Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2017 4:10:06 PM EDT
Saw these two daily deals today, I'll admit, at first I glazed right past them, thinking it must be a typo. But it would appear PSA has now entered the .22lr upper market.

$329.99 for the fancy version
16" 1-16 twist, 13.5" M-Lok upper with BCG and Charging Handle
$299.99 for the classic version
16" 1:16 Twist Classic Handguard with FSB, BCG and CH.

Both are currently in stock, both have a 1:16 twist, both advertise using Black Dog magazines. Anyone recognize the BCG from their images?

Guesses as to reliability?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Now with more better pictures.

Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Upon further review, the bolt looks to be a direct match to CMMG's dedicated 22lr bolt, any thoughts or experience with this? I wouldn't mind adding another 22lr upper to the stable, currently I'm using an M&P 15-22 as my AR trainer, this seems like it would be an upgrade
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good , but will wait to see the beta testers results
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
So, for the price of a complete new in box 10/22 (plus a ton of ammo), could instead have 1/2 a .22LR AR-15???

Not seeing the Deal on that deal...
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good , but will wait to see the beta testers results
View Quote
This. I want one to chop the barrel to a 10.5 for a companion to my SBR, but I need field results first before I pull the trigger or not.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, for the price of a complete new in box 10/22 (plus a ton of ammo), could instead have 1/2 a .22LR AR-15???

Not seeing the Deal on that deal...
View Quote
That's ok, you don't have to. But a lot of us like the idea of being able to set up a trainer/plinker rifle identical to our AR15s, and this provides another option to that means.

Ruger 10/22's are great, but this is a different beast entirely. By your math, for the price of a 10/22 I could have a new in box (plus a ton of ammo) Mossberg 702. I don't want a Mossberg 702, and I'm not looking for more 10/22's. I'm looking to discuss PSA's entry into the 22lr market. If you don't want to contribute with valuable discussion, then this might not be the thread for your pointless cost analysis.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This. I want one to chop the barrel to a 10.5 for a companion to my SBR, but I need field results first before I pull the trigger or not.
View Quote
Same, if it is indeed a CMMG dedicated 22lr build, what is the consensus on those? I haven't seen much discussion on them in the past few years, but I know folks were having to tweak them to get reliability a few years back when I was paying more attention.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Wonder if it comes in HBAR
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I assume the rail is AR pattern? I don't need the MLOK rail/want something different to run as a clone, but for $30 if it's worth something aftermarket....
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I assume the rail is AR pattern? I don't need the MLOK rail/want something different to run as a clone, but for $30 if it's worth something aftermarket....
View Quote
The specs listed show a standard AR (A3/A4/M4) upper is used to build these. "Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is machined to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer."

If you plan to junk the rail, i'd get the carbine plastic version and use that to put your upgrade/aftermarket handguard on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's ok, you don't have to. But a lot of us like the idea of being able to set up a trainer/plinker rifle identical to our AR15s, and this provides another option to that means.

Ruger 10/22's are great, but this is a different beast entirely. By your math, for the price of a 10/22 I could have a new in box (plus a ton of ammo) Mossberg 702. I don't want a Mossberg 702, and I'm not looking for more 10/22's. I'm looking to discuss PSA's entry into the 22lr market. If you don't want to contribute with valuable discussion, then this might not be the thread for your pointless cost analysis.
View Quote
^^^^ THANK YOU

Made my day. Yes I think this will be a great improvment to the market because of PSA's huge production and distro system. CMMG/s&w have had the market cornered for 22 AR parts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

^^^^ THANK YOU

Made my day. Yes I think this will be a great improvment to the market because of PSA's huge production and distro system. CMMG/s&w have had the market cornered for 22 AR parts.
View Quote
I'm kind of thinking CMMG makes the bolt though, which may mean availability is tied to CMMG still. The question is... is CMMG selling off old stock to PSA for cheap because they're phasing it out. A search of CMMG's site doesn't show any of that style of BCGs anymore, unless they only sell them with complete uppers and with barrels.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same, if it is indeed a CMMG dedicated 22lr build, what is the consensus on those? I haven't seen much discussion on them in the past few years, but I know folks were having to tweak them to get reliability a few years back when I was paying more attention.
View Quote
I had a CMMG .22 upper. It was very reliable and pleasingly accurate. I sold it because I'd rather shoot cheap 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought the classic upper on Monday and it arrived Friday. I had it out all weekend and I'm extremely pleased with it. I shot it with various standard and HV ammo and with maybe 500 rounds fired, I had only one failure to extract which I didn't even realize until I had a failure to feed and after clearing, another failure to feed. It wasn't a feed problem, it was because of the spent shell in the chamber which I didn't see. Other then that, feeding was 100%. There was one instance of the hammer failing to reset, and that was shooting with standard velocity Federal match ammo. So really it was just 2 minor issues in over 500 rounds fired. Accuracy wise, it's no different then the 10/22 I have and most likely outshoots me. I love the thing and it was $300 well spent.

ETA: The bolt looks exactly like a CMMG bolt but instead of the chamber insert it just has a collar which fits over the dedicated 22LR barrel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussed in the AR-15, Rimfire and Pistol Caliber Forum:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/PSA-Dedicated-22-LR-upper/15-718370/
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Discussed in the AR-15, Rimfire and Pistol Caliber Forum:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/PSA-Dedicated-22-LR-upper/15-718370/
View Quote
But this was posted first by one day.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the range report, I’m interested in seeing how the overall impressions are. When Appleseed dropped the 15-22 from their allowed list I started looking elsewhere and stopped. This might get me back in with an at platform without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome, I've been wanting a 16" upper to go with my 4.5" CMMG, and this is cheaper than I can build for sure!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Man that is a smoking deal.

I just built a 4.5 " 22Lr upper using the bolt and barrel kit by CMMG, The receiver was a AERO with dust cover and forward assist installed I picked up on sale a few months ago for $50.00. I also bought the CMMG dust cover and swapped it out on the areo receiver. I then bought ablem rail for for $39.00 and picked up a cheap charging handle for $15.00 or so.

The total on it was $403.00 and that was with me buying every little part on sale or using a discount code. And I still have to add a optic.

I would have been better off buying one of these and sending it to eastTXhunter for a barrel lop and thread and swapping out hand guards for a 7".
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm guessing(hoping) these are 100% compatible with a standard AR lower.

Any word on how well they work with Geissele triggers? Specifically SD-E and SD3G.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top