Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 2:05:03 AM EDT
Friend of mine from work has had one of these for years, and decided he wants to trade it for or towards a 9MM pistol. He had me pick it up the other night and wanted me to sell it for him. Now that I've looked at it I decided I want it-anyone know anything about these things? I found one at a LGS known for high prices, listed at $550 for just the rifle. The one my friend has is pre serial number(maybe they all were?) and has a factory 4X scope(scope looks like one of the old steel-tube Weavers). Overall the rifle is in 85-90% condition, some very minor surface rust that I'm slowly cleaning off(the bluing below is great)( and the scope has more surface rust. The wood is in amazing shape for its age-a few little marks from other guns bumping it in a cabinet but that's it. Looks like a fun rifle as-is, or would make a great one to set the front sight back and thread for a suppressor-almost as fast as an auto, no action noise and detachable mag so no worry about a tube clearing a suppressor. Wondering a fair price to offer-again, for me to keep, not to re-sell. This is only the third one I've run into-the others were the one at the LGS and one another friend fixed recently. Would post pics but my brother is in Omaha and borrowed my camera.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't own one of these, but there is a write up on the Marlin Levermatic rifle in the September 2017 issue of Shooting Times magazine. Although the author's rifle is the .256 Winchester Magnum centerfire version, he was impressed with it's accuracy and reliability.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a model 57, it is the tube feed version. Picked it up for $200 8 years ago or so.

I think $250-$300 for the aluminum receiver guns, more for the steel receiver ones.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 57 in .22 mag. It has been a fun accurate rifle. Only paid 150 or so for a some years ago. It is a keeper.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a model 57, it is the tube feed version. Picked it up for $200 8 years ago or so.

I think $250-$300 for the aluminum receiver guns, more for the steel receiver ones.
View Quote
Thanks-this is useful-didn't know they came in aluminum and steel. This one is aluminum. $300 is well within the range I was thinking of offering too, so it might become mine. Nice rifle, but it's no 39A.

If they're as accurate as that writeup mentions it's sad they don't have more of a following. The accuracy makes sense though, it seems like Marlin used the same barrel for their rimfires for 50-75 years and just fitted it to different actions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Friend of mine from work has had one of these for years, and decided he wants to trade it for or towards a 9MM pistol. He had me pick it up the other night and wanted me to sell it for him. Now that I've looked at it I decided I want it-anyone know anything about these things? I found one at a LGS known for high prices, listed at $550 for just the rifle. The one my friend has is pre serial number(maybe they all were?) and has a factory 4X scope(scope looks like one of the old steel-tube Weavers). Overall the rifle is in 85-90% condition, some very minor surface rust that I'm slowly cleaning off(the bluing below is great)( and the scope has more surface rust. The wood is in amazing shape for its age-a few little marks from other guns bumping it in a cabinet but that's it. Looks like a fun rifle as-is, or would make a great one to set the front sight back and thread for a suppressor-almost as fast as an auto, no action noise and detachable mag so no worry about a tube clearing a suppressor. Wondering a fair price to offer-again, for me to keep, not to re-sell. This is only the third one I've run into-the others were the one at the LGS and one another friend fixed recently. Would post pics but my brother is in Omaha and borrowed my camera.
View Quote

I have a steel receiver 56 in 22lr. Took a spare barrel and had it cut down and threaded. (wanted to keep the OG one intact)
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Slight update, talked with him today, he'll take $300 for it so just need to get the money together.

Shot it Tuesday-if I end up with it the scope will definitely get changed. Not sure if it's just a focus issue or old glass but it looked very hazy shooting it. I have a 6X Weaver steel tube that will probably get transferred from my 10/22. Keep the vintage look and improve the glass. Needs a good cleaning too, it seems someone shot a lot of shorts through it and didn't clean it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top