Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 8:06:57 PM EDT
Hey all.  I thought I would put this together to compare available rimfires.

Other than the 5mm (which has no parent), it shows the .22 parent to the left of the .17 child:

Eric  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a really nice picture you posted especially since I'm familiar with all the rounds shown.
I bought a Remington 591 rifle back when they first came out and thought the 5mm rimfire magnum was really great! Remington decided to stop production and I was left with a rifle with limited ammo availability -- today the 5mm ammo is a collector's item. I decided to go to the centerfire conversion which works great and the brass can be reloaded. I will have to admit that since the .17 HMR came out I have put the Remington 5mm back in storage.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been pushing for a return of the 5mm Rimfire.  I think the caliber is a fine choice between a .17 HMR and a small centerfire like the Hornet or Bee.

I've put a link below to part I of my quest to bring it back.  BTW, if you hit my "Classic Calibers" page, I have a bunch of old magazine stories on the 5mm in PDF format.

The centerfire conversion is definitely on my list of things to do.  I bought another bolt off EBay just to preserve my rimfire capabilities.

Eric  

Enjoy!

www.varminter.com/particles/5mmpartone.htm
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]
You will really like trying the centerfire setup. Most people that have worked up loads for the 5mm are equal to or past the 17 HMR in velocity and that is with a heavier bullet. I bought my conversion from a fellow in California that makes a complete bolt front end so you can save the original bolt parts. I made the mistake of getting 20 caliber V-max bullets that, when loaded, are too long for the magazine but can be single fed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Savage in 17HMR about a year ago and fell in love with the rifle. Squirrels fear my property now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought a Savage in 17HMR about a year ago and fell in love with the rifle. Squirrels fear my property now.

Yep, I was skeptical of the HMR at first but I love it now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top