Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2010 2:36:55 PM EDT
I'm just about done building up an AR in .22lr.  Wondering what optic I should put on it.  All my other AR's have EO Techs, but I'm not sure this one warrants it.

First, I've got about $450 in the whole gun, and just have a hard time putting a $500 optic on a $400 gun.

Second, I'd like something with some crosshairs so I can use hold-over with the .22lr round.  Magnification isn't really a factor.  I have been considering going cheap with one of the NC Star Trijicon looking 2-7 or 3-9 scopes, but cheaping out isn't usually my way of doing things...but I'm certainly not putting a $1100 ACOG on it.

What are you guys running on .22lr AR's?  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
This doesn't exactly fit your bill, But I am running a Primary Arms MicroDot on their AR-15 riser. It is a red dot sight, so no cross hairs, but I do love the crap out of it, as it is light and small. Cost was 125 shipped I think. Its the Gen 3 with the Kill Flash on it.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Modified Stark SE-1 Grip
Magpul MOE Stock
Daniel Defense Fixed BUIS
Primary Arms MicroDot with Riser
Magpul AFG
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Primary Arms microdot. They have a bundle with an ADM mount for about 160 bucks. Otherwise their mount is 30 so totally outlay is like 110 for the gen 2 version and their mount before shipping.

Or do it without the mount for about 80.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got 3 AR-15's dedicated to 22 LR.  One mimics my 16" duty rifle which wears an E O Tech and MI folding buis, I have a second 16" rifle with a float tube which has a folding front site and a MI fold buis.  I have a Simmons 5 MOA red dot and a Tasco 2.5 X 10 scope that I switch back and forth.  My 3rd AR is a 16" bull barrel DPMS 22 which also wears a Tasco 2.5 X 10.  I like the 2.5 X 10 scope because on 2.5 power the scope is almost as fast a red dot but with the higher power these scopes are good enough to shoot targets to more than 100 yards.  I even have a 2.5 X 10 AO mil dot illuminated cross hair scope on my 20" flat top AR.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried the electronic and dot style sights on my Spikes dedicated 22LR. Finally, I settled on a 3-9X with mil dots.This seems to work the best for me at all ranges. Since I use a carry handle mount, I can also fall back to the iron sights through the see-through mount on the handle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Weaver V3 in a RRA high rise mount.

Crosshairs, 3x when you want it, totally reliable.

About 150 for the scope and 50 for the mount...might find the mount cheaper on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm running iron sights.

The only optic I ever put on it was a spare ACOG I have laying around. I thought it was silly to put an $800 scope on a .22lr too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I run a Primary Arms M3 on mine. If you find you want/need magnification you can always add one of their magnifiers for another $70-100, I think, depending on which model and mounts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got an old CompM on mine.  Works nice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoint micro on my 7.5" 22lr.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I put a Millet DMS-1 on my s&W.
I love it.  It works well, has the modified hairs, but keeps the military look
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
here is what I bought:
http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-PEPR-Combo-P42148.aspx

scope by itself:
http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-PEPR-Combo-P42148.aspx
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait for the new 4x Primary Arms scope. Last one was somewhat like an ACOG clone. New one will have a different reticle?

For no magnification their microdot is good, and cheap...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is how I scoped my MP15-22.

I bought a Redfield 2-7X33. See it here:

http://redfield.com/riflescopes/

Then I sent the scope to Leupold (since they own Redfield)and had them adjust the parallax to 50 yards. Total cost for the scope plus parallax adjustment was about $150.

I used a one piece scope mount from Rock River:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=385

Total cost for the mount was about $65.

All costs include shipping.

While I'm not going to put a super cheap scope on any rifle I own, seems to me that spending much more than I did does not get you much added benefit considering the limits of the MP15-22. It's a fun rifle that works very well with Federal bulk pack ammo - it's not all that accurate.

Part of my motivation here was to keep with USA products - sort of. The Rock River base is made in the USA (I asked them and they confirmed). The Redfield is full of foreign parts - but at least it's assembled in the USA.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Wait for the new 4x Primary Arms scope. Last one was somewhat like an ACOG clone. New one will have a different reticle?

For no magnification their microdot is good, and cheap...

Do they still sell the "last one?"  And when is the new one due out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top