Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 11:25:43 PM EDT
So i've had my 10/22 for years in its wood stock just as it came from the factory.  I see a lot of cool modded rifles all over the internet but my question is where do i start.

I've been in love with Cornbred15's 10/22 since I first saw it.  

Looking at it I don't think anything on that rifle is Ruger at all.  Looks like Kidd complete rifle.

So basically can I build mine out to be something closer to his rifle or should i leave mine a lone and buy a complete Kidd rifle?

any advices would be appreciated.  i just want a really cool squirrel shooter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Building is more fun than buying, IMO.  I have a  couple 10/22 builds with very few Ruger parts.  The first is a scoped rifle in a Bell & Carlson stock built around a Nodak Spud receiver and a 24" rimfirecentral.com special edition barrel from Green Mountain.  Honestly, it's so accurate that it's a little boring to shoot.  

I also built my take on an Appleseed Training Rifle (The old Nodak Spud NDS 22 receiver with the integral rear sight, the NDS 23 front sight, Rimfire Technologies trigger, free floated and bedded).  That one is in a 10/22T laminated wood stock with a Turner Leather National Match Sling.  

One of them has a trigger from Rimfire Technologies, and the other has a Kidd Trigger.  One has a Volqartsen bolt assembly and the other has a Kidd bolt assembly.  I can't recall which has which right now.  The training rifle is more fun to shoot though, because of the iron sights.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looks like Kidd complete rifle.
View Quote

I believe it looks to be built on a Tactical Solutions X Ring receiver and barrel, in the anodized Quick Sand color.
http://www.tacticalsol.com/x-ring-receiver/x-ring-1022-receiver

I don't have any Tactical Solutions barrels but I believe the end of the barrel that goes in to the receiver is aluminum. I don't know how this holds up to repeated impact of the Bolt cycling. On Kidd's light weight aluminum barrels the end is stainless steel.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#3]
As for modifying yours. If your only going to end up using the receiver, then you just as well leave yours alone and start the build off right on a billet receiver.  If you don't want to put it together your self and purchase a Kidd complete rifle you might check out the Super Grade. It does use use a special barrel that will not interchange with regular 10/22 barrels. It has a longer part that slips in to the receiver for a more precise fit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help.  I didn't think adding things to the OEM receiver would get me where I want to be.  I'll start shopping and piece the best on I can and maybe start a build post so everyone can help guide in the right directions

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the help.  I didn't think adding things to the OEM receiver would get me where I want to be.  I'll start shopping and piece the best on I can and maybe start a build post so everyone can help guide in the right directions

Thanks
View Quote
I would be interested to see what you do.  I have been throwing around the same type of idea for a while and still have not come up with a solution for me.  Good luck and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My stock '79 has gone through a lot of modifications over the years.  I actually built a fiberglass and metal folding stock for the thing.  It served until Bell & Carlson came out with their composite thumbhole.  Then the mods just kept going.  First the comped Butler Creek composite barrel (light and fairly accurate), then the RT bolt, Kidd ultralite threaded barrel, and finally the Kidd one stage trigger.  The only Ruger part left is the receiver, which got treated with black Cerama-coat.  The result is a very light and very accurate black rifle.  The trigger is so good it brings tears to my eyes.
The funny thing is that I now have enough parts left over to assemble an almost complete 10/22.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top