago (looks like crap before and after).

My question for you...if you had a suppressor coming at some point (Dead Air Mask in "jail")...would you just dump all three non-threaded guns and buy one semi-auto in .22 (a 10/22) with a threaded barrel or would you pick one to hang onto and have that one threaded?

My thoughts on my three .22LR rifles:

- The Model 60...to me...is disposable. If it were an older one with a wood stock, I might just hang onto it and plink with subs, as you can't run a can with the tube magazine (as far as I know). If I could get $100 out of it (doubtful), I'd be thrilled.

-The 10/22 carbine isn't a great looking gun, condition wise (purchased used...unknown age). Condition wise...it's maybe 80%. I don't see me wanting to pay $135 to get it threaded. I doubt I could get a whole lot out of it, but at this point...I see it as a waste of space in my safe.

-The 10/22 "Carget" (lol) is a GREAT looking gun and functions well. I purchased it knew and had the modifications done myself, so it's a known entity.The only downside is that with the heavy barrel...it would be heavy to lug around, so it would likely just be a bench shooter.

What would you do? Dump all three and start fresh with one can ready semi-auto rifle? Pick one have it threaded? Etc.

I will also get a CZ bolt .22LR at some point. This is just to address my semi-auto .22LR rifle issue.

One other thing is that my safe has reached critical mass for long gun storage. I'm at the point where in order to bring another one home...I need to get rid of one (I'm not in a position to get/deal with a bigger safe at the moment)...so "keep them all and get a new threaded gun" is not an option.

I would appreciate any advice that you can offer. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger american to keep using your 10/22 mags, or pick up another 10/22 (finaned by the m60, and to make room in the safe) that's more suited as a suppressor host if you want the autoloader.

ETA: get rid of the rough carbine too. Maybe go with a 10/22 sporter (factory FF, med/light barrel), and have the barrel cut down when it's out for threading. Iirc they're 20 and 22" barrels factory, which will get unwieldy with a can attached.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger american to keep using your 10/22 mags, or pick up another 10/22 (finaned by the m60, and to make room in the safe) that's more suited as a suppressor host if you want the autoloader.

ETA: get rid of the rough carbine too. Maybe go with a 10/22 sporter (factory FF, med/light barrel), and have the barrel cut down when it's out for threading. Iirc they're 20 and 22" barrels factory, which will get unwieldy with a can attached.
View Quote
I will check out the Ruger American.  That the one well regarded and reasonably priced bolt .22 that I haven't gotten to check out yet.

That's the thing...I don't have any interest in dropping $135 to get a $200 rifles barrel threaded.  If I went the other 10/22 route, I'd get something like this.  It looks like they have a few other threaded options too.

PSA Ruger 10/22 Threaded for $200
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the Ruger model 8305 (18" synthetic) for factory threaded bolt action.

You gotta pay to play, either way.

Maybe the gun shop (if they offer smithing services) can cut a few bucks off buying from them and having the work done there if you can't find a factory model to your liking. Trading in the other 2 rifles will pay for most of it anyway.

ETA: the PSA link seems like a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The Model 60 should either be kept for a stock rifle or just sell it. It's not worth messing with.

For the 10/22, I would either sell it and buy a rifle ready to go (I did), or buy a new barrel that has threads. Sell the old barrel for a few bucks.

Right now, I have a threaded 10/22 Takedown and a American Rimfire that is stainless and threaded. I also have some Model 60s kicking around for fun or loaning out. The American is very accurate and I like that it uses the same magazines as the 10/22. The Takedown is ok, but it's not as accurate.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally I am not a fan of the 10/22, I own one just like everyone has a belly button.....and the ruger is about as useful.

If someone said you can have one 22 mod 60 or the ruger I would take the marlin in a hot sec.

Out of the box the model 60 shoots better...again IMHO...on average over a 10/22.

Then ask yourself one question......why are there so many parts out there for the 1022....could it be because it needs to be improved.

I dawn my fireproof suit for the replies.

And for the record I do own a 1022....it is an early 80's vintage.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Given your parameters, I'd sell the model 60 to finance a new threaded barrel, which I'd put on one of the 10/22's.  I'd probably buy a 16" light weight AL barrel and put it on the carbine.  I'd replace the stock with a Hogue, or something similar.  I'd keep your heavy weight as is, as you seem to like it best.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
While I don't recommend for or against your keeping the Marlin Model 60, it is possible to suppress a tube fed rifle that has the pull out compression rod.  It can be done with a quick disconnect (QD) suppressor.  Back when, interrupted threads were common, and nowadays other QD apparatuses are fairly common.  Another technique is to use an eccentric/asymmetric bore suppressor with a lock collar.  To load, flip the larger cross section region of the suppressor to the top so the loading rod has clearance.  For shooting, flip the large cross section down which will generally provide sight imagery without using higher sights.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You can have the 10/22 threaded for around $50 HereSell the other two and buy a threaded Ruger RAR for the bolt gun.

ETA: I would have the HB 10/22 threaded, they aren't that heavy and the RAR is lighter if you need a light gun. I would probably have the HB cut to 16-17" when it was threaded, which will also cut weight if it's a 20".
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
A few questions?

Do you hunt with .22lr?

Do you have an AR?

Do you have (or want) a SBR?

Depending on the answers to those my opinion would be to keep the Marlin (you could skip lunch for a few days for what you could sell it for) and the heavy barrel 10/22 (you seem to like it anyway) and replace parts in the other 10/22 starting with a threaded barrel (you can likely pick up a new threaded barrel for close to what you would spend in money and time shipping a barrel out to get threaded).
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can have the 10/22 threaded for around $50 HereSell the other two and buy a threaded Ruger RAR for the bolt gun.

ETA: I would have the HB 10/22 threaded, they aren't that heavy and the RAR is lighter if you need a light gun. I would probably have the HB cut to 16-17" when it was threaded, which will also cut weight if it's a 20".
View Quote
X2 on sending barrels to Morgan.  Had him do some work on 2 of my Marlin barrels for $150
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the responses everyone.

Quoted:
A few questions?

Do you hunt with .22lr?

Do you have an AR?

Do you have (or want) a SBR?

Depending on the answers to those my opinion would be to keep the Marlin (you could skip lunch for a few days for what you could sell it for) and the heavy barrel 10/22 (you seem to like it anyway) and replace parts in the other 10/22 starting with a threaded barrel (you can likely pick up a new threaded barrel for close to what you would spend in money and time shipping a barrel out to get threaded).
View Quote
I'll have to get some more quotes locally on getting the barrel threaded. My first reaction when I heard $135 was "I'm not doing that."  

I think I would have a hard time selling the 10/22 I had fixed up, so I should explore the option of getting that one threaded more thoroughly.  I'm not a vain person at all, but the grain of the stock is really something...it's a work of art (in my eyes).

I have hunted with a .22lr before.  That's one reason I'd be tempted to go with a lighter barrel for threading. However, I don't do it with enough frequency that I couldn't just sack-up and deal with the extra weight of the heavy barreled one.

I do have an AR.

I would consider an SBR at some point, but I would say it's not all that likely. I don't see me wanting to drop $200+ (stamp, lower, etching of lower, etc.) anytime soon though.  Will probably just keep the lower with a brace around.

That's the thing with the dumpy 10/22...It's ripe for a barrel upgrade. The receiver is in good shape, the only real cosmetic issue is with the barrel and front sight.

The $$ for the Model 60....that's the only reason I haven't unloaded it to this point. I'm sure it's not even worth my time to list it and deal with having to meet up with people to facilitate a sale.

Quoted:
Personally I am not a fan of the 10/22, I own one just like everyone has a belly button.....and the ruger is about as useful.

If someone said you can have one 22 mod 60 or the ruger I would take the marlin in a hot sec.

Out of the box the model 60 shoots better...again IMHO...on average over a 10/22.

Then ask yourself one question......why are there so many parts out there for the 1022....could it be because it needs to be improved.

I dawn my fireproof suit for the replies.

And for the record I do own a 1022....it is an early 80's vintage.
View Quote
From what I've seen...the 10/22 seems to be the poor mans AR.  Well...that's back when the entry cost to an AR was $800+.  Nowadays, you can get one any day of the week for $450.  But anyways, I digress...the point being that parts are so plentiful for 10/22's not because they have issues, but because they are inexpensive to customize (unless you go overboard).

I might have a different take on my Model 60 if it were an older one.  I'll just say that it is the only weapon that I've ever had have a failure at the range that I was unable to address without having to pull out the instruction manual.  If I knew better at the time (bought it new in 2007), I would have gone to a pawn shop, bought a 30+ year old one, and spent the difference on an inexpensive/decent rimfire scope.  The one it came with (I think I paid $20-30 extra for that model) was a complete piece of $h1t and ended up getting tossed in the trash.  Live and learn...

Quoted:
Given your parameters, I'd sell the model 60 to finance a new threaded barrel, which I'd put on one of the 10/22's.  I'd probably buy a 16" light weight AL barrel and put it on the carbine.  I'd replace the stock with a Hogue, or something similar.  I'd keep your heavy weight as is, as you seem to like it best.
View Quote
I'll have to do some looking around and see what I can see on barrel threading prices.  Unless I can find one heck of a deal, I doubt that the sale of the Model 60 is going to cover the cost of that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I just wanted to follow-up with an update. I took all three of them to a shop down the road from me with the intent of getting rid of all of them, if the price was right. I received what I thought was a pretty solid offer for the Model 60 (painted laminate stock) and the 10/22 (not the best condition), so I let both of those go.  

I'll hang onto the nice 10/22 for now and revisit that one another day (they didn't offer much for that).  For now though...I'm happy. I gained a good amount of space in the safe by getting rid of those two. I didn't realize how much space they took up.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I was going to say Kidd light weight threaded barrel and a Magpul X-22 stock for the other 10/22.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd say buy a threaded ruger OEM barrel for your untouched 10/22 carbine.  

I've seven 10/22s, mostly because i kept falling into sub 100 dollar 10/22s.  My seventh was a threaded takedown model 21181. I picked up a few weeks ago for 250.  I love this rifle.  It won't replace my target 10/22, but it will take over for plinking duty.  This rifle was highly accurate.  It ate brands of ammo my 6 other 10/22s choke on.

if you sell all three.  Consider a threaded 10/22 takedown.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I would just sell the heavy barrel and put a 16.5” threaded kidd lightweight barrel on it and you’re good to go.  I love my kidd lightweight. Accurate and not too heavy with my can on it. You could get the ultralight, but it isn’t as accurate supposedly. It is cheaper than the lightweight though. The threaded lightweights barrel runs $298 shipped If I remember right. You can get a new 10/22 carbine with a threaded barrel for $200. If you are ok with your heavy barrel there is a guy on here that does great work threading barrels cheaply. He did my .17hmr chop, crown, and thread. Its very nice work.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would just sell the heavy barrel and put a 16.5” threaded kidd lightweight barrel on it and you’re good to go.  I love my kidd lightweight. Accurate and not too heavy with my can on it. You could get the ultralight, but it isn’t as accurate supposedly. It is cheaper than the lightweight though. The threaded lightweights barrel runs $298 shipped If I remember right. You can get a new 10/22 carbine with a threaded barrel for $200. If you are ok with your heavy barrel there is a guy on here that does great work threading barrels cheaply. He did my .17hmr chop, crown, and thread. Its very nice work.
View Quote
That's just it...it's not worth it to me to buy a new barrel or get the work done when it's basically the cost of a new gun.  ex. Even if I could find someone here  that would do it cheaper...I still have to pay to ship it both ways.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#17]
If you have a suppressor in jail, you’re going to have to spend money to make it work. How much and where it comes from is up to you. I’m pretty sure the guy that did my 17 does just threading for $50 + $15 return shipping, it cost me $13 to shop to him I think. $78 is probably your cheapest route. Sell one rifle to thread the other???  Sell 2 of them and the heavy barrel and break even on a kidd match grade barrel???  Sell 2 of them and buy a factory threaded gun???The choice is yours.

Fun money doesn’t come easy to me either, I get your concern over the money. Putting a $300 barrel and a $150 stock on a $200 rifle is crazy.  It took me like 5-6 months to save up enough for my kidd barrel alone, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. You won’t be disappointed.

Morgan does a great job threading also. He’s fast and the cheapest around.

Link to threading post
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry I just saw you already sold 2 of them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you have a suppressor in jail, you’re going to have to spend money to make it work. How much and where it comes from is up to you. I’m pretty sure the guy that did my 17 does just threading for $50 + $15 return shipping, it cost me $13 to shop to him I think. $78 is probably your cheapest route. Sell one rifle to thread the other???  Sell 2 of them and the heavy barrel and break even on a kidd match grade barrel???  Sell 2 of them and buy a factory threaded gun???The choice is yours.

Fun money doesn’t come easy to me either, I get your concern over the money. Putting a $300 barrel and a $150 stock on a $200 rifle is crazy.  It took me like 5-6 months to save up enough for my kidd barrel alone, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. You won’t be disappointed.

Link to threading post
View Quote
Thanks for posting this. I'll give this some thought for the remaining/heavy barrrel 10/22.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 2:25:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link to threading post
View Quote
+1 !!   Morgan does great work at amazing prices!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top