Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:13:23 PM EDT
I recently switched to minimags for my 10/22.  When I zeroed it at 50 yards, all was well.  But when I shot it with the same zero at 25 yards, it was printing about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to the right, dead on vertically.  I tried again at 50, and still right on.  This doesn't seem to makes sense to me.  Do other rifles do this?  What might cause it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Very odd. Is this with a scope or irons?

What was the wind like that day?

If you're zeroed POA/POI at 50, your POI should be about an inch low at 25.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Scope.  I would have expected what you predict as well.  There was a little wind, but it was consistant enough that I doubt it was the issue.  I've got no idea what would make this happen.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay, here are some possibilities:

1. Scope not centered over bore.

2. Canting (tiliting) the rifle as you shoot. You sighted in compensating for this at 50, and it showed up at 25.

3. Scope parallax. If your scope is set for 50 or beyond, you could easily have enough parallax to throw it off that much at 25. I've seen parallax move the crosshairs as much as 2-3" in any direction at 25 yards!

4. Wind could be a factor. Your 50 yard sight-in compensated for it, but wind effect is negligable at 25.

5. Some combination of any or all of the above factors.

Check your parallax, make sure the gun is straight up and down, and try your test again on a calm day. I bet you get a different result.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top