Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 2:54:34 AM EDT
Looking for input from those who have done both.  Goal is to have something that is PDW sized, red dot or low magnification optic, VFG, fast handling, doesn't look stupid, and achieve 1 inch groups at 50 yards.

For the 10/22, I'd probably use a PMACA lightweight chassis and a Beyer 6 inch barrel.

If going with an AR, I'd look at the Taccom3g bolt assembly and Beyer barrel.

Leaning towards the 10/22 because I plan to add an RAR compact threaded model at some point, and they share mags.  I prefer the aesthetics of the AR.  I really have no idea how well an AR with beyer barrel shoots compared to a 10/22 with beyer barrel.  Cost wise, if I sell of the 10/22 and accessories and put that money into an AR, then an AR costs about the same as upgrading the 10/22.

Either way, I plan to use a suppressor as well, so if one design suppresses better than the other, that is also a consideration I'll want to take into account.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you plan on using a suppressor, I would suggest a 4.5in barrel. This will keep all ammo subsonic. If you plan on only using subs or standard vel., a 6" would work. PMACA recently started to inlet their chassis for a suppressor to be used with a 4.5in barrel. I am going this route soon as my form 1 for a charger receiver just returned.

I have a 4.5in barrel .22 upper for an AR and can break clay targets at 75yds. With a folding stock it would be compact but not as compact as a 10/22 pocket rifle.

If you can only do one, it would be cheaper to go with the upper. But the true ARFCOM answer is get both.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#2]
My choice would be an AR upper. That way you can SBR a lower receiver and have lots of caliber options. 22lr, 9mm, 300BLK all popular SBR calibers. 

As as long as you keep a SBR upper in the caliber that matches your Form 1 you should not have any legal issues swapping uppers. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have not done both.  I did take a Ruger charger with the 10" threaded barrel, put it into a PMACA chasis, add a KAK shockwave brace with a PA red dot.  Very easy and fun.  You would have lots of options in the future with mags and suppressors, I would think.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have several 10/22's, and have thought about SBR'ing a Charger for the magazine compatibility.

In the end, for the price of one tax stamp, I built a 5.56 10.5" SBR, and added a 4.5" dedicated 22LR upper.

I used a CMMG barrel & bolt combo, a Aero Precision handguard. Here it is with my SilencerCo Sparrow & Holosun sight...

So far, I have not really shot it for accuracy past 25 yards, and a 1" group was easy with a red dot sight. I'd have to mount up a scope to really test it at any further distance since the RDS would be the limiting factor. I know it's soda can / clay pigeon accurate at 50 yards.

Every time it's out on the range, it is one of the most popular guns people ask to shoot!

Whatever way you go, you'll have fun.

Bob S.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]
AR - more versatile.
10/22 - sleeker, lighter, more compact.

I've done both but always grab a 10/22 when going out to shoot small critters.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 10.5 CMMG dedicated .22lr upper for my AR SBR... if you have any problems with feeding look at one of the Boonie Packer Better Mag adapters and use SW 15-22 magazines
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have stamps for both but have only built the AR...  it runs so well I wonder why I bothered with the 10/22 stamp, pre 41f fears I reckon...  I would just get a refund on the stamp if I hadn't already bought all the parts which  have been sitting around for over a year.

Anyway, what are the 22 upper options?  When I built mine, only Spike's was considered top notch and I paid out the rear for it.  However it is very accurate.  Also very quiet.   And having all the regular SBR options of a standard AR15 lower doesn't hurt.  If HPA ever passes you will kick yourself for having a 10/22 stamp when everybody will just do an integral.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
You know the obvious answer

Attachment Attached File

Both have AGP folding stocks, 4.5" barrels and SS Spectre II's
The AR upper has a CMMG barrel/bolt combo w/ MI rail
The 10/22 has a Beyer barrel

I've only shot about 500 rounds through each with zero issues
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My choice would be an AR upper. That way you can SBR a lower receiver and have lots of caliber options. 22lr, 9mm, 300BLK all popular SBR calibers. 

As as long as you keep a SBR upper in the caliber that matches your Form 1 you should not have any legal issues swapping uppers. 
View Quote
I went this route and I'm very happy with it. Not much is more fun than blasting through 25 round mags with a suppressed 4.5" .22lr AR!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, this.

I've got both.  I built the 10/22 around 2001, I think. The AR was a few years later. The AR is nice for versatility. I can run several different calibers in lots of different configurations.

Having said that, I can't remember the last time I shot the AR in .22LR. The 10/22 gets the nod when I want to shoot suppressed rimfire.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have either but would prefer to do a SBR on a 10/22, and Id probably do it on a billet receiver instead of the stock cast one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/188669/Suppressed_22s-288554.JPG

Both have AGP folding stocks, 4.5" barrels and SS Spectre II's
The AR upper has a CMMG barrel/bolt combo w/ MI rail
The 10/22 has a Beyer barrel

I've only shot about 500 rounds through each with zero issues
View Quote
This.  AR is more flexible in caliber... 22LR, 9MM, 223, 300BLK.  10/22 in a PMACA chassis is the schiznitzel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:36:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I have both but run the 4.5" ar-15-22 way more.  It could also be because I have a 10" kidd barrel on the 10/22.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I have both actually..

1022 sbr in a pmca chassis with side folder 5.5" barrel

Sbr upper Spikes barrel 4.5" and bolt in a old Colt upper with a cut off alg rail..

I like both equally but prefer the 1022 for light work as it's less finicky with ammo and more compact.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I have both.  If I had to do it over.....

SBR ar15 receiver and brace on Ruger charger
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#16]
In true arfcom fashion - get both!!

If it were me I would start with the AR due to the flexability; then later as I acquired more short uppers in other calibers, I would SBR the Ruger and get the RAR.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I have multiples of both

I shoot the AR a lot more than the 10/22.

Unless you get a railed receiver with conversion for a FF tube a10/22 kinda limited IMO. All the stock options suck, If you add a tactical chassis it will weigh as much as a AR. The mag selection sucks IMO. Aftermarket parts are expensive. Triggers are also limited and expensive for what you get.

AR =one SBR can be many SBRs, beyer barrel is awesome, many many after market parts that can be cheap as well as expensive. AR22lr have better mags IMO. AR22s have better triggeres

If you want a plane jane rifle, get a 10/22. If you want any kind of upgrades that dont cost a lot and is more fun, get a AR22.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  I have a .22lr upper built identically to my 5.56 upper.  Swap them as desired.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AR - more versatile.
10/22 - sleeker, lighter, more compact.
View Quote
this... get both!
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I went this route and I'm very happy with it. Not much is more fun than blasting through 25 round mags with a suppressed 4.5" .22lr AR!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.  I already had an SBR and after playing with a buddy's 10/22 SBR I just couldn't see buying another stamp when I already had a lower that would work.  I'd like to SBR my Papoose but I don't shoot enough as it is to fork over another $200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top